Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 IS a Volkswagen ! Proof by video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I found ze evidence ... This is the new german VW FOX commercial ...

WATCH THE VIDEO

Mueller
cool video...they had some neat cars in there...as well as a few that are screwy.gif

thanks for posting
sportlicherFahrer
But that vid is from Europe! So it is still a Porsche over here........ biggrin.gif

Cool vid!
johannes
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 22 2006, 01:13 AM) *

But that vid is from Europe! So it is still a Porsche over here........ biggrin.gif

That's why I bought a reimported california 914 smile.gif with Porsche crests everywere smile.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
I love the rocking camper bus in that comercial!

If the bus is a rock'n...

Zach
Demick
Cool commercial. Gotta love the Batman Ghia
bob91403
From what I understand, the bodies were contracted to Karmann coach werks, designer of the Karmann Ghia. Who started out making horse drawn carriges, (a lot of fancy hearses, too, from what I've heard.) From there, they either went to Volkswagen, for a type IV engine, or to Porsche for their six. Then again, I don't know what makes a Porsche 912 anything but a Porsche body with a Volkswagen engine. It's all owned by the same company. Did Porsche design the body, or did Volkswagen? The label says manufactured by Volkswagenwerk AG. The only reason they even made the car at the time was that they needed it to qualify as a production vehicle to race it at LeMans. I really don't care what label is put on the car. I've driven 911s, I wouldn't own one. It's the way the teener drives that is the attraction. I don't know of any other car that is slung so low, or that pulls so little negative lateral G force. I'm sure there must be some, and, I'm sure some of you could afford them, I can't. But, did you buy one? Do you still drive a teener? I'm sure as hell glad my insurance company calls it a Volkswagen. I don't care about labels. I just love driving it. Targa rules, convertable drools. If I win the lottery, I'll pick up a Cayman in Germany and take my Dad on a golf safari. I'd still keep my teener. I enjoy being able to work on it. You all know how much fun (and a constant pain in the ass) that's been. I feel like I have two wives. They both give me a great ride, and a headache now and then.
Dr. Roger
how 'bout calling it a Porschewagen?

LOL

davep
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 22 2006, 06:58 AM) *

From what I understand, the bodies were contracted to Karmann coach werks, designer of the Karmann Ghia. From there, they either went to Volkswagen, for a type IV engine, or to Porsche for their six.

Karmann built the 914/4 completely on their production line.
Karmann built the 914/6 bodies, fully trimmed, but no drive train or suspension. Final assembly of the 914/6 was on the Porsche production line.
AFAIK Karmann was, and still is an independant contractor. The also supplied Porsche with 356 and 911 bodies. I believe they built the 924 as well. Why the tags say built by Volkswagen I don't know. VW-Porsche was a joint venture of the two companies, and Porsche bought out the VW share in 1974. So the 1975 and 1976 models were actually as much a Porsche as was the 914/6 in some ways.
Dave_Darling
My understanding is that VW had bought out Karmann shortly before production of the 914 started. And that would explain why the tags say "built by Volkswagen". And the 924 was built at an Audi plant in Neckarsulm, not at Karmann.

The 912 was a 911 body with a late 356 engine, which isn't exactly a VW engine. It may have started out as an early Type I engine, but that had been many design changes ago.

The 914 was built because Porsche needed an entry-level car, and VW needed a high-end sporty car. It was not specifically built to homologate a race car, though of course it was raced as part of its promotion. Porsche designed the car--see the earlier "Mythbusters" thread about this.

BTW, the two companies are not the same and have never been. When the Porsche company was started in 1948, it was an independant company. It has remained so ever since. The two together formed a joint company in ~1969 to help market their cars together, but that was a third company that was owned by the other two together. And in 74 Porsche bought out VW's part of it anyway.

The distinction has been blurred a bit recently, though, as Porsche has bought something like 25% of VW. Which is a very interesting move, seeing the relative sizes of the two companies.

--DD
Flat VW
Whomever is taking care of advertising lately at VW is spot on.

I enjoyed the commerical and without audio.

I STILL love this old one,

Let me hear you say Vaat?

Thanks for the link,

John
dennisc
Do I see a 356 in there also? Very quick shot
Eric Taylor
Very cool video I don't know personally I love VW's, porsches and the 914 so what which ever is fine with me. A VW sports car is a pretty cool car in my mind and so is a porsche. Whatever it is it's a kick in the pants to drive smile.gif.
Eric
grantsfo
Scary thing is that I have owned many of the production cars they flashed in that commercial.
Root_Werks
It was years ago, but I remember reading the 914 was originaly concepted as a front engined BMW which was quickly dropped and sold to VW to replace the Gia. Anyone else over here that?
Dave_Darling
Yup, and it's been debunked. See the aforementioned "Mythbusters" thread for a thorough discussion. Or do a search on "Gugelot"; that should turn up the thread.

