Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [wot] need some ebay help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Here's the scoop...
I've been unloading a bunch of random stuff on ebay to try to make a few bucks. Most transactions, including many international sales, have gone very well. Except one. I haven't use a film camera in many years and descided to sell off a couple of SLR packages. One of these sales just went wrong.

I wrote in the ad that I haven't use the camera in years and that it was to be sold as is but worked the last time I used it. It even had film loaded when I opened the back to take a picture. I removes the film and sold the whole package, body, lens flash, bag, manuals, books, straps etc. for under $200. I had a higher bid but canceled the bid before the auction closed because he was new, no feedback and wouldn't return my emails.

The winner complained because it took me a week to get to the post office. I just started a job and couln't get there till Saturday. I appologised, but he wasn't happy. Now he gets the package and tells me the camera won't load film. He said he tried the lens and flash on another camera just like this one and they work fine. He want's to return the camera for a full refund including shipping.

My worry is that he's trying to return a camera that's not the one I sent him. I stated clearly that the camera was untested and sold as is. I started teh bidding really low due to this fact.

What would you do in this case?

Thanks
Hammy
To me and in my experience, as is is as is.
highways
Let him return it, but he has to cover shipping. He took his chances on 'as is'. And yeah he should just grow up and deal with it, but it's also nice to keep your feedback score up there. One negative can mess it up. On the other hand... you might go through the whole return thing and he could still leave negative feedback. Sticky situation.
Thack
What the hell did he buy your camera for when he has one that works? For all the other gear? I smell a scam. Your definitely getting back a camera that won't work, if you allow a return. You should have written or took a pic of the serial number of the camera body. If your auction says as is, you are in the right. He doesn't have good enough grounds to return it.
If you do accept a return take everything back, lenses, body, flash...all of it
bob91403
Cameras have serial #s. I hope you wrote it down somewhere. Unfortunately some manufacturers stamp it on the bottom cover plate, which could easily be swapped with a non-working camera. Tell him it was sold "as is", but be honorable and flexible. It could have been damaged in transit, he could have paid for insurance. Offer him a sincere apology and a partial refund. He can probably have it repaired. Most SLRs can be overhauled for about $60, if it's not an electronic problem. Then it would cost more than the camera's worth. But, if he wants a full refund, have him pay for shipping, and insist that he return everything. If it is received as sold, and is your original camera, refund it then. huh.gif
VegasRacer
#1 - Congratulations on the new job. smilie_pokal.gif

#2 - 'As Is' means as is. The seller knew he was taking a chance. You were not trying to deceive anyone. $170 is a low price. He got what he paid for. If he paid with Paypal he could file a complaint or try to cancel the payment. If he goes through the official 'Dispute' process you will win. Do not give him a full refund for a partial return.

I see the buyer does not have a lot of previous transactions. The only other recent purchase he made was another camera. Also, he is not in the habit of leaving feedback. Remember, no matter how this situation is resolved he could still give you a negative. (That is why the seller should never leave positive feedback first.)
riverman
Tell him you have the serial number (even if you don't) and that if he sends it back, it better be the correct camera - then make him pay shipping too. If he whines, tell him 'as is' means 'as is' and to enjoy his new camera.
boxstr
It depends on whether you intend to stay on ebay as a seller, in the future he can give you negative feedback.
You could tell him to return the camera and after you receive it you will return the money, no questions asked. If he refuses, then you can do no more.
CCL
mharrison
It was AS-IS. He took a chance. It didn't work out. I'm sure he didn't pay the same price he would have for a "guaranteed to be working camera".

IF you're feeling generous, have him return the camera at his expense, refund him the winning amount minus the final auction value fee and listing fee after you've received it.
djm914-6
Thank you guys. I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not beeing an asshole. I descided to contact ebay first and see what they say in this mater.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.