Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh air intake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
Ok on the frt cowl of all the cars are the vertical slits feeding the Fresh air intake box. On SOME of the cars there is a plastic screen with checker pattern installed just under.
What yrs What option pkg, what criteria did they come to exist?
Are they still available?
Most that all that I have seen have been on cars with a re-paint & just get trashed.
URY914
Good question.
914werke
It thought so... biggrin.gif

Bueller, Bueller........... chair.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 21 2006, 09:40 PM) *

It thought so... biggrin.gif

Bueller, Bueller........... chair.gif

beer.gif

Bueller's home sick...............

The inyake screen was not on 70-72 models. I'm pretty certain it started with the mid-year 73's.
McMark
Nope, later. 75/76.
Van914
McMark,
My 74 has one.
van914
URY914
My '73 did not have one. Maybe they started with "74? confused24.gif
914werke
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 23 2006, 07:07 AM) *

My '73 did not have one. Maybe they started with "74? confused24.gif

Mark are you sure? Thats why I ask I seem to recall pullin them off of 74 cars but not exactly sure.
Was it part of the "Apperance" pgk or just a smart idea recognized after yrs of complaint. If so then wouldnt it appear on ALL cars after a given date or model yr?
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I am back in town & lots of interesting stuff on the site. More from me later.

I am sure 74 was the first year for cowl vent screens. I looked at my archives & found an early 73 without the screen. If I remember correctly they may have appeared late 73, but all 74's have them. Later I'll take a picture of mine.
Story:
While restoring mine (10) years ago I was able to purchase new cowl vent screens from Porsche. The rubber seal around it was another story. I finally found a good used one for my car. The first thing when looking at 74's & later is the owner's detailing of this area. Most paint jobs paint over the screens & it looks like crap. Properly restored/originals have black screens showing through. Like McMark said the difference in a cheap and proper restoration is "details". biggrin.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
I checked my parts manual & it indicates no screen for 914-6 or "914". Shows screen on "914 1.7", which usually indiactes '73 914, as well as all future models.
TJB/914
Hi Pat,

I agree with you, sometime in 1973 the screen was included. 1974 to 1976 will definitely have them.

See the attached picture for details. Notice the rubber seal showing on the front side. It's hard to find one in good shape. Used ones always have paint on them from prior use. This is the first area I look at when judging the quality of restoration or original condition. To do the proper job everything has to be removed under the cowl to get it detailed to this standard.

Tom
Pat Garvey
Tom,

Wow! Thanks for doing it properly!! Wow!

Everyone seems to trash these things when it comes tme to repaint. Did it right! Beautiful, almost wish I had one - but it would make detailing even more diff. Happy to see your back from your trip - STUMP us!
Pat
McMark
I knew it wasn't on most of the 73s I've seen. So I figured it would follow the usual pattern of 73/74 and 75/76. I stand corrected, 74-76 it is.
JeffBowlsby
My early 1974 914 has the fresh air intake screen...VIN 1465. This car has many 1973 details like silver center gauges, metal tailbadges, wide red-zone oil temp gauge and more, FWIW.
VWnDRAG
The 914 & 914-6 Porsche, A restorer's guide to authenticy.
tod914
Probally introduced the same time as the plastic threshold plates??
jk76.914
I bought one from Stoddard's, back in 2002. That doesn't mean a thing today, availability-wise, but they had to back order from Germany even then. I seem to recall it was about $20.

The real issue is the seal. Even with the new grill, I ended up using the old seal. It was still intact and pliable, but you can see the thin line along the bottom edge of the slots- that's the old platinum metallic that the 2nd owner repainted the car in 1980. (It came white from the factory back in 1975.)

Anybody have a solution for the seal? Good used? or some hidden cache of new ones?

Jim

(sorry about the crummy picture).

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Hi Jim & all others.

I agree the seal is a big problem. I am surprised no one has mentioned the chrome washer nozzles change over about mid 73. I know "black" washer nozzles are 1974 & beyond. If I remember corrently the chrome ones are NLA & black??? Comments!!!!!

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 25 2006, 07:11 PM) *

Hi Jim & all others.

I agree the seal is a big problem. I am surprised no one has mentioned the chrome washer nozzles change over about mid 73. I know "black" washer nozzles are 1974 & beyond. If I remember corrently the chrome ones are NLA & black??? Comments!!!!!

Tom

drooley.gif
I have four spare chromies & as much as I like you guys, they ain't available! Gotta look out for #1.

Did the black ones change from el-cheapo aluminum to plastic? If nor, why not have them stripped & re-anodized? All you have to do is drop one on the garage floor & it's toast - very malebale!
McMark
Chromes are still available, they're exactly the same as VW ones, so there's lots of sources.

$14.75 each at Pelican.
GWN7
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 03:20 PM) *

Anybody have a solution for the seal? Good used? or some hidden cache of new ones?

Jim

Yes, McMark asked me to make one.

With the help of Doug. He sent me the pieces of a old one and I was able to match the size and groove channel. It's not exactly as the OEM piece. It dosen't have the rounded top edges, but those could be added by triming it.

The water droplets are because I just washed it. I was testing it and dropped it

Anyone know what colour it is suppost to be. I made it Black, just because.

That's a new door handle seal in the middle........
william harris
Jeff: our early 74 cars share the same interesting 73 details. Guess Karmen used what they had on hand until they ran out.
JeffBowlsby
My 1974 early VIN 1465 has the chrome windshield washer nozzles...
914runnow
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 23 2006, 08:45 AM) *

Hi Guys,

I am back in town & lots of interesting stuff on the site. More from me later.

I am sure 74 was the first year for cowl vent screens. I looked at my archives & found an early 73 without the screen. If I remember correctly they may have appeared late 73, but all 74's have them. Later I'll take a picture of mine.
Story:
While restoring mine (10) years ago I was able to purchase new cowl vent screens from Porsche. The rubber seal around it was another story. I finally found a good used one for my car. The first thing when looking at 74's & later is the owner's detailing of this area. Most paint jobs paint over the screens & it looks like crap. Properly restored/originals have black screens showing through. Like McMark said the difference in a cheap and proper restoration is "details". biggrin.gif

Tom

#19956 4/73 build..No Screen in cowl...Have not had a chance to
'undo' a later model 73...74/75 76's I have undone..
ALL with cowl screen...
And the seals usually turn to toast..
Could have had one for my 73 back in 95...From Porsche..
They wanted $100.73 for it ..I declined..Naturally NLA TODAY!!!
It has taken me 9 cars to get one decent seal..Ok wellll
not including the man hours..Letzeeee hmmmmmm
That seal cost me about 5grand!!!!Shouldah went with Porsche...
Ohhhh but the ride and knowledge along the way!!!
914werke
So Bruce do I understand you have reproduced these?
the seal that is...
how much $ I need one.
Mine like most is oversprayed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.