Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I HAVE MID ENGINE FEVER!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
saw one drivin in hollywood- this thing has the most raced out engine-
the lotus europa, 1.6L 126 HP
Mark Henry
DDS who hangs out on the pelican 914 board is restoring one of those.

I also have a friend with an Lotus Elan and another with a 2+2.
Nice cars, shit wiring, fiberglass bodys and center knock off real magnisum wheels.
ChrisReale
There is a few of those that run in the Sovren Vnyage races (might be a different model Loyus actually) but they were wiping the asses of the 911's in the same class...
mightyohm
Something about the shape of that car makes it look like it has a bad case of 914 longitudinal fold-in-half rot. huh.gif
seanery
1 word UGLY.

I've seen 'em around, and I actually LOVE Lotus cars, but this one, I wouldn't want.
Aaron Cox
they weigh like nothing! and they have a central fram w/ a boxy thing up front- the thing was barely up to my waist! the coolest sound- twin cam big valve wub.gif
Joe Bob
There is a reason they stopped making them.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 6 2003, 08:01 PM)
There is a reason they stopped making them.....

as were reasons to stop making the 356,914,912,924,944,928,968 etc....

your point is irrelavant bs.gif
Joe Bob
Reasons .....

1) English
2) Lucas
3) Insurance
4) English
5) Lucas
6) Bodies bonded to frame
7) Lousy motors

Need I go on????

They were discontinued due to poor build quality, high insurnace rates and customer disatisfaction.

The 356 was discontinued due to being passed by in regards to performance and a newer model superceeding them.
914 was due to smog, and bumper requirements
924-944....well they sucked....
I like the 968 ....dunno why they went away....
928, nice Grand Touring car but not a hit with the Porsche purists.....plus WAY expensive to buy and maintain....
Aaron Cox
lousy motors? and a a 2.7 that pulls head studs isnt? laugh.gif
Joe Bob
The 2.7 was a great motor....until the US government required add on smog controls that over heated the motor. Cook the studs and they pull like butter....

The 73 RS....ran a 2.7. Can't find an original one for less than 250,000 USD.....
scotty
Just find one and start following...stop and pick up whatever falls off...in less tha a week you'll have enough parts for a complete car!

Now an Elan... there's a Lotus!
FriarJohn
Believe it or not, there's one of these things running around Helena, Montana. You can't fully appreciate how low the roof line is until you see it in person. Makes the 914 look like an SUV.

It's still real ugly though...

John
fiid
It's a lotus. The wiring is shit. Since I'm english I won't yield the list of Lucas jokes, but the fact there is a list should tell you a lot. They tend to need everything tightening down after a while - stuff comes loose - you know?

Colin Chapman's philsophy was that if it didn't fall apart at the finish line, it was too heavy, so these things are light and perform and handle well. Few people know this, but Lotus is mainly a consulting shop. You remember that the Corvette chassis got about an 8 fold boost in tortional rigidity a few years ago? Lotus. LT1? Lotus Tuned. There are rumours that the MR-2 was a rejected lotus design (Toyota and GM are both former owners of Lotus).

Lotuses just got better with time too, so the later esprits and the forthcoming elise are all formidable, and will be more and more reliable etc. Lotus never had the daft notion that the engine should be hung out the back except when Delorean insisted on it, so they all handle pretty well out of the gate.

BTW... they are all watercooled; you could probably turbo it without too much hassle.
It probably doesn;t need it too badly though.

The one thing that has been said about these is that the cockpit is awefully cramped.

Stuff to chew on....

Fiid.
thesey914
I love those Europa's -I love quirky cars though (inc. 914) The Europa was nicknamed the "breadvan" in England.
I think they had a Renault engine in to start with and then the Lotus twin cam.
Never noticed that weird longitudinal bend before though -looks worrying
Here's a better one.
mharrison
The tractor trailer test each car went through prior to leaving the factory is thought to have caused the trademark longitudinal bend.
IPB Image
URY914
You better be short to fit in one.
I'd never make it.

