Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil coolers for racing idiots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
OK so I'm thrashing the 2.4 six in our 90 + degree weather today up my favorite mountain road and notice the temp gauge slowly creeping up up up! ...I need to install an oil cooler as many had said. Need to get it on the car before Hoopla.

Since I'm a mechanical idiot I need help figuring out exactly what I need to buy to mount a front oil cooler.

What specific cooler, make and model number is the best for front mount?
What kind of hoses, number, size length do I need to go from the engine to front trunk and back? What kinds of fittings do I need to buy, size and quantity? Anything else? Thermostat? Can I get most of the stuff from Summit?

givemebeer.gif
DanT
Grant, biggrin.gif

you can get the hose and fittings from Royal Brass here in San Jose. I got 25 feet of hose and had one cut 12' and one 13'. You might need more since you are going to the driver side and on my four I only had to go to the passenger side. They will even install the end fittings for you right there so you don't have to fight with it.
As far as size I use AN10 IIRC.
Coolers, like Mocal, seatrab etc can be gotten from many sources.
The exact size of cooler you use will depend on how you decide to mount it.
short and wide for front vertical.
More square for floor mount like mine.
I would not use any thing smaller than a 19 row if you go with a 11 inch wide model.
I have a 25 row and my car runs very cool.

grantsfo
Floor mount seems to be the vogue location and I dont have a GT front end so I think floor mount will be what i do.
DanT
Grant,
here is the link to my initial install pics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=47338&hl=
drew365
I'm pretty sure I bought 30 ft. of braided hose and had 3 ft. left. I would make your own measurements for each line with an old garden hose if you have one. No use having it too long and taking up space and you certainly don't want to be 6" too short. I used AN-12 and ran both lines through the passenger side heat duct, into the cabin at the passenger floor against the wheel well and up into the trunk through a ready made shaft that you just have to open the two ends. The two AN-12 lines just fit through these spots. It's so tight that I couldn't have the ends on the front of the lines, so I cut off the excess line and attached the ends in the trunk which wasn't easy but I haven't had a leak in three seasons. I use a Motec thermostat because a new one came with my car, it works fine in a hot climate like L.A. I used a Porsche oil cooler with a 930 part number. Again, because it came in a big box of parts with my car. I don't think I've seen my car go over 200deg. since I installed the oil cooler, I was regularly seeing 250 before I did it.
DanT
finished product
Trekkor
Go BIG!!

KT
J P Stein
12 AN minimum.
Troutman thermostat
Fluidyne cooler.
brant
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 21 2006, 08:35 PM) *

12 AN minimum.
Troutman thermostat
Fluidyne cooler.

ditto...
I run AN-12 on a 2.0, and you would only go up from there.
(big motors need AN-16)

I recommend the fluidyne's too
in fact I put 2 of them into mine.

thermostat...hmm..

brant
Aaron Cox
*mechanical idiot* ? this is not for you then. you screw up and your motor dies. pay someone.

now...
bigger is better. again, minimum AN- 12 lines (that is 12/16" ID), biggest cooler you can afford (saves you from upgrading when you get a huger motor) and a MoCal thermostat from racerpartswholesale.com (again -12 size)

floor mount may be *adequate* for slight cooling, but ideally you need ram air and a good floor exit. lots of air flow is what makes it stay cool.

spend the money, do it right, and no problems later in life when you got a 3.6 smile.gif
brant
oh yeah...

I lived through the barely adequate situation on my old car.
had to use 3 different cooler mounting locations before I achieved enough cooling...

and if you don't remember my long story.. I tried all 3 of these with the same exact cooler. Same exact thermostat. same exact motor.

each of the 3 different mounting locations dropped the temperature another 20F

so rather than go through this 3 seperate times, I would recommend doing it Right the first time...

frontal air is good.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.