--DD
zymurgist
QUOTE(dennisc @ Jun 22 2006, 12:20 PM) *

Do I see a 356 in there also? Very quick shot

Is this what you were talking about? I don't think it's a 356... check out the rear fender lines. Cool looking car, though.
Air_Cooled_Nut
When I swapped my rear cover on my tranny I noticed the rear-most shift fork had a VW stamped on it...and the side of the tranny has a VW stamped on it as well. Damn. I guess it really is a VW! biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 22 2006, 08:06 AM) *

how 'bout calling it a Porschewagen?

LOL

i love it. the 935 look beetle LOL
VWnDRAG
It feels like "Paternity Test Thursday" on the Maury Povitch show.
Proof, my car's daddy was a VW.

GREAT commercial. But then again, VW has always had great advertising.

Thanks Johannes smilie_pokal.gif
bernbomb914
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jun 22 2006, 10:51 AM) *

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

that is a question not a statement. so it should be...
WHO CARES??????

LOL...

AA <-- grammar police.
flesburg
All German car manufacturers buy parts from outside sources. Most German cars use ATE brakes and Bosch electrics (electronics). P designed the 356 and used as many vw parts as they could from the parts bins, to save cost. Most 356 bodies were contracted out.

Same for the 914 (P designed and final assembly with parts from parts bins where they could), although in Europe it was jointly marketed with VW, and it this country with Audi.

Same for the early 911s. Most bodies in early cars farmed out. Many parts from parts bins. The engine was unique.

Same for the Boxter, (P designed, and parts bins and assembly lines used outside even in Norway)

Same for the current 911. (Bodies now in house but transaxles farmed out.)

It is only an issue in your heads. Don't make it one.
This argument is as old as time. You can't win it because it is a parts bin car, but one hell of a car for the early 70s. Maybe the best bang for the buck available.

By the way what makes a ferarri? The brakes? The body? or the parts bin parts, or the engine?

Gee that girl has a sexy voice. I cannot even say volkswagen the way she does.
Thack
Like you said Karmann was contracted. Whomever pays the contractor titles the car. Do you think your local home builders would call their homes "Illegal Immigrant Worker Homes" ? After all they built them...

"AFAIK Karmann was, and still is an independant contractor. The also supplied Porsche with 356 and 911 bodies. I believe they built the 924 as well. Why the tags say built by Volkswagen I don't know. VW-Porsche was a joint venture of the two companies, and Porsche bought out the VW share in 1974. "

Thack
"From what I understand, the bodies were contracted to Karmann coach werks, designer of the Karmann Ghia."

The Studios of Ghia, in Italy designed the Karmann Ghia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghia
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(flesburg @ Jun 22 2006, 11:11 AM) *
...By the way what makes a ferarri? The brakes? The body? or the parts bin parts, or the engine?

Many [Ferarri owners] will say the engine. Body makes an extremely close second!

Ferarri is capitalized, just like Porsche. More police work biggrin.gif
tracks914
On my engine lid it says Porsche not VW. This came from the factory that way.The emblem on my steering wheel is a Porsche emblem not a VW emblem. That too came from the factory that way. In fact other than looking at the casting marks on the window handles or a few other parts on the car, what I see is a Porsche. The only people that I know that call it a VW are the ones that are jealous and wished they had one!!!!
As for me I drive a Porsche 914 and am proud of it. aktion035.gif
Thack
The Ghia Studios also desinged a Ferrari body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghia
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/classi...03_scg_ferrari/
johannes
He he he biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif !! I knew my new post gonna be fun ... the old "not a real Porsche" question comming again biggrin.gif ... BTW , thanks to you, I learned a few things.

The 356 looking car you see in the commercial may be a rare VW by Rometsch . I saw one a few weeks ago during a VW meeting in France.

IPB Image

I made a lot of pictures during this meeting. You can download and watch a diaporama I made.
http://johannes.fr/molsheim2006.zip
Thack
What VW is that Ferrari looking car? The one in the video near the end, possibly a concept car.
Edit: found it already
http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/200...swagen-w12.html
Lou W
What parts can I buy for my car at the Volkswagon Dealership? huh.gif
SpecialK
All I know is that I'm gonna burn that commercial to CD to show to my insurance agent........."See?....I told you it wasn't a Porsche." bootyshake.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jun 22 2006, 04:18 PM) *

What parts can I buy for my car at the Volkswagon Dealership? huh.gif

Lots of the engine parts, door handles, interior trim... If the dealer is a good one and can get old parts, at least.

I recall trying to find the gasket under the oil breather. The local Porsche dealership had the same part for about 3/4 of the price the local VW dealership did!!

--DD
Rrrockhound
What's the green car at about 9 seconds? Looks a little like a Dino...
dinomium
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jun 22 2006, 05:46 PM) *

Nope, it is not me! HA!
johannes
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jun 22 2006, 04:46 PM) *

This is a VW PUMA . Built in Brazil.

