Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti - Sway bars and Links
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
What is the correct Finish and did it change from year to year for the front
and rear bars and Links?
The front Links a arms Im fairly confident were the Zinc/Cad plating. what about the the bar? The reason I asking was I was looking at refinishing the rear bar but examples I have encountered are black ? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 23 2006, 03:22 PM) *

What is the correct Finish and did it change from year to year for the front
and rear bars and Links?
The front Links a arms Im fairly confident were the Zinc/Cad plating. what about the the bar? The reason I asking was I was looking at refinishing the rear bar but examples I have encountered are black ? confused24.gif

Agree w/you on the front bar links - plated. Pretty certain the front bar was satin black finish. Can't help w/rear bar - never had one.

I would venture that most front bars were either not factory or upgraded from factory. After this length of time, if they haven't been kept up (painted), I'd bet rust would have weakened them pretty seriously. Had a rear bar in one of my other Porsches let go during an auto-x - sounded like a bomb going off! It was a factory bar & 6 years old when it failed. Had never been re-protected from the elements & was a daily driver.
914werke
Pat, wacko.gif
OK my queston was about finnishes and you went off on an tale of exploding bars ... biggrin.gif
From what I gathered I was correct the finish on the link and arms from the F. is zinc/cad, the BAR is painted balck, assuming ther rear BAR would have the same finish, would that mean the R. links are zinc/cad plated or painted black?
Aaron Cox
rear links were satin black as far as i know...

every pair i have seen were that way
914werke
Interesting idea.gif
Thanks Aaron
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 23 2006, 07:38 PM) *

Pat, wacko.gif
OK my queston was about finnishes and you went off on an tale of exploding bars ... biggrin.gif
From what I gathered I was correct the finish on the link and arms from the F. is zinc/cad, the BAR is painted balck, assuming ther rear BAR would have the same finish, would that mean the R. links are zinc/cad plated or painted black?

Sorry about the diatribe - I tend to do that because of advanced age! Ask my wife! Nevermind, she does the same sh_t!
914runnow
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 23 2006, 03:49 PM) *

rear links were satin black as far as i know...

agree.gif Have a new set from Porsche and they are the satin
black...Will try to get down the fronts, that are new from Porsche,
for my 'Someday rebuild'!!!..Send an email or remind me ..Maybe shoot a pic or two...(In new job transition right now)... Anyway>>All my stuff is all factory....
No upgrades on front or rear...
73Phoenix20
Click to view attachmentrear links were satin black as far as i know...

[/quote]
Yep, factory original and satin black painted on the rear bar and downlinks...

My fronts are so dusty, I would have to clean 'em first to tell!

Now I have to worry about exploding sway bars??? WTF! Something new every day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.