Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Round side markers flash with turn signals...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
No, it not a miracle, or the eighth wonder of the world... but this is how it came about.

I was driving on a 2 lane county road and was making a left turn (without a designated left turn lane). I turned on my blinker to indicate my turn. Sitting on the 2-laner I was turning onto was another car wanting to turn on to my current road (turn left as well). Just as I began my turn, the guy, probably thinking I was going to continue straight, starts to pull out right into me. I swerved and he braked and no paint was swapped. That incident got me thinking about my Audi which has a designated turn signal flasher on its front quarters behind the wheel wells. I know when changing lanes on multilane roads, I am glad I have it to signal other drivers who may not see my rear turn-signal that I am changing lanes. I decided to do close to the same on the 914 for those that are either blind or can't see the front flasher.

The mod is super easy and will take about 45 mins to do both sides and only requires some wire and a couple garden variety connectors. No special multifilament bulbs required.

What you get is:

With head/running lights off, both lights flash in unison.
With head/running lights on, they alternately flash back and forth
Emergency flashers work the same as above.

All functions other functions are otherwise normal.

So here's what you do:

1. Remove the 2 rubber covers to the lights inside the wheel-well (the round side light and the front turn/signal running light).
2. Disconnect the brown ground wire from the side marker light and either tape it up or seal it securely since it will no longer be used. I wrapped mine up and left it in the rubber boot.
3. Thread a single piece of suitable gauge wire through the ends of both rubber boots. Since the boots tend to be rather dry and crusty, you might want to use a rubber friendly lube.
4. Attach a female spade to the wire end in the side marker boot. This will attach to the disconnected ground lead on the light.
5. Splice the other end of the wire (in the turn signal assembly) to the single wire connection - lowest position of the three connections.
6. Test your lights/signals/e-flashers.
7. Button things up, have a cold one and feel good about yourself and this cool looking and quick saftey mod.
Dr. Roger
I'm doin' it.
Got a pic, before and after?

Thanks so much... =-)

Rog
RickS
Rog - Thought about taking a pic, but since the area was so cramped with a bunch of wires hanging down and no good angles, I decide to just write it up. It does keep everything looking stock except for the extra wire running between the side marker and the turn signal boots.
Chris Pincetich
smilie_pokal.gif
Awesome - I've been thinking about this mod and am stoked to see you have figured it out and it really is as easy as joining the 2 adjacent lights with a single wire. I can't wait to do this right after I finish installing my 3rd brake light, replacing trunk hinges, finishing alarm and speaker install...etc dry.gif
beerchug.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
We do this on our water-pumpers...Mk.III VW's like my Jetta. Very easy to do.

I agree, I have witnessed the difference it makes. Good idea! But I shaved my front side markers cuz they is butt-ugly. Maybe I should go w/after-market units...
RickS
Ayup - this will work on any water pumper, just have to locate the wires and connections and have at it. And I agree about how fugly the markers are - butt.
Gustl
Round side markers flash with turn signals...

european cars came without these sidemarkers,
but AFAIK the Italian version used them as additional turn signals, too

but then, they flashed equally to the standard turn signals

I already thought about wiring mine like the Italien ones, but Austrial law doesn't allow it sad.gif

anyhow - cool idea thumb3d.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
ptravnic
I just did this mod and it was easy as pie. I love that it makes the turn signals so much more noticeable!
Cairo94507
Thanks for the write-up. This is an excellent way to increase visibility on our cars. This was on my build-list along with the high-mount brake light. Now to just make them LED's....
pyolet
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...rmpc.htm#photos

Will these work?

W.
GaroldShaffer
beer.gif Thanks for the easy write-up
Krank
Would this be similar to the way older GM pick ups/van have their side lights wired where the ground from the front light passes through the side marker filament?
RickS
QUOTE(Krank @ May 1 2011, 06:15 PM) *

Would this be similar to the way older GM pick ups/van have their side lights wired where the ground from the front light passes through the side marker filament?

It sure is. When you can't be original, be a good mimic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.