Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield ID - what does it mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimmyG
I've got two windshields out of early models 914s. One was in my original 70 model 6 and the other in a 71 model 4. How in the world do you read this ID to tell what you've got?

In original 6...
DOT31/Laminated
Kinonglas - Kristall HI
M19/AS1 Plate
~ D-107

In 71...
DOT31/Laminated
Kinonglas - Kristall RA/S HI
M22/AS1 Plate
~ D-97

As you can see, there are minor differences in the RA/S and the M# and D#. What does it all mean?????
Cap'n Krusty
To you? Zip. Nada. Zilch. Absolutly nothing. Production/batch numbers, most likely. The Cap'n
JimmyG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2006, 08:37 AM) *

To you? Zip. Nada. Zilch. Absolutly nothing. Production/batch numbers, most likely. The Cap'n

Well.. Thats for sure.
Just what to put a correct 6 one in and the 4 car windshield is better.
I would think that hundreds were sent from Karman in 70 and 71 and somehow these numbers were recorded .Was hoping for some of that usless 914 trivia.
Cap'n Krusty
Product tracking being what it was in 1970-71, I doubt there is a snowball's chance in hell of anyone EVER knowing which is which. Or caring, for that matter. The factory probably took the top windshield from the pile and put it in the first available chassis. As a side note, dealer techs performing pre delivery inspections back then were required by law to record on the work order the serial numbers of every tire on every car that passed through their service bay. Those were put on file for warranty and recall purposes. Not so with windshields.

The Cap'n
JimmyG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 24 2006, 09:46 AM) *

Product tracking being what it was in 1970-71, I doubt there is a snowball's chance in hell of anyone EVER knowing which is which. Or caring, for that matter. The factory probably took the top windshield from the pile and put it in the first available chassis. As a side note, dealer techs performing pre delivery inspections back then were required by law to record on the work order the serial numbers of every tire on every car that passed through their service bay. Those were put on file for warranty and recall purposes. Not so with windshields.

The Cap'n

well that will be great for me. I can use the better windshield and the Dennis Guage's of the Porsche world will not make a mental negitive note about my car at local showings.
Thanks Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.