Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to be schooled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
I am confused as to what my options are for rear shocks. I am using Bilstein front struts from a 911SC with stock torsion bars up front. I have the original Boge with sagged springs on the rear. I like the ride height that the worn out springs give but need to renew both shocks and springs. Current use is a lot of street and a little DE but I do not mind a more track-type stiffness.

I like the adjustable Koni but thought it was no longer available. Can used ones be rebuilt? If so, by who? Are the adjustable perch locations on Bilsteins adequate for my intended use? Does anyone make a retrofit threaded perch adjuster for Bilsteins?

Anyone have a spring recommendation?
jhadler
Kindof a can-of-worms question there...

The first question is: What is the result you're looking for? And the use?

The second question is: What is your budget?

A good base setup would be to keep the front torsion bars, upgrade the front sway abr (to a 22mm or so), and go to something like 140# rear coil on an adjustable perch. Put Koni's at all four corners, and you'll be a happy camper.

There are a host of different things you can do, the question is: what do you want the car to do? And what are you willing to give up? A stiffer car will handle transitions better and be more responsive, but the street ride will suffer.

-Josh2
Andyrew
For 40 bucks from Coleman Racing, you have adjustable perches.

For another 100 from coleman you have new springs in exactly the lb rating you want.

Shocks are the killer here...

Koni's are still avalible, many places have them. (if you can. get yellow) And they can be rebuilt by koni themselves. bout 100 a piece IIRC.

What about your front sway bar?? 4 cylander car... Read Josh's post.

Andrew
campbellcj
Bilstein shocks are great too and can be fitted with the Coleman collars and coil-over springs. There are lots of previous threads with details and pics about this. Definitely make sure your spring and shock rates 'match' the front end of the car or it'll be spin-city.
Andyrew
Or understeer city..... even worse for autox.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.