Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Cleaning/Care
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
RogerYellow914
The original owner used black shoe polish on the top and valances. This looks great for about 10 minutes to a few days, depending on how hot it is outside.

So far the best results I've had are with Meguires gel coat boat polish and wax. After I wax it, I "spit shine" with quick detailer and a terry cloth towel. But, it still leaves some white residue in the bottom of the rough textured top.

I've also tried Mother's Back to Black. It was oily and left an uneven finish.

I found something called "Gel Glosser" at Lowe's that sounded promising from reading the label. Ugh! What a mess it made. The entire top pretty much turned grey.

Using regular polish and wax left more white wax residue that the boat stuff.

Anyone have any other techniques/products they have found works? I'm not interested in smoothing and painting the top.

-Roger
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Jun 20 2006, 09:47 PM) *

The original owner used black shoe polish on the top and valances. This looks great for about 10 minutes to a few days, depending on how hot it is outside.

So far the best results I've had are with Meguires gel coat boat polish and wax. After I wax it, I "spit shine" with quick detailer and a terry cloth towel. But, it still leaves some white residue in the bottom of the rough textured top.

I found something called "Gel Glosser" at Lowe's that sounded promising from reading the label. Ugh! What a mess it made. The entire top pretty much turned grey.

Anyone have any other techniques/products they have found works? I'm not interested in smoothing and painting the top.

-Roger

Roger,
If no one else has said it, welcome.png
Through the years, I don't think there's a product i haven't tried on the top. Turtle Wax used to make a product called (I think) Black Vinyl Top Dressing - goes back a few years, eh? Used it with great succes in the 70's, but it took a LOT of buffing to leave no residue. It did leave the top & edges very black - black shoe polish may not be a bad idea for the bottom edges, just buff, buff, buff.

Since the 80's I've used Meguiar's Intensive Protectant & Final "Whatever" with a lot of success. Never, ever use Armorall - for anything, not even tires - destructive!

For those who's top has become extremely faded/fogged I'd recommend - get this- black shoe polish (don't think Turtle Wax for vinyl tops is around anymore)& a LOT of elbow grease! Except in rare circumstances, re-painting in not needed, just some TLC.

Good luck & let us know how it comes out - sounds like you have a good foundation!

Don't use conventional wax - too hard to remove, though it does a good job.
tod914
I think shoe polish is about the worst thing you can put on it. The PO of my car did that.. Im still trying to get some residuals off. Everytime you take off the top, guarnteed youll get it all over your clothing if it presses against it.
GWN7
On my 68 convert I used to use a product called "Black Top Wax". It had a foam aplicator that you used to spread the tinted wax on with. I just used to let it dry and it looked great till the next washing.....can't remember who made it ....I'll look to see if I still have some
Jasfsmith
Pat:

Ditto on the on the Turtle Wax "Black Vinyl Top Dressing". I'm nearly out and have been watching the discount stores for the past few years hoping to come across a few cans.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 21 2006, 09:39 AM) *

Pat:

Ditto on the on the Turtle Wax "Black Vinyl Top Dressing". I'm nearly out and have been watching the discount stores for the past few years hoping to come across a few cans.

sad.gif

I haven't checked directly w/Turtle Wax, but I don't think it's mfg'd anymore. At least under that name. Still have one unopened can left, but I rarely use it. Seems like one treatment & proper cleaning of the car make it last for quite a while.
RogerYellow914
Pat,

Thanks for the welcome. And thank everyone for their input.

I'm suprised that a something that sounds like a vinyl dressing would be effective on this top. I don't know that much about gel coats, but I would think that a vinyl dressing would be made for a more porous material.

Anyone tried Lexol Vynolex (sp?) on the top?

-Roger
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Jun 22 2006, 11:34 AM) *

Pat,

Thanks for the welcome. And thank everyone for their input.

I'm suprised that a something that sounds like a vinyl dressing would be effective on this top. I don't know that much about gel coats, but I would think that a vinyl dressing would be made for a more porous material.

Anyone tried Lexol Vynolex (sp?) on the top?

-Roger

Roger,
A couple of have had good luck with the Turtle Wax product, but it does take a lot of work. At first glance you may think the product looks like black shoe polish, but it's not. You need to work in the shade, and fairly quickly - and in sections. You apply it by brushing it into the textures with a soft bristle brush. Then buff it off before it dries, and buff again with a soft cotton cloth until the cloth comes up clean.

I've used it since vinyl tops were placed on cars and usually got about 3 months out of an application when my car was washed frequently & sat outside. But that's been a lot of years. My last application was about 5 years ago & it still looks perfect, though my 914 is garaged & rarely driven & I never wash the top anyway.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't even know if it's still made. Haven't really looked for it in a while & I still have an unopened can (dated 1979!).

Don't recommend using it on tires - looks too shiny & WAY too much work. Too many easier products available these days.
Pat
BigDBass
I used Mother's Back-to-Black and am so far happy with the results. There were a couple greyish streaks beforehand that I was not able to get off, but the Back-to-Black seemed to take care of it (took 2 applications on one "streak")
RogerYellow914
I saw an infomercial for Turtle Wax ICE wax this weekend. I'm going to give it a try. I'll provide a report here.

-Roger
anthony
What is the coating on the targa top? Is it some kind of texturized paint?

I'm also wondering if anyone has ever tried polishing a top with a random orbital polisher?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 7 2006, 06:03 PM) *

I'm also wondering if anyone has ever tried polishing a top with a random orbital polisher?

I've used a random orbital polisher once on mine (with the top off the car) & one of Meguiar's waxes. Did a pretty decent job, but I had too many swirl marks to deal with afterwards. Went back to my hand job (not THAT one!) method using Turtle Wax vinyl top dressing. It's always worked best for me, but YMMV.

