Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ash hank
I've been overhauling a 1973 1.7L 914 engine. The engines together and now I'm ready to put the intake, injectors, hoses, the wires on. "The stuff in the Box" The air hoses had just been replaced so there is on set to them. I didn't think it would difficult to find "same year" car to inspect when it came time but haveing on success. I need pictures to see how everything weaves together or need to inspect car, hopefully in So. Oregon to Portland Or. up I-5. Sure would like some help. Thanks ash hank
Mark Henry
This will get you started:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Keep in mind that there are three "types" of vacuum in the system. The FI needs its parts hooked up to the correct "type" in order to work right.

The first type is "ambient air". It is at the same pressure as the rest of the air in the engine bay. Anything "upstream" of the throttle body is ambient. Upstream means between the intake snorkel and the throttle body.

The second type is "manifold vacuum". It is generally lower pressure (more vacuum) than the rest of the air in the engine bay, because the engine is always sucking air in. It is anything "downstream" of the throttle body--in this case, it pretty much means anything hooked directly to the manifold.

The third type is "ported vacuum". This is very specific, and changes depending on throttle setting. When the throttle is open a little bit, this is very low pressure (high vacuum). When the throttle is closed, or when it is open more than a little, this is pretty much ambient air pressure. This is one of the two fittings on the throttle body--the one pointing aft, in the case of a 1.7 throttle body.

The Decel Valve has one large hose hooked to ambient, one large hose and the small hose hooked to manifold vacuum.
The AAR has one large hose hooked to ambient, and one to the manifold.
The MPS is hooked to the manifold.
The vacuum retard fitting on the distributor (the one that points back toward the distributor body) is hooked to manifold vacuum. In this case, it is hooked to the front-pointing fitting on the throttle body, but I think that hooking it directly to the manifold would still work. I think...
The vacuum advance fitting on the distributor (the one that points away from the distributor body) is hooked to ported vacuum, the rear-pointing fitting on the throttle body.

There are more hoses, having to do with the charcoal cannister/fuel vapor recovery system, and with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. For how those hook up, you can look at the 74 2.0 diagram on the Pelican site. They should be hooked up the same way. They are not critical to the running of the engine (though the PCV line to the manifold will cause a high idle if you just unplug it) but are nice to have to keep oil vapor and fuel vapor from getting all over the place inside the car and out.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.