Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can you tell it's a 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
I was looking at a '73 today for sale and was told it had a 2.0. But it had a round plastic air cleaner. I thought the 2.0s had a square (metal?) air cleaner. I couldn't find the engine number. Is there any other visual clues as to the engine size? Would the chassis number provide any indication?
type47fan
Three stud mounting for intake runners is the first thing I'd look for. . . .
scrz914
Anyone have pix of this? Is the third stud below the intake tube and possibly out of sight? I only saw four studs total (two per).
G e o r g e
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 23 2006, 11:11 PM) *

Anyone have pix of this? Is the third stud below the intake tube and possibly out of sight? I only saw four studs total (two per).

that would make it a 1.7 ltr
scrz914
Okay thanks. That's what I figured.
type47
could be a "2.0". i think 96mm p&c on a 1.7 makes it 1911cc, almost a "2.0". 30 yr old engine could possibly have been rebuilt. if it's a 2.0, look for the engine # just in front of the oil filler stand. 73 2.0 would start with GA. later (75-76?) 2.0's could start with GC or maybe GB.
grasshopper
spark plug holes on the side of the engine tin instead of the top.
davep
The three stud heads (3 intake studs per head) indicate it has the real deal 2.0 heads. All other heads, including the bus 2.0 are 4 stud. Sure you can have a short stroke 2.0, but you are supposedly paying for the correct parts. Another trick is to check the decal on the evap tank aboe the fuel tank for the tire ratings; if it has SR rated tires listed, then it is not 2.0 engine. Nothing in the VIN can tell you about the engine or options.

If you can get the VIN, Chassis #, paint code and the date from the decal on the drivers door latch post for any car you look at, I'd appreciate that.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 23 2006, 11:11 PM) *

There was a thread in the last two or three weeks with pics of both. Sorry I don't remember more details... sad.gif

The third stud is down in between the tubes. On the 1.7, the third and fourth are down in the middle between the intake tubes. It's unclear from your remark above if you mean you saw four on one side of the engine, or four total on the car.

Also look for heat exchangers that do not "kick up" near the end.

--DD
wilchek
here are the pics I posted a little while back between the differences

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53029&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.