I cannot remember positively, but seem to recall that the top of the glass was "pebbled" & then painted black.
RogerYellow914
I don't think the tops are painted. They are fiberglass gel coat. That's why I'm wondering why people are using vinyl treatments on them. It just makes a mess in my experience. And it's the reason why I've tried the boat polish and wax products. It's also the reason some people sand 'em and paint 'em. Then you can treat it like the rest of the car.

It's a textured surface because to hide the waviness that comes out in the top due to the manufacturing process. The texture is what makes it such a PITA to polish and wax.

-Roger
anthony
When I've tried wax on mine it took on a grey haze. Vinyl protectant makes it look the best but it also attracts dirt and as you say makes a mess.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 7 2006, 02:28 PM) *

I've used a random orbital polisher once on mine (with the top off the car) & one of Meguiar's waxes. Did a pretty decent job, but I had too many swirl marks to deal with afterwards. Went back to my hand job (not THAT one!) method using Turtle Wax vinyl top dressing. It's always worked best for me, but YMMV.

I cannot remember positively, but seem to recall that the top of the glass was "pebbled" & then painted black.

I came across a product this past weekend that looked promising. The name is "Restore Black" by Bondo. Gave it a whirl and found it to match the results of the Turtle Wax vinyl dressing. For lack of a better discription, it looks like a liquid (thicK) version of the Turtle Wax. Two applications later, the top looks ever bit as good as the Turtle Wax results. Definitely worth the $6.00. Google it for more info.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 10 2006, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 7 2006, 02:28 PM) *

I came across a product this past weekend that looked promising. The name is "Restore Black" by Bondo. Gave it a whirl and found it to match the results of the Turtle Wax vinyl dressing. For lack of a better discription, it looks like a liquid (thicK) version of the Turtle Wax. Two applications later, the top looks ever bit as good as the Turtle Wax results. Definitely worth the $6.00. Google it for more info.

Will do - right away. Opened my Turtle Wax today (canned in '79!) & it is dry as a bone, so I'll need something. Thanks for the tip.
914rrr
My last 914 had a PO that got REALLY carried away with waxing. She had waxed not only the top, but the rockers and both valences too! Result was a greyish swirled mess.

This may sound strange...but I used straight Mineral Spirits and a soft scrub brush followed by a soft /strong paper towels (Brawny) and then washing it. It took several applications, but it finally got the wax residue off. It did seem like it was starting to rub down some of the texture on the top towards the end of the job, though.
GWN7
I just tryed a product called "Color Cure™ Car Polish" by Turtle Wax. Available in Black, Blue, Red & Green. It comes with a "chip stick" which is nothing more than a cheap crayon. The directions say if you have a chip in the paint use the chip stick to fill in the chip and then use the wax and build layers to the level of the paint. It also says it fills-in swirl marks and light scratches.

So I figured if it makes my 20' paint job look like a 10' paint job it will be worth the money ($19.95)

What it dosen't say on the bottle is you should wear plastic gloves when putting it on. I now have black finger nails.

My paint job is now a 18' one. Even after using 9 buffing pads there is still a residue left on the paint (run your hand across the paint and there is Black on it).

It's suppost to leave the paint a deep, brilliant shine. Nope to that too.

What it is good for is the vinal on the targa bar and sides. Mine was old looking. Greying. This stuff made it look a bunch better (read darker) and was able to fill in the edges by the moldings and unlike a dye you can wipe off excess without problems.

It possibly would be good on a roof but as mine is painted on this car I don't know.

As a wax/scratch filler, very poor. For vinal, good.

GWN7
Update*** "Color Cure™ Car Polish" by Turtle Wax

It rained today....you know how when you wax a car the rain beads up and runs off...well not with this crap. It looks like it washes off.....and the vinal is back to almost the way it was before......

Two thumbs down or one finger up to this product
914runnow
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Jun 20 2006, 05:47 PM) *

-Roger

Well on the flavor of the top...
Paterek: sayz they are shot with body shutz...(3M is ok)
then the paint from Wurth that is a black for valances and rockers...
Due to the nature of fiberglass..They do need to get re sanded..
re shot and repainted....
OKay now for the 'Trip'!!
Went to a Porsche Mechanics shop here in town..
I saw a 914 with a peculiar paint color and top finish..
It belonged to a woman who decided to get the car to 'match'
one of her nail polish colors....(go figure)
Next the top was..
RHINO LINER COATED..Yep like the truck beds!!!!
Tough as Nails....NOT very Pretty..
OK time for the .10 cent question..
"Why the bumps and the 2 long grooves"?
Why not just smooth????? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 8 2006, 10:30 PM) *

-Roger

Next the top was..

I "suspect" the textured finish was designed to blend with the vinyl sail panels of the appearance group cars.
The "2 long grooves" are rain channels. Instead of rain simply washing down the sides of the roof as you exit the car (& on you) it accumulates in the channels & drains away from the edges. Not that you won't get wet anyway - has anyone ever seen 914 tops side seals that actauly sealed out water for more then a month after they were installed?
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 11 2006, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 8 2006, 10:30 PM) *

-Roger

Next the top was..

I "suspect" the textured finish was designed to blend with the vinyl sail panels of the appearance group cars.
The "2 long grooves" are rain channels. Instead of rain simply washing down the sides of the roof as you exit the car (& on you) it accumulates in the channels & drains away from the edges. Not that you won't get wet anyway - has anyone ever seen 914 tops side seals that actauly sealed out water for more then a month after they were installed?

Ding Ding on the channels...
The reason on the beading on the top was for 'rain control' ..
Thus not allowing it to slide right off..
Yes I agree on the seal issue,,,,,
But it all boils down to the 'convertible' mentality as I am told..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.