Paul
mike_the_man
Lotus's are cool cars. And light. My buddy is doing a full restore on a Europa. when it was all stripped down, one person could pick up the frame, and it took two people to pick up the body. Around 1500lbs when put together, I think. My friend has a 1.8L Formula Ford Cosworth engine that he's gonna drop in. Around 220hp, although it doesn't idle real well. Maybe not the safest cars in the world, but it makes a 914 look overweight and underpowered. I'm first in line for a ride when he's done.
maf914
Europas are cool. I've got two in my closet. Tamiya 1/24 scale that is! Right next to the three Gunze Sangyo 1/24 Elans and the two Tamiya 1/24 Sevens. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Mike
Ferg
Speaking of lotus, I just got my new road and track last night, looks like the will bring the elise over to the states with a toyota celica engine. 190 hp and under 2000 pounds for 39k smilie_pokal.gif . Out of my $ range right now, but that just might sway me away from the used boxsters I've been eyeing blink.gif I'd have to keep the teener though wub.gif
thesey914
I can vouch for the Elises's dynamics, my cousin did a track day ( I tagged along & drove a few laps) at Castle Combe Circuit on Monday (in his Subaru wrx) -one of the other drivers had an Elise so I asked him if I could ride passenger for a few laps, basically it was the car that most "914 like".
It was the original model with about 120hp (they have since introduced other higher HP models), but I was very impressed. It had it all brakes, handling and it was quick. I don't think I've ridden in a car that was so "sorted" right out of the box.
thesey914
some pics of the other machinery
tod914
That europa looks like's Englands answer to the El Camino. Im sure it handles great, but I have to say that is one fugly looking car. The other lotus models I like, especially the new elise.
Mark Henry
Told ya me buddy Dave (DDS) had one!!!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....&threadid=82027
Lotus914
Ahh I can't resist... I'm Dave.
Hello all, normally at the PP board and the Lotus Europa mailing list, Mark pointed me here, I'm the guy with both cars - '73 914 and '69 Lotus Europa S2. To address some of the comments-

They are both ugly.

Neither are made anymore because people stopped buying them.

The press panned both.

Each has a sexy brand with a humble engine.

Neither are expensive.

They are both ugly.

They were both known to spontaneously combust.

I think both are great.

Here's where they differ

Lotus has inexpensive parts from cheaper, mass produced cars on a more exotic car. Still a complete restoration can easily cost more than the value of the car.
Porsche gouges its customers. The 914 has outrageously priced parts on an cheap car. You'd have to be an indiot (like me) to restore one.

The Lotus could rev and out accelerate much more expensive cars, and especially in Twin Cam form is even quick today. The stock 914 was and is now even moreso a slug that accellerates like a lawn tractor, though it can beat most of them in a straight line, even newer ones.

They both came with around the same horsepower. The lotus weighs 5-700lbs less.
The 914 is built like a brick shithouse. Styled like one too.

The front of the lotus is styled like a ferrari, vintage jag, lotus formula racecar. The rear must have been designed by the guy who styled the 914.

As you tear the 914 apart you are amazed at how well it is engineered. As you assist the lotus in falling apart, you are amazed at its cheapness.

The electrical system absolutely sucks in the Lotus.

Strangers make positive comments about the 914. Strangers ask to sit or rather lie down in the Lotus, then can't help but burst out lauging and start making engine noises and pretending to set up for corner 10 at mosport.

My Dad, who isn't really a car guy, wasn't that interested in the Porsche, but for some reason the Lotus captured his imagination, so he's going to keep and use it when it is done.

I live on a busy street. The newly restored 914 draws the occasional honk or a visit from a fellow owner. The Lotus - even dead and shabby - attracts crowds and often other Lotii out of nowhere.

The lotus makes few compromises to handling. The 914 is practical and versatile.

The Porsche is cool. The Lotus is really cool.

Having tagged and bagged them all for two examples of each car, I'd bet the Lotus has fewer than half as many parts as the 914.

150000 914s were made, 9000 Europas.

Lotus recently developed the Elise, a lightweight simple but sophisticated mid engined sports car with amazing handling by any standard, no stupid gee gaws, a non-exotic engine, priced so mere mortals could afford it. (sound familiar?) Porsche? Worked with VW on the Cayenne/Toerag.

There are pages of Lucas electric jokes. Porsches ist nicht funny.

Good night!

BTW, I will be extensively documenting both restorations at

www3.sympatico.ca/dave.syer

Dave
Aaron Cox
them is fightin words! lol2.gif
Lotus914
Oh yeah, I forgot to compare the way they sound.... rolleyes.gif really, the way 914s look and sound, its a good thing they don't have a smell!

(old bagpipe joke)

Dave (Driving my 914, restoring my Lotus)
shoguneagle
It is very enjoyable to see a Lotus Europa on a 914 board. In their day, they were to closest thing in production to a Formula car. low center of gravity, handling, etc were their trademark. Ugly, yes; Appealing, yes. You had to throw yourself into to the car and roll yourself out on hands and knees. I like them: even with having the black art, Lucus - The Prince of Darkness, as an electrical system. I may be mistaken on this but I think some models may have had the Ford Cosworth engine and Big Valve Head? installed in this type car. There were several of the Europa's that were made into race cars (called a type 47); even one of these cars had a Rover V-8 put in them (supposedly still in existence and being restored). Essentially a street version race car.

