Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: doesn't look like much
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
brant
It certainly doesn't look too impressive in this picture...
but I finally have the new tranny/clutch combo.

I'm skipping Miller motorsports park and won't be on track again for about 3+ weeks..

we (my vintage club) have been invited to be the first club to ever run the new hastings nebraska track... so I will get to try out the tranny in july.

Still, I'm real excited.
new box is F / J / O / S / V with a quaffe.

plus I'll be running some new 906 tall 2ndary venturi's with modification tips from Erik!, an innovate for tunning, some ITG's, and a Tilton multi-disc.

hope its faster!

did I mention I'm excited!

brant
Trekkor
The gear set tells the whole story!!

Awesome...It'll drive like a close ratio 6 speed.
( you don't need the stock first )

KT
sww914
I used to have a V fifth, it was too low for me. At Buttonwillow on the back straight I would run out of RPM's 2/3 of the way down. But I have a stock ring & pinion, and 225/50/15's in the back.
brant
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 28 2006, 12:36 PM) *

I used to have a V fifth, it was too low for me. At Buttonwillow on the back straight I would run out of RPM's 2/3 of the way down. But I have a stock ring & pinion, and 225/50/15's in the back.

sww...
what redline though
we're running a -6 and at times use 7500rpm.
I guess the more important way to ask this is what mph top speed do you hit?

we geared ours for our local tracks top speed at the longest straight.
I'm running an X 5th right now and Its way too high for our local tracks.
(about 20mph too high)
I'm running our longest straight at our fastest track in 4th gear now...

what redline are you using?

brant
sww914
7200 rpm, any more feels too scary. I don't have a speedo, but I think it's around 125-130. It's been several years since I did the math and figured out what my top speed was with that gear, I don't really remember, but my first thought was 127.
drew365
I'm running A Ga Ka Q V. I have a twin plug 2.7 and run 7500 to 7800. I was told that with my 245/45/16 rear tires top end would be 132, I don't have a speedo. I only hit the rev limiter on the straight at California Speedway. I have to lift about half way through and cruise the rest of the way. I havn't hit it at Willowsprings yet but I'm getting close. I've always thought that an X in 5th would have been a better choice.
brant
I'm guessing that the CA tracks are much faster straights than out here abouts.

I don't run a speedo either... but I think (going from memory) that we were shooting for 125 in the V gear. (calculated)

I've still got my -4 box of A / F / Ka / S / X if I ever come out west to your tracks.... but its way too long for our tracks around here and like I said, I'm able to redline S at around 7500 rpm and not even use the X out here...

I'm hoping with the F 1st gear that the gaps between my new box will be Tight and quick. Instead of the big gaps I'm dealing with now.
race914
@ 6800 redline:

Ka/Q/V is perfect for Laguna Seca and Sears Point

M/S/X box works great for Thunderhill and Buttonwillow

Hoping to get to Willow Springs & California Speedway to run with Drew365 someday soon. Will be bringing the M/S/X box

Hope Brant gets out to California to use that X gear!!

sww914 is a wildman and actually shifts at 8000 ohmy.gif

Just kidding Steve.
welcome.png

drew365
This is how we all learn, by sharing information. Are you figuring on using 1st in what would normally be a 2nd gear corner? When I rebuilt the box last time I put the Ga main shaft in because F seemed a little too low for second but every track is different. It would be great if we could easily change the whole gear set for each track we were on. That would be the ticket!
sww914
My whole box is A F KA S X. It works well enough most of the time, sometimes I have a little bit of a hole between 3rd & 4th, so I give the clutch pedal a tiny stab to raise the RPM's for a sec., and it all works out.
If I had enough $$$ to build another box, I could probably afford to run better tires than Victoracers also, but this is how fast I can afford to go for now.
Thinking about it, I have another tranny sitting here, I should scrounge up an M third and a Q fourth and the sideshifter rods and put something together.
And Greg, I only run it up to 8,000 if I need to to try to blow past YOU!
nine14cats
With our 2.7L six we used a KA-Q-V with a 7500 RPM redline. This box was really nice for the norcal tracks we run and even Thunderhill, due to our higher redline. Right now I have a stock box and a M-S-X box on the way to me. I plan on converting the stock box to a KA-Q-V, that way the box can be changed on the car for the shorter and longer tracks.

Bill P.
brant
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 28 2006, 08:30 PM) *

This is how we all learn, by sharing information. Are you figuring on using 1st in what would normally be a 2nd gear corner? When I rebuilt the box last time I put the Ga main shaft in because F seemed a little too low for second but every track is different. It would be great if we could easily change the whole gear set for each track we were on. That would be the ticket!

yep...
thats the plan..
use first gear for all of the super tight "F" gear corners and for slow starts.

if its a tiny bit faster of a corner or a fast start then I'll use my new 2nd gear "J" and still have 3 more beyond that if needed.

I haven't driven it yet..
but I should be able to cover all of the short and long tracks out here since its got what amounts to 1 extra cog.

sounds like it might not be bad at laguna either.
(which is on my list as one of 2 dream tracks I want to try someday)

doubt my lil' 2liter has enough bang to run with the CA boys in X gear.

brant
sww914
Laguna is as good as you imagine. If you have a 2.0, you can bet you won't be the only one. Our friend Greg out-drove guys with bigger engines for a long time before he got a bigger engine. It's not the size, it's how you use it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.