Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which engine will work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stags14
I can get a screaming deal on a brand new GM crate engine. Being the novice that I am with my 914, would any of these engines be a decent choice???

12499679 Ecotec 2.2L Production Engine
This 4 cylinder Crate Engine (RPO L61) has the following features:

DOHC with Sequential Fuel Injection
Bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke is 94.60 mm with 10:1 compression ratio
140 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 150 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque
This engine powers the current Saturn Ion, Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire and Grand Am, Oldsmobile Alero, and Chevrolet Malibu
This production engine includes: exhaust manifold, intake manifolds, injectors, fuel rail, balancer and water pump

Technical Notes: Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator, and engine cover, are not included with this engine

12499469 3800 Series II Supercharged Production Engine
This supercharged V-6 Crate Engine (RPO L67) features the following:

240 Horsepower @ 5200 RPM and 280 lb-ft @ 3600 RPM torque
Sequential fuel injection
Bore is 96.52 mm and Stroke is 86.36 mm with 8.5:1 compression ratio
Iron Block, Iron Heads and Hydraulic roller design camshaft
This engine powers the Buick Park Avenue, Chevrolet Monte Carlo
This production engine includes:exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, supercharger, injectors, fuel rails, balancer, water pump and flywheel

Technical Notes: Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator and engine cover are not included with this engine

12499466 Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged Production Engine
This supercharged 4 cylinder Crate Engine (RPO LSJ) features the following:

DOHC with Sequential Fuel Injection
Bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke 86.00 mm with 9.5:1 compression ratio
205 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque
This engine powers the Saturn ION Redline
This production engine includes: exhaust manifold, intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail, balancer, water pump and flywheel

Technical Notes: Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator, and engine cover are not included with this engine
type47
either would be a deal but the installation of any non-stock or other motor takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the mechanical and engineering knowledge to solve problems to make things work where no one has done it before. star trek installation, go where no man has gone before.
Mueller
the V6 might be easier to fit, a lot of the 4 bangers are tall and long.

WRX914
Used Suby WRX 2.0 turbo ~ $2k

215ish HP

Definately works...
Brad Roberts
Lots of conversion talk occurring on other forums surrounding the ECO engines.

I personally would go for the Supercharged version.

Get some measurements on it.

WRX914,

do you work for Renegade?

B
stags14
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 01:08 PM) *

Where can I find these other threads? PM me if you prefer not to post publicly

Thanks,

Stags
Brad Roberts
It is mostly with the Street Rod Crowd. My dad sent them to me, but to not to an email address that I have access to here at work.

B
turboman808
Dam why go to all the trouble for 200 or 250 hp. I am so ready to drop in a wrx motor HAHA

I need 400hp yeah that's all biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Wait until you drive one with real torque and HP.

It is a never ending battle to "go faster"!!!

B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stags14 @ Jun 21 2006, 05:23 AM) *

I can get a screaming deal on a brand new GM crate engine. Being the novice that I am with my 914, would any of these engines be a decent choice???

GM? What about the ever-popular SBC? (Small Block Chevy; you know, the V8?)

--DD
stags14
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 21 2006, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(stags14 @ Jun 21 2006, 05:23 AM) *

GM? What about the ever-popular SBC? (Small Block Chevy; you know, the V8?)

--DD

That is a possibility as well.. Here is the scoop:

Our lowest priced crate engine, the 330 horsepower 350 HO doesn't sacrifice power or durability, it just pumps up the value. With its four bolt main block, nodular iron crankshaft, PM steel connecting rods and light but strong cast aluminum pistons, this engine screams durability. Add to the strong foundation a pair of 64cc Vortec cast iron cylinder heads and a dual pattern camshaft with just a bit of a "lumpy" idle, and you've got the muscle car small block that you've been looking for. Dressed to impress with chrome valve covers and timing cover, this engine will look great between the fenders of your favorite street rod, muscle car or grass roots racer. The cylinder heads on this great little performer use 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves that are sprung with 1999 Corvette L3I valve springs. The 64cc chambers yield a healthy, but streetable 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. The cam is a modern dual pattern interpretation of the old '65 to '67 Corvette 327 cam. But with more lift and duration on the exhaust side, it does a better job of clearing exhaust from the combustion chamber. We also decreased duration and lift ever so slightly on the intake side to build more cylinder pressure. The result is a cam that makes great torque and horsepower with the 350 HO's 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. Add the new dual plane intake manifold P/N 12496820, 650 cfm carburetor, HEI distributor, torsional damper, water pump and exhaust manifolds or headers and you've got an outstanding muscle motor with a broad, smooth torque curve and an honest 330 horsepower. This manifold has four bolts, not six, to attach it to the cylinder head. Older six-bolt manifolds will not fit the new Vortec heads. The 350 HO is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1975 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles.

Technical Notes: Engine ID code is CC. Requires a counterweighted flywheel or flexplate, 10105832, 14088646, 14088650, 14088765, or 12554824. See flywheel chart. Requires torsional damper 6272221 (6.75") or 12555879 (8"). Oil dipstick located on right side. 650 cfm carburetor recommended. Chrome valve covers and timing cover included. Intake manifold, distributor, flywheel, torsional damper, water pump, and exhaust manifolds are not included. Distributor P/N 1104067 or melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413 must be used on all crate engines with steel camshafts.
WRX914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 10:08 AM) *

I personally would go for the Supercharged version.

Get some measurements on it.

WRX914,

do you work for Renegade?

B

Hell no...

They just use my ideas. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.