Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theman352001
Hello members,

Well, I got the car running.....sort of.

I tried starting it the other day and it seemed close. It also seemed like a car that had the timing just a little off. I had checked the timing before but thought I would experiment this time.

Well, I adjusted the dist. while my dad tried to start the car. After a turn of about 15 degrees, the car started. Throttle response was poor and sounded like the car was getting a bit too much fuel and choking out. I could rev it up though so I was hopefull.

I got the car ready to go for a little trip and she ran fine to the end of the driveway (about 50 yards). But as soon as I got on the road, she bogged down and died. I tried starting it again and got nothing. It just turned over with no hint of firing.

So this has got me wondering if it is possible for the dist. gear to slip on the crankshaft. Any other thougths?

Keith
SLITS
Fuel System - Carb, Carbs, D-Jet or L-Jet?

How long has it been since it ran last?

Is the fuel old?

Condition of plugs, points, cap, rotor, wires?

Only way I know of, other than severe wear or breakage, would be the distributor being loose and the distributor drive gear climbing pushing the dizzy up till the drive gear climbed off the crank gear.

Rand
If the distributor is bolted down properly, it ain't gonna skip a tooth. If it didn't die suddenly, but bogged, then I would be looking at the fuel delivery. Does the pump run?
Mark Henry
There is no way a dizzy will skip a tooth, unless it's unbolted and popped right out of the hole.

Or I guess if the bolt fell off and the car has the "Men in Black" mod and you're doing warp 5, upside down in the Holland tunnel....
Bartlett 914
Keith

On Dans thread about his exhaust a coment was made about the muffler becoming restricted. This is something I had not thought about. How long was your car sitting. Could your exhaust be plugged. Rust, small animal etc.

Mark
Thack
Did you pull out the distributor drive shaft? Could have installed it a tooth off.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(theman352001 @ Jun 23 2006, 08:23 PM) *

Hello members,

Well, I got the car running.....sort of.

I tried starting it the other day and it seemed close. It also seemed like a car that had the timing just a little off. I had checked the timing before but thought I would experiment this time.

Well, I adjusted the dist. while my dad tried to start the car. After a turn of about 15 degrees, the car started. Throttle response was poor and sounded like the car was getting a bit too much fuel and choking out. I could rev it up though so I was hopefull.

I got the car ready to go for a little trip and she ran fine to the end of the driveway (about 50 yards). But as soon as I got on the road, she bogged down and died. I tried starting it again and got nothing. It just turned over with no hint of firing.

So this has got me wondering if it is possible for the dist. gear to slip on the crankshaft. Any other thougths?

Keith

Sounds like its just mistimed...static it time it by setting it to #1 TDC. Hook up a VOM (voltohmmeter) the + to the dizzy side. Turn the dizzy slowly until it just snaps or the power goes to 12 Volts on the VOM. Lightly tighten the dizzy clamp and start the motor as it should be now close.
Now use a timing lite to set the timing at 27 degrees BTDC @ 3500rpms poking the lite thru the access hole and watching the red mark line up in the Vnotch. Loosen the dizzy clamp to rotate the dizzy to line up the red mark at 3500rpms (your dad can hold it there for you). Tighten the clamp and drive it.

If this don't do it somethin else is wrong so report back.
popcorn[1].gif
theman352001
Thanks for the input guys.

Here is my thread on what I have done to the car.

Previous thread

I have drained the gas and put in new. The plugs are relatively new but they are black in color.

Checking the muffler may be a good idea because the car has been sitting in a storage building for 2 years. This would not explain the original problem however.

I will have a chance to look at the car more on Monday so I will try some things and get back to you.

Keith
Bleyseng
CHT problem or test the MPS with a proper vacuum gauge. Pump it to 15hg and it should hold for 5 minutes. Sucking on it does nothing as you can't suck hard enough unless you are Superman.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 25 2006, 04:12 PM) *

Sucking on it does nothing as you can't suck hard enough unless you are Superman.

I don't know...I had a girlfriend who could suck a hardball through 50ft of garden hose.

I never thought about putting a gauge on her...... rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.