Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a SF Bay Area machine shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
I just got an early ('69) cup-type 911 flywheel I intend to use to attach a 914 gearbox to the 2.7 I have sitting in the garage. Teeth look great, and it looks like stock thickness, but there's surface rust on the wear face. So, I need a local machine shop that can surface this thing.

Recommendations?
DanT
Ted at German Precision biggrin.gif
lapuwali
Gee, I dunno. That's like 1.5 whole miles from work. Very inconvenient. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Ted is getting picking in his old age.. biggrin.gif

Take it over to Ellsworth in Mountain View off of 101 between Rengstorff and Shoreline on .... damn.. cant recall the street name. Starts with an M.

B
DanT
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Ted is getting picking in his old age.. biggrin.gif

Take it over to Ellsworth in Mountain View off of 101 between Rengstorff and Shoreline on .... damn.. cant recall the street name. Starts with an M.

B

Middlefield? smile.gif
lapuwali
There's an Ellsworth Automotive Center on Old Middlefield, very close to Middlefield. That the one you mean?

I may have mismeasured this flywheel. The Haynes manual says the distance between the friction surface at the mounting boss should be no less than 11mm, and I'm getting around 10.8mm now that I found my calipers. There's also almost no groove left around the outer rim. This thing may be toast.

The 2.7 I have has no ring gear on the stock 915-type flywheel. Someone said that a ring gear that works with the 901 starter can be bolted on. This true? If so, where do I get one? KEP?
dimitri
The flywheel for the 901/914 trans that works with the 2.7 911 motor looks exactly
like the 914 4 cylinder flywheel, except for 6 mounting holes to the crankshaft
instead of the 5 for the 4 cylinder. Dimitri
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Take it over to Ellsworth in Mountain View...

No, not there. Not unless you like getting double-charged, having work done poorly, having them sit on your parts for a couple of months (after promising they'd be ready in two weeks), and in general dealing with a bunch of bozos.

Try Ted. Or maybe Techcraft in Redwood City or thereabouts.

--DD
mightyohm
Ellsworth is good for simple stuff, I didn't have a problem with them doing a flywheel. Sorry Dave...
KenH
OR

Jay's Precision Machine, Jay Robison, 1744 Grant St., Santa Clara, CA 95050. (408) 980-0743.

Ken
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 22 2006, 08:47 AM) *

Ellsworth is good for simple stuff, I didn't have a problem with them doing a flywheel. Sorry Dave...

Doesn't change my take on them: They're bozos and assholes. They'll lie to your face, and then try to charge you for work you never authorized. I wouldn't take a helicoil job there, let alone a flywheel.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.