Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlite switch wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
Right now my headlites roll up on the fisrt click of my pulling on the knob (easy there). I would much rather the first clik be just running lites and fog/drivers if I so choose.
Can this be done on a 1970 or do I need a full rewire of the liting circuit?

I also have no power to the fog lites. I installed a Jwest flash module (good stuff!) and the switch lites up, but no flashy and no litey at the devices. I did test the lites them selves and they work...

The car came with both fogs busted so I sorta screwed up and installed the flash before verifing that the damned circuit was good! yeah yeah, get a baseline check the physical layer, Dino you should know better, yadda yadda yadda
bob91403
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jun 22 2006, 03:31 PM) *

Right now my headlites roll up on the fisrt click of my pulling on the knob (easy there). I would much rather the first clik be just running lites and fog/drivers if I so choose.
Can this be done on a 1970 or do I need a full rewire of the liting circuit?

I also have no power to the fog lites. I installed a Jwest flash module (good stuff!) and the switch lites up, but no flashy and no litey at the devices. I did test the lites them selves and they work...

The car came with both fogs busted so I sorta screwed up and installed the flash before verifing that the damned circuit was good! yeah yeah, get a baseline check the physical layer, Dino you should know better, yadda yadda yadda
In many states it's illegal to drive in the daytime with your running lights on without headlights. It's pretty easy to pull the switches, figure out which wire comes from your foglight switch to the headlight switch, move it, with a post doubler, to the constant hot post on your headlight switch. Then your foglights become daytime driving lights, seperate from the headlights.
dinomium
I want the parking lights on as well. The issue I am trying to cure first is the headlights popping up on the first click...

Thanks,
Dino "I fought the law" Davis
bob91403
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jun 22 2006, 03:49 PM) *

I want the parking lights on as well. The issue I am trying to cure first is the headlights popping up on the first click...

Thanks,
Dino "I fought the law" Davis
Sounds like you've simply got the wrong wire on the wrong post. Use a small screwdriver, if you don't have the specialty tool, and unthread the retaining ring for the headlight switch. There are diagrams of how it's supposed to be wired. But, it's pretty simple to figure out by pulling one wire at a time which one you want. From there you need a meter to find out which post is hot in the second click position. Pretty simple, but, diagram is easier, and safer. According to Haynes they're supposed to come up on the first click.
cool_shades.gif
dinomium
are the all supposed to come up on the first click? Is it just an early car thing?
I tell ya, having a 1970 car is like being a nubee all over again

I am a BORN AGAIN NUBEE!!
More painful questions to come!
bob91403
Haynes says they come up, and the running lights come on, on the first click. Headlights come on, on the second click. Can't see any reason why you couldn't change it to suit your needs, as I did. Normally driving/foglights won't come on without the headlights on. I found it quite easy to make them operate from the driving/foglight switch, completely independent from the headlights. I'm sure you could change the headlights wires to raise and come on at the second click, if that's what you want. Personally, I don't see any reason to. Now, daytime driving lights, that makes sense to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.