Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do i get the steering wheel wire connectors back through
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger

how do i get the wire connectors (white hard plastic) from the blinker and wiper switches through the ignition/steering column housing?

those two connectors are shaped to go around the steering shaft column in the housing but the housing opening is narrow enough so that i cannot just slide them through the housing.

yes the connectors are snapped together.
yes i've tried a little flat blade screwdriver to persuade them in.

i have not tried a little spit and some words of romance.... blink.gif

help, pleeeease....
markb
I know you don't want to hear this, but they should go without too much trouble.
mikelsr
If you are talking about what I am thinking about smile.gif you should just be able to push them through from the top of the steering column. I just did it last weekend.

The first time I attempted it, it felt like I had hit a wall but I just pulled them back out and gently pushed them in making sure they were at the same angle as the steering column. As I remember they were a bit tight.
Dr. Roger
this just in......

different years have different connectors... =-)

my replacement connectors are a little thicker and wider than my original ones hence they wouldnt' fit without "modification".

my car is a '74 but i think the replacement connectors are from an older model.

cheers! =-)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 22 2006, 07:31 AM) *

different years have different connectors... =-)

i could have told you that ... biggrin.gif

the '70/'71 is even more different and will not fit a later car at all ...
smile.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
I put a late signal in my early column. PITA
to answer the question "you don't"

I had to break off the plastic wire separator and the connectors. Get heat shrink and solder each wire together keeping them very thin. all the while working with in the column housing.

Now I have a late column in a early car and man there is tons of room
to bad the column mount had to be modified to fit early dash.
Dr. Roger
yep joe,

i was thinking of not using the connectors and doing something similar to what you did. i ended up cutting out the bottom of the housing. then dropping the connectors in my new opening which worked just fine. (go ahead, call me a hack) LOL

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.