Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 rims!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkei
i have access to a set of 4 993 rims. 17x7 in the front 17x9 rear 55mm offset. can i use them with five lug hubs without spacing or will spacers be required?
Dr. Roger
no

but it's always fun to try... =-)

EDIT
keep on being an "out of the box thinker". that's how greatness is attained.
retrotech
The 7" will fit on ear without spacing, but you need 3/4 in on the front, with 7's. This is what I had with stock, rolled fenders.
Stock fenders will never handle 9's. I had to pull mine allot to get the 8's under.
Aaron Cox
where are you gonna fit the 9's??? that is GT Flare territory
Dr. Roger
monkei,

when done correctly, rolled fenders look really great.

FTI,
depending on performance tires you may see some advantages to 17" tires regarding sourcing, selection, and pricing. (compared to 15")

i wen't 18" because i think they look cool and if they're good enough for a twin turbo carrera, they're good enough for me. LOL

just something to think about. =-)
ppickerell
Mr. Simian,
I just paid your speeding tickets, and this somehow freed up your cash for 993 rims? WTF.gif KMA.gif blink.gif flipa.gif finger.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Aaron Cox
B U S T E D!!!!

that is clasic!
nebreitling
lmfao.,,..
Mueller
when you finally get off "probation" from your dad smile.gif ...here are some numbers to go by for rim shopping (and or dreaming)

not set in stone, but pretty darn close:

for stock fenders, nothing wider than 7" rims will fit in the rear, you will want rims with an offset between 23mm and 35mm (some people with 23mm offset rims say you must roll the fender lip, which is what I had to do, anything more than 35mm offset and you should have a small spacer of the prevent the tire from hitting the inside trunk wall, some people run them, some don't)

anything wider than 7" in the rear and you HAVE to flare/molest the fenders unless you "tub" it, but I don't see you going thru that trouble...

sorry, no easy or cheap solutions, you pay one way or another, you get the proper rimsif you want wide, or you pay for correctly built rims or use spacers...

Aaron Cox
to add onto mikes blurb...

a 7" with a 205 is about the biggest you can go with stock fenders in rear....

*and you have no chance with fuchs or cookie cutters without a roll - they are ET 23 as mike mentioned
Mueller
it just dawned upon me...you've got your moms Boxster and your dads C4...just wait till they fall asleep and test fit those rims smile.gif

*i'll be getting a PM from Pat telling me to piss off now, hahahha
monkei
"Mr. Simian,
I just paid your speeding tickets, and this somehow freed up your cash for 993 rims?"

kiss my arse! mad.gif nowhere did i say i had money for the damn rims. im simply asking question about future 914 ideas that i cant afford yet; just like most everyone else here.

what about making the hub part of the stub axles thicker to take up the space that spacers would be filling?

ill be waiting on doing the 18's until its more a more powerful vehicle with much better brakes. and then ill more than likely be doing full tubeframe to get better suspension on.

how much spacing is required for 9" rims on most teeners??

flaring is only aesthetic/aerodynamic as far as im concerned. ill cut it out until i can afford to make it pretty. i just want wider tires.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(monkei @ Jun 23 2006, 04:27 PM) *

flaring is only aesthetic/aerodynamic as far as im concerned. ill cut it out until i can afford to make it pretty. i just want wider tires.

please dont do something stupid like "wheel cutouts" to a clean 914. have a plan, and then proceed. this aint redneck tech... smile.gif

9" wheels..... alot.
i have 8" fuchs on rear of my ride with stretched fenders... its either alot of metal work for you (beat and repeat) or.. you need to section in metal (heat beat repeat) or buy gt flares.....

what motor do you have?

i have a screamin 2l, and i could feel a difference in accel due to more wheel/tire mass....

Mueller
QUOTE(monkei @ Jun 23 2006, 04:27 PM) *

DO THE MATH smile.gif

9" minus 7" equals 2"

you could fit a 225 or even a 245 on a 7" rim, however, you'll have to flare/modify/molest the fenders unless you do some half-ass thing like jack the ass end up like they do on some of the american muscle cars burnout.gif

if you simply "cut" the fender for clearance it's going to look like shit with the tires sticking out past the fenders...get a pickup truck if you want that hillbilly look, hahahha

Joe Bob
If ya wants late Porsche wheels get some Boxster take offs....they come in 16 and 17 x 7s....
monkei
alright alright. i wont cut anything.

i have a less than screamin two liter but i wasnt planning on putting these wheels on till i had better power.

what about the zeus fitted flares? the smooth ones that dont hug the wheel well curves but just kinda bow out to accomodate wider tires?? how much do those run? how much work to do an at least semi-clean install? will stiff suspension and road shock cause them to fall apart overtime?

im taking a welding class this summer and intend to practice quite a bit, but im not sure id be comfortable attempting to section and add more to accomodate 9" in back. how much would the fenders have to come out if i rolled the edges too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.