IPB Image

and I found the car they used in the commercial ... its in the Wolfsburg museum

CLICK HERE TO SEE PICTURES OF THE PUMA

driving.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(johannes @ Jun 23 2006, 12:42 AM) *

IPB Image

driving.gif
It's a BEETLE! Who designed it? How many were made?
pfierb
QUOTE(flesburg @ Jun 22 2006, 02:11 PM) *

All German car manufacturers buy parts from outside sources. Most German cars use ATE brakes and Bosch electrics (electronics). P designed the 356 and used as many vw parts as they could from the parts bins, to save cost. Most 356 bodies were contracted out.

Same for the 914 (P designed and final assembly with parts from parts bins where they could), although in Europe it was jointly marketed with VW, and it this country with Audi.

Same for the early 911s. Most bodies in early cars farmed out. Many parts from parts bins. The engine was unique.

Same for the Boxter, (P designed, and parts bins and assembly lines used outside even in Norway)

Same for the current 911. (Bodies now in house but transaxles farmed out.)

It is only an issue in your heads. Don't make it one.
This argument is as old as time. You can't win it because it is a parts bin car, but one hell of a car for the early 70s. Maybe the best bang for the buck available.

By the way what makes a ferarri? The brakes? The body? or the parts bin parts, or the engine?

Gee that girl has a sexy voice. I cannot even say volkswagen the way she does.

I think you will find that Boxters are made by Valmet in Finland
Flat VW
QUOTE(johannes @ Jun 22 2006, 03:01 PM) *

The 356 looking car you see in the commercial may be a rare VW by Rometsch . I saw one a few weeks ago during a VW meeting in France.

IPB Image

That is a beautiful car, thanks for the photo.

John rocking nana.gif
johannes
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 22 2006, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jun 23 2006, 12:42 AM) *

IPB Image

driving.gif
It's a BEETLE! Who designed it? How many were made?

Just googled "VW PUMA BRAZIL" an found a lot of pages

like this one

http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/jason.html
Matt Meyer
My father (the one who got me hooked on Porsches) calls all Porsches VWs in my presence. If he is feeling generous he differentiates the brands by callling Porsches either really nice or really fast VWs.

For example, I went to his house last Sunday afternoon wearing a new Porsche Crest hat that my daughter got me for Fathers Day my dad said, "Nice Volkswagon hat."

They have always been two seperate companies but their history and present look more tangled than anyone is admitting. How common of a name is Peich in Germany?
Thack
Did not Ferdinand Piech work at Porsche then go to VW as a CEO?

http://www.wheelsofitaly.com/wiki/index.ph...Bch&redirect=no
Thack
Ferdinand Piech also designed the VW Nardo W12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Nardo
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-VW-W12-Coupe.htm
356driver
Yikes. What an interesting array of opinions on the age old question of "is a Porsche a VW?". I'll weigh in since I have three Porsches that trace their roots back to VW to a geater or lesser degree.

356 - Very definitely "not a VW". Bodies were made by either Karmann or Reutters and have very few VW components. One exception is the headlight rims and lenses which remained interchangable with the Beetle into the 60's. The engines and trannies started diverging from VW almost immediately after the first ones rolled off the line in 1948. Anyone who has ever witnessed a 356 engine teardown or dug into other areas of the car knows they are very different from VWs.

Cayenne - Somewhat arguably "not a VW". Different body sheet metal and interior. Same chassis and suspension but tuned differently. Porsche brakes. Porsche-built 4.5 liter V8 engine (the base Cayenne does use VW's V-6 but with a different valve setup and intake manifold).

914 - Hard to argue it is "not a VW", except for the -6. It has a VW Type 4 engine (except for the -6), was badged VW in Europe (except for the -6), VW suspension and brakes (except for the -6), etc. Come on folks...

WHO CARES????
JPB
I CARE BY CRACKY! I wish I could get my parts from VW aftermarket shops and get them cheap! Yes, many parts are from VW but the rest is a pain in the rump to get dependably or at a reasonable price. The typeIV engine is no cheap puppy and how many just say get a six for that kind of money. From what I can gather, a 2.7RS is cheaper to rebuild than a T4. I saw a site which could do it for 2500$ if you send them your engine.
cassidy_bolger
[quote name='Thack' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:39 AM' post='709915']
Like you said Karmann was contracted. Whomever pays the contractor titles the car. Do you think your local home builders would call their homes "Illegal Immigrant Worker Homes" ? After all they built them...

ha ha, good point. When they builld a new concert hall, whose is it?

the architect?
the engineer?
the builder?
the developer?
the landscaper?

The answer is that it takes a lot of people to make stuff. If it's good, they all deserve some credit.

beerchug.gif

ps. I like the green scirocco - that was my first car. designed by Giorgio Guigaro.
johannes
QUOTE(356driver @ Jun 23 2006, 03:13 PM) *

was badged VW in Europe

Was badged VW-Porsche in Europe ... the 4 was sold by VW ... ecept in France where it was sold by Sonauto (official Porsche importer)

Test says "instead of 2 crying children, we provide 6 howling cylinders ...

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.