Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Tranny Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
I'm trying to hook up an electronic speedo to the 915 transmission in my 914. I see the place where the sensor is mounted to but it looks like some welding was done around it. Can anyone tell me if this mounting "hole" is supposed to be opened up to the inside of the tranny or plugged as it is now? My simple logic says I should be able to mount the sensor, run the wires, and everthing will work, please corect me if I'm wrong.
Brad Roberts
They weld up the hole because the material is really thin right there and close to the diff bolts when they flip the diff.

You cannot use the stock hole for the sensor. You need to have your side cover machined for a pickup (the bolt on cover)

B
Brad Roberts
Let me be a little more clear:

When the diff was flipped in your tranny, the exciter ring for the sensor flipped with it. It is actually part of the spacer+bearings for the diff.

Pretty easy fix.

Drain the gear lube, remove the axle and output flange from the diff cover side and pull the cover off. It is a tight fit with a new o ring on it. Have the cover measured and machined for the sensor hole AND attachment point. I dont have the dimensions (depth) You'll have to measure a stock case.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.