Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lfdrumz0929
I put carbs on my 914 and when I route the cable to the carbs this takes the cable to the middle of the engine, in the form of an "S", instead of comming from the side and the result is the cable binds, so is sticky really bad.
IPB Image
Dr Evil
For your setup you will likely benefit form a custom made cable. The stock one is probably too long for you. Try Terry cable.
lfdrumz0929
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 22 2006, 09:59 AM) *

For your setup you will likely benefit form a custom made cable. The stock one is probably too long for you. Try Terry cable.

Thanks for the reply but could you give me a number or web site address so I can get one. The car is running well except for the bad cable.
Thanks so much for the answer.
lapuwali
The throttle cable even on the stock FI takes a pretty circuitous route. It's likely that your cable is bad, which is part of what's causing the sticking. You also want to make sure the linkage isn't binding in any way. Take the cable and the return spring off and make sure you can smoothly operate the linkage by hand.

The accelerator cable can also get hung up in the tunnel, usually by being wrapped around the clutch cable.
lfdrumz0929
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 22 2006, 10:28 AM) *

The throttle cable even on the stock FI takes a pretty circuitous route. It's likely that your cable is bad, which is part of what's causing the sticking. You also want to make sure the linkage isn't binding in any way. Take the cable and the return spring off and make sure you can smoothly operate the linkage by hand.

The accelerator cable can also get hung up in the tunnel, usually by being wrapped around the clutch cable.

This cable is not that old, and was working fine, I just rebuilt the car and put everything back. Now its sticks?
lapuwali
If your cable isn't bad or wrapped around the clutch cable, then the linkage has to be sticking. QED.

Like I said, check your linkage with no cable or return spring attached. If it's fine, start looking at the cable. Nothing else there to check. The routing you're using (though the tin to the right, back to the center of the engine) has been used by many people successfully, so that's not likely to be the problem.

Brad Roberts
With his current setup, he will more than likely need to remove the cable from the stock hole in the engine tin and let it come up between the tin and tub just in front of the fan shroud.

Can we poing you to some better cross bar style linkage?

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.