Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 ignition switch wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Pulled my ignition switch today, found one of the two screws holding the mechanical and electrical parts together was missing. Installed both screws now the switch is working. BUT when I got the switch out there was a red wire with a female spade on it that came loose from somewhere.

Tested all the circuits, the only thing not working now is the turn signals, so I think the red wire has something to do with them. The color of the wire is red, I opened the harness connector, the wire has a "R" cast into the plug. When I turn the switch to the on position the red wire is hot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Don
DonTraver
Well, I hooked up the red wire to a spade connector on the hazard light switch and everything worked while the switches were still hanging out of the dash, installed the switches, went to start the engine, SMOKE started pouring out of the dash, disconnected battery. Pulled the switches back out, the red wire was toasted. Don't understand why it worked when the switches were out of the dash and smoked when I put them back in.

Everything except turn signals still works. I replaced the smoked red wire with a new one but have not hooked it up.

I know someone out there has a print of the wiring. If you don't want to figure it out if you'd send me the print I can take it from there.

Later, Don
racerx9146
Hi Don

I have a diagram at home of the clocking of the 9146 ignition switch wires that another fellow sent to me, worked for me. I will dig it up and post tonight. (I think i know where it is)

John
lylegd
Don, the red wire goes to terminal #15 on the main light switch not the hazard light switch. When running jumper wires, I would suggest you include an inline fuse in your jumper wire to avoid problems. Lyle
DonTraver
I just got back from the parts store, bought a inline fuse, we must think alike. I'm not fond of hot unfused circuits. So terminal #15 main light switch, that's great I'll try it later today when I can get some time to work on it and report back.

Racer914-6 if you would still send me that print, I'd appreciate it. I've sent off for the guys colored prints, but I don't know if he's still around, won't answer emails, phone calls, etc. I don't get it.

Thanks, Don

DonTraver
Pulled the headlight switch, all the posts were filled with other wires, no place to attach the red wire. Also the wire is only about 4 inches long, not long enough to reach the headlight switch. Good try.

Anyone?
brp914
my -6 had a problem where #9 fuse would blow when signaling rt turn. I found that there is a strip of metal bent up on the dash frame that is likely to catch a stray terminal from the hazard switch. I bent the terminals up to keep them out of danger and havent had a problem since. good luck.
racerx9146
Not sure if that wire is coming or going from your switch but it may be the radio power wire if its a small red wire. Maybe the radio has its own power wire from a prev owner and you are just sending 12v + to any open term that looks likely?

This was created from a very bad fax from John Lowe years ago when my wires came out of my ign switch connector, worked for me, use at your own risk

John

IPB Image

DonTraver
That diagram is great. It just told me what the wire is for, right now it's just capped with a male spade fitting. It's not hooked up, just capped, I wasn't going to do anything with it until I was sure. My turnsignals still don't work, but now I know it's a separte problem. Thanks I really appreciate you help.

Later, Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.