Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a tow vehicle today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Found a killer deal on a clean 1997 Ford F150 Extended cab with a V8. Tow bar is going on the 914 soon! driving.gif
DanT
Nice Grant biggrin.gif
Sorry had to do it smile.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
grantsfo
No actual pictures yet, but it looks similar to this one:

IPB Image
DanT
Should be very nice....kind of like my Burb....with the 914 in tow you will barely know it is back there. biggrin.gif

drew365
Nice truck! Are you going to flat tow the 914?
Trekkor
Cool deal!!

KT
grantsfo
Here is a picture of the new beast - I will do install of tow bar on the 914 this weekend. And yes I will be flat towing to start. I have to break my wife into this craziness we call racing one step at a time. She thinks the truck is for yard projects, etc.
URY914
Every man needs to own a pickup at some time in his life.
nebreitling
awesome grant. which vedic god/goddess will you name this vehicle after?

heeheeheehee...
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 23 2006, 11:40 AM) *

heeheeheehee...

I'll let you know once I finish building my yurt.
VegasRacer
Nice score. piratenanner.gif
Adding a transmission cooler is a good idea if you plan to tow much.
nebreitling
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 23 2006, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 23 2006, 11:40 AM) *

heeheeheehee...

I'll let you know once I finish building my yurt.

lmfao... your wife seems to be a good sport, so hopefully you won't have to live in the yurt.

dude, i just bought a trailer, and it is SOOO much nicer than flat-towing. definitely worth some consideration.

nice score, nate
DanT
Here is a pic of Nathan's new trailer with my car on it when it came back from paint a few months ago. biggrin.gif

this is a great little trailer and Nathan is going to really love it.

Grant,
to stay on topic....you will find that towing with the David Lee tow bar attachment will be quite easy....since you don't have to remove any body parts to use it, it is very quick to get hooked up and on the road.
Have you decided what you are going to do with your tow lights....magnetic or hard wired into car?

Your new "tow truck" should be very nice. With the longer wheel base you won't hardly notice the 914 in tow. smile.gif

nebreitling
yup, the trailer ROCKS. the winch works great, the shock absorbers keep the thing smooth, and it was properly designed to put just the amount of tongue weight on the hitch. plus, it fits (barely) through my tiny San Francisco garage door. i'm f-ing thrilled, and it just 'feels' like it saves wear and tear on the car.

changing tires at the track sucks.
grantsfo
Thats a great trailer! Who makes those? My biggest issue with a trailer is lack of room to manuever where I live. Most trailers I have seen are huge. You should have seen Trekkor when he stopped by my place with his trailer and long wheelbase truck! He deserves a medal for getiting turned around. A short trailer like the one above would be perfect for me.

For flat tow I will likely just use the cheap lights I have from Harbor Freight rather than hard wiring.
DanT
Grant, that trailer is a one-off. Custom made years ago by a 914 guy.
Only cars that will fit on it are early narrow body 911s, 914s and type 1 and 3 VWs.
Probably some early MGs, TRs, etc.

has full suspension, coil springs and shocks...

Pulls like a dream.
nebreitling
plus, it's light enough that i can move it around (empty, of course) by hand. doesn't need brakes, and my Frontier V6 still got decent mileage.

your F150 will be great. i'm glad you didn't go with an old beater, grant!
grantsfo
[b]
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 23 2006, 05:12 PM) *

your F150 will be great. i'm glad you didn't go with an old beater, grant!

Yeah I figured it would be a drag to break down on the way to a race. So I upped my budget to $5K. I'm amazed at how much truck I could get for so little money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.