Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: need help with Netscreen 100 Firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, i got a NetScreen 100 firewall for someone that i'm helping out setting up their network.

the firewall is used and the seller did not have any passwords to access it.

no problem, i though, as NetScreen lists the password reset procedure on their website.
basically, they say there are 3 ways to reset the password:

1 - you know the existing password and change it (doh!)
2 - you use the firewalls serial number as username and password
3 - you use the "pinhole" microswitch to reset your configuration

unfortunately, none of the above works ... headbang.gif

1 - i don't know the current password.
2 - the serial number that is printed on the label doesn't work. their PDFs says the admin has the option to "disable" this feature, which they must have done.
3 - the "pinhole" reset button does not do anything. nada. zilch. it's supposed to give me feedback in the terminal and change LED colors when pressed, but nada. don't work.

now, i also read that "juniper trained technicians" can reset the settings/password to default using jumpers on the motherboard.
of course, you have to ship the thing to them and pay $$$ ...

so, anybody here know what to do? what jumpers to jump?
confused24.gif Andy
Demick
Andy

I work for Juniper. But I know nothing about Netscreen products since Netscreen was an aquisition and I don't know anyone in that part of the company. But I'll be happy to ask around and see what I can dig up if you can wait until Monday.

Demick
Rand
My Netscreen firewall requires holding that pinhole button down for several seconds before the reset begins. Just in case you weren't doing that, give it a try.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 23 2006, 08:11 PM) *

My Netscreen firewall requires holding that pinhole button down for several seconds before the reset begins. Just in case you weren't doing that, give it a try.

tried all kinds of things, for about 4 hours. and yes, i read and re-read all kind of manuals. and yes, i did the holding thing. no luck ... sad.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 23 2006, 07:51 PM) *

But I'll be happy to ask around and see what I can dig up if you can wait until Monday.

yes!

that would be cool ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
fiid
We have a ton of netscreen experience at work - so if you want to bring it by on monday lunchtime or so I'm sure we can figure it out....
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 24 2006, 08:04 AM) *

We have a ton of netscreen experience at work - so if you want to bring it by on monday lunchtime or so I'm sure we can figure it out....

sounds like a plan! as the firewall is in my office just about 300 feet away from you anyways ...

beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.