Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KEP V8 conversion kit - pilot bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cobra94563
I got the conversion kit with the project.

IPB Image

The pilot bearing has an aluminum washer thing (in pic) is about 3/4 thick.
When I removed the part from an sbc 350, the rear surface of the bearing was flush with the rear edge of the crankshaft (?).

On the engine I'm installing it on, ('64-65-ish chevy 283) the crankshaft area where the bearing goes, is not as deep and the bearing doesn't fit in all the way, - sticks out 1/8 to 1/4".
But I'm think it is fully seated.

Anyone run into this or do you think that is OK ? (assuming the tranny can mate all the way to the engine)..

Thanks
Chris
smash.gif
Brad Roberts
Last time I checked... awhile ago!

They have a shallow version for your crank.

You can have yours turned down.

It needs to seat flush.

B
Brad Roberts
Can you show us in a pic?

There is a big difference between 1/8 and 1/4 (3/8ths..lol)

Is the bearing sticking out or the adapter?

B
1bad914
Some of the older cranks are tapered, KEP sells the one that fits that tapered crank. Mine was a 1967 327, they said it was a small percentage of these that had the taper.
Brad Roberts
There you go! I knew they had 2-3 different versions for the different cranks at one point.

B
1bad914
I went crazy trying to figure it out. Stick your finger in the crank and you'll feel the taper. That sounds kinda kinky!
cobra94563
Sorry, can't get a pic right now..(at work).

The bearing is the same thickness as the adapter and sits flush no problem. But the washer/adapter does not sit flush to the crank.

It did have more of a rounded (tapered) inside corner on the crankshaft.
Maybe I'll check and see if they still sell the other piece.

Thanks! smile.gif
cobra94563
a closing note...

I called KEP and they do still sell a tapered retainer for the pilot bearing. $20
Same thickess, just tapered. And as correctly mentioned, it's for the earlier SBC's.

This site is the best!! piratenanner.gif

*&^*@#@!...have to remove the pilot bearing again... headbang.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.