Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way for cleaning chrome exhast tip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GaroldShaffer
The chrome tip on my muffler is starting to get little rust spots. Is there to clean that up? I also have some spare mufflers I want to sell but before I do I would like to make the tips look better. So what do you use?

future mufflers for 1 Ansa & 1 Monza

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Jun 24 2006, 11:12 AM) *

The chrome tip on my muffler is starting to get little rust spots. Is there to clean that up? I also have some spare mufflers I want to sell but before I do I would like to make the tips look better. So what do you use?

Well, the muffler tips in the first photo are toast - no polishing in the world will bring them back. Second one has possibilites, though.

I frequently "harp" about Simichrome. Bikers have used it forever because it is only mildly abrasive & leaves a very nicely polished appearance. At one point, years ago, I used it on my headlight motors & they looked like they were chromed when I was finished. Fortunately I let the pot metal go back to it's original "tiger stripe" finish - but it took years! Stuff works great & no one will ever get me to change. Worth a try. rolleyes.gif
Pat Garvey
Here's a before & after using the miracle "S".
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Pat is absolutely right, Garold! Apply Semichrome with Bronze Wool (NOT steel wool!!!) and the results are nothing short of a miracle!

Bronze Wool is hard to find, but West Marine stores usually carry it in different grades. Try it w/ the Semi on the first muffler tips; nothing to lose, and I think you might just be surprised! Of course, once the chrome is gone, the base metal will keep on rusting unless you coat it with something...
914runnow
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Jun 24 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Welllllll on #1---I would use 'Naval Jelly' rust remover first....
with an sos pad....
IF the chrome is an acne case...Don't even waste another dime..
Sand it or bead blast the entire mess and paint it all..
OR sell it as is..Leave it to the next owner..
#2-Leave 'Naval Jelly' on chrome for 10 mins..Rinse off
and use any light chrome polish on the shelf..Turtle Wax
has a good/cheap one..
I like the Semi Chrome..But It Aint No Sho Muff..
Save the Semi Chrome for your good stuff..
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Wow....That has to be the 'Shiniest' flash back valve on the planet!!!
edwardb33
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.