Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pirctures of 914s with REAR GT flares only?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Wondering what it'll look like...too odd or okay or???

Aaron Cox
ive seen it... its an acquired taste....

personally, kinda fugly. and who cant benefit from wider track up front? (you would understeer with big meat in the rear and none in front)
bob91403
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 23 2006, 02:59 PM) *

ive seen it... its an acquired taste....

personally, kinda fugly. and who cant benefit from wider track up front? (you would understeer with big meat in the rear and none in front)
I like the set-up you've got going Aaron, 7" front and 8" rear Fuchs. What size tires do you run with those? Would it be advisable to run a slightly lower profile tire in the front? Do you carry two spares?
Aaron Cox
hey bob...

205/50 in front, 225/50 in back....

spare tire? whats that? LOL. i have a 15x6" fuch with a collapsable spare to get me home if something bad happens. and if im somewhat local, i will go home and grab one of my cookie cutter AX wheels with 205's on em smile.gif

8" with 225 tires gives you a super nice straight sidewall and a FAT contact patch, becasue it is stretched over such a wide rim.

sorry mike for da hijack.

Mike - pm "Steve" here, he recently sold his 3.2 car, but it had ONLY rear flares.
WRX914
My planned spare tire...

Andyrew
Theres a silver six with them on only the rear... Guy was selling his car last time I looked... guy had a couple hundred posts...

Doesnt look right.

If the fronts were a "pulled" flare, with an obvious bulge... then it might work...

but thats to many mights...

I would just do all 4... or flare it like you did your black car. I dont know of anyone who didnt like that....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 23 2006, 06:10 PM) *

Theres a silver six with them on only the rear... Guy was selling his car last time I looked... guy had a couple hundred posts...

Doesnt look right.

If the fronts were a "pulled" flare, with an obvious bulge... then it might work...

but thats to many mights...

I would just do all 4... or flare it like you did your black car. I dont know of anyone who didnt like that....

that was my friend STEVE on the board....

mike - show us some black car flared pics!
Andyrew
Oh tay...

Heres his pic... The one were you see him section in 2 inches is not there....

Andrew.

IPB Image
16x8's on there...

IPB Image

Another that I rather like.
hmeeder
I photoshopped some onto the rear of my car just to see.

I'm a bit divided about it. I kind of like it, but then is that just in this 3/4 view? Would it look odd looking straight down the car? Dunno and I hope someone else has some more shots and I'm willing to listen to the flames.

Someone said it looked like a duelie pickup.
Rand
I think the GT flares on just one end look goofy. (Just an opinion of course.) The gentle bulge like Andyrew posted would be subtle enough to work visually. But I wouldn't want to run tires so wide they needed flares on the rear with tires that fit under stock front fenders. How could that make for a good handling balance? I'm not into push and scrub understeer.
hmeeder
think the GT flares on just one end look goofy.

I'm of the same general opinion, as well. The GTs only on the rear don't look visually balanced without the corresponding bulge at the front.

As to the argument that you need to have similar sized tires front and rear for handling balance, it's just not true. There are many factors that go into what will work for a particular car. My car puts down a boatlad of torque and even with 225s on the rear and 205s front, I get a good amount of power oversteer anytime I want it and virtually no understeer until I begin to drop the front tire pressures.

Remember that Boxters and Caymen (Caymans? Caypersons?) have different size front/rear tires and only suffer understeer when they aren't set up right. Their weight ratio is identical to ours and I'm thinking the Porsche dudes put the bigger meats on the back for a reason. All the new cars have a lot of understeer from the factory as their default set up, but that can be fixed pretty easily.

my $.02 on the tire issue.
PRS914-6
Hey Mike, don't get cold feet on those flares! Get the grinder out and go to work!
Gustl
here are some pics form a German guy who did it

personally I don't like it barf.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

wavey.gif Gustl
nomore9one4
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 23 2006, 10:27 PM) *

Hey Mike, don't get cold feet on those flares! Get the grinder out and go to work!

agree.gif You will be glad you did when its done. driving.gif
nebreitling
i wanna put flares just on the front.
turboman808
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 24 2006, 11:17 AM) *

i wanna put flares just on the front.

Must be driving a civic!!!
shelby/914
hijacked.gif Not to be a hijacker, but, if someone wants to try this I have the perfect candidate stored for a friend in my barn. It's a completely disassembled,essentially rust free tub. Everything is there including a 1.7 and tail shifter. Front fenders are great rears were cut by DAPO to do HUGE flares for a v8 conversion. Thats as far as he got, and my friend got the car back. $750. Sorry for the hijack but it was too perfect subject
Crazyhippy
Here's one...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

underneath... drooley.gif burnout.gif
IPB Image

BJH
Chris Hamilton
I thought the car looked pretty nice until that last picture, just made me cringe. The exhaust is not only going to overheat and melt the boot on the CV joint, its going to overheat that shock and blow the nitrogen bag also.

The 901 transmission is going to take alot of the fun out of having that big engine as well... sad.gif

I thought renegade was more thorough than that.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jun 25 2006, 09:47 PM) *

I thought the car looked pretty nice until that last picture, just made me cringe. The exhaust is not only going to overheat and melt the boot on the CV joint, its going to overheat that shock and blow the nitrogen bag also.

The 901 transmission is going to take alot of the fun out of having that big engine as well... sad.gif

I thought renegade was more thorough than that.

and how much closer or farther away were stock heat exchangers? (albeit wrapped in a steel shell) and most aftermarket 4 and 6 headers go right by the CV boots also...

it aint a problem.
Chris Hamilton
The stock heat exchangers were covered in a metal shell, and produced far less heat than the V8 should. It's possible that it would be OK, but I wouldn't want to take the chance on my car, I would wrap them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.