Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
I have a 1975 914 in Lagoon Blue with white interior. I purchased the car from AA over a year ago and they put a 1.8 motor in it from a 1974 model. I would like to get some history on the car, especially find out if it originally came with a 1.8 or a 2.0.

The Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche only provides the following info:

ID#: 4752901915
Model year: 1975
Engine #: 000444
Exterior paint color/code: Lagoon Blue/J1V9
Optional Equipment: U.S. Equipment, Tinted glass all around, Intermittent windshield wiper

I don't know if anyone can determine the engine size from this, but I appreciate any information.

cantley914
Isn`t there an engine code prior to the engine#(ie: EC 000444 or GC 000444) ?

EC would make it a 1.8L as opposed to GC which would be a 2.0L

Steph

type.gif
SirAndy
check out the "info" section for a listing of valid engine numbers ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
I think you guys missed the question. He has the abbreviated number from Porsche, but he doesn't have the original engine from which to read the engine code. I'm not sure there are any records of which cars were 1.8s, and which ones were 2 litres.
The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
With luck, there is still an emissions sticker in the engine bay. It will say, among other things, what the displacement of the engine is--in cubic inches! The 2.0 liter was listed as 120 ci, while the 1.8 would obviously be labeled as having less.

--DD
Gary#
Jack's to open.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/914catalo...ne-numbers.html
rwjames
I don't see an sticker in the engine bay. Where would it normally be located?

They replaced the insulation pad, but everything else looks fairly original. I would have thought they would have at least removed the rust from the engine tin and halfway detailed the engine compartment since they installed the engine from another car. However, they didn't clean up much so the sticker may be in there.

Thanks for your help.
Dave_Darling
On my car, the sticker is on the left-side wall of the engine bay. I know other cars have had them in other locations, though.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.