Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Father-in-law considering '72 Fiat 124
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

My father-in-law (currently has a '57 Buick Super) has a lead on a '72 Fiat 124 that's been in storage for 10 or so years since the owner moved to Texas. Apparently, upon hearing of his interest, owner dropped the title in the mail to the "storer" and said to make an offer. So my father-in-law asked me to help research value and specifics to inspect when we go see it.

If anyone knows of a good Fiat resource, let me know.

(My wife already blames me for giving him the itch, and says if mom-in-law finds out, she's gonna be pretty pissed at me as well... happy11.gif )
Dr. Roger
is there anything worse than a FIAT?

whoops, did I say that?
tdgray
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 20 2006, 08:58 PM) *

whoops, did I say that?

Um I second that...Ooops did I say that biggrin.gif

Jeez man... at least point him in the right direction of an MG... or forgivingthat maybe just maybe a Triumph...

But NEVER and I mean NEVER a Fiat.
lapuwali
I'll take a look at pics. Like it or not, I seem to be the resident FIAT guy here.

Coupe or Spider? If it's a Coupe, and it's nice, it's worth lots more, as these are very rare in the US. The '72 (BC series, I believe) is also the prettiest. Spiders (aka convertibles) are much more common, but still very nice cars.

124 parts are plentiful and cheap. FIAT guys rival 914 guys for cheapness. They used several different engines over the years, all twincam fours. 1438, 1608, 1757, and 1995 are the sizes. Most were carbed, usually with a single progressive Weber. Pretty much all US cars have a 5-speed gearbox. The engines all basically inter-swap, so it could have anything in it. I did once see a 124 Spider with a pushrod 1100 engine in it (bolts up).

Look for rust, of course. Karmann invented rust, then licensed the process to the Italians is the old joke. Usual spots: bottom of doors, fenders, under the battery. Door sag, particularly on the driver's side, is not uncommon. Old hinges. The gearboxes are inherently noisy. New gearboxes are available off the shelf for $1200, so it's not a huge deal if it's shot. On a Spider, interiors are often badly faded and cracked, but everything is still available new.

If it's a Coupe, body panels are unobtanium, so if it needs anything, you'll need to find a good body man to fix the panels you have rather than replace them.

You should plan on replacing the timing belt right away no matter what the seller says. They only last 30K miles or so, and it's an interference engine, so get that done. There's a tensioner bearing that's commonly replaced at the same time.

The wheels are a strange bolt pattern only used by FIAT: 4x98.

For more info still, look at www.mirafiori.com. Nowhere near as nice as this board, but that's where the FIAT guys hang out.
lapuwali
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 20 2006, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 20 2006, 08:58 PM) *

whoops, did I say that?

Um I second that...Ooops did I say that biggrin.gif

Jeez man... at least point him in the right direction of an MG... or forgivingthat maybe just maybe a Triumph...

But NEVER and I mean NEVER a Fiat.

I owned an MGB...I didn't own another British car for 20 years because of that car.

yawn.gif

At least a 124 has coil springs, tube shocks, and disc brakes at all four corners. Not the ox-cart, outdated in the 1930s stuff they stuck on the MGB...

poke.gif
blitZ
Fix
It
Again
Tony

Just warn him, if he gets it, people will often mistake it for a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.