914? Ugly, yes; Appealing, yes. Excellent driver and dependable although not enough power for what the car is designed and has been done with it performance wise. Does not have the Prince of Darkness syndrome. It does come with a flat six which is still short on power; conversions after market has placed higher performance engines in the car includiing American V-8's. Handles extremely well. With modifications, makes an excellent race car; some people say it has won more races for the Porsche name without being called a Porsche

I have a Lotus (Esprit Series 1) and a Porsche (914-8, Chev V-8; currently converting to Porsche flat -6). I have rebuilt/restored both to some degree of running on the road. I enjoy both very much with each having advantages as well as draw backs. The Esprit I have is derived from the Europa with a tube inter frame whereas the 914 is unibody. Both built to save weight and made to handle. One is limited production, hand made; the other is mass produced, machine made. One has the Prince of Darkness, the other has Bosch. I enjoy them both, how lucky I am !!!!

Just some comments on how I see these cars, and only my opinion.

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
GWN7
Hi Dave,

welcome to the board. We spoke on the other one about pricing of the lotus, some time ago. The one I was thinking about aquiring didn't work out (owner thinks it's made of gold), but I'm still looking. Had a look at your site. clap56.gif
Lotus914
GWN - I remember that, you're in Winnipeg right?. Well, don't tell the owner of that car, but you can get replacememt chasssis Made in Canada now for $2000Cdn a guy in Montreal - about half the previous rate, making restoration financially a little more sensible. Thanks for cheking out the site - I jut did it and it is a little rough, but I'll keep chipping away at it. I hve tons of detail pictures of my teener and T4 rebuild I want to get up there to return the favour to newbies in the 914 community.
I love Esprits, and the S1, S2, S3 still do evoke Europa in a lot of ways. As they evolved they really grew into the supercar league both in terms of refinement and restoration cost. Steve, what's it been like living with the S1? I've seen a tired ones around - cheap - but have been warned about restoration costs. I'd love to get a na S3, but I don't think they ever crossed the pond.
Regarding Europa models, they had a few iterations and power plants
S1 (Series 1) Lotus type 46 chassis bonded within body, seats molded into the body, non-operating windows. Started production in 1966 IIRC 1470cc Renault, all alloy engine and 4 speed transaxle.
S2 Type 54 Non-bonded, removable chassis (insurance issue as Mike points out - I know a guy who is replacing the chassis in a S1, a real pain) Adjustable seats, more conventional dash, same engine as S1.
S2 Type 65 Series 2 Federal. As above, designed to meet US crash and emissions requirements.
Twin Cam Type 74. a bit taller, heavier, different chassis, more upright driving position, 1565cc lotus Twincam engine, 'sail panels' cut down. The engine has a weber carbed variant (126hp?), and a US emissions version with sucky stromberg carbs and cast-in place siamesed intake runners. 105hp Steve, is this what you are referring to as the Cosworth? I think it was designed by Mike COStin, but he was a lotus employee at the time. The type 47 is the race car variant as you mention, and there was a custom one off rover V8 version that is written up a lot. Analogous to the 914/6GT, and the 914/8 respectively. I found it interesting that Lotus was selling the Cosworth BDA as an engine option at the time, and I think that may have been what went into the type 47, though it may have been the TC. The BDA was is pretty much copied and de-quirked by the Toyota 4age (corolla GTS, formula atlantic I think) and would be an awesome engine in a europa, though conversion is a bit involved.
There is less of a 'purist' sentiment in the Europa world, (the guy making them didn't much care about such things!) so lots of cars get engine transplants without offending the faithful, though unlike the wonderfully overengineered 914, the Europa is designed around 100hp and needs lots of re-engineering to tolerate much more. (per Chapman's thinking, everything is very flimsy) I will be putting a 120hp Renault Gordini engine and a 5-speed in mine - all alloy, very light, conversion about as complicated as putting a six in a 914/4. Guess what D-Jet EFI! The power to weight ratio will be around that of an early '70's 911 RSR.

Glad to see my 914 comments were received in the spirit in which they were delivered! I was out in my teener last night with tunes up the roof off and a greeat big grin on. I'll be grinding and glassing my Europa today.

Regards, Dave
maf914
Dave, Welcome. Glad you've joined this BBS. I enjoyed your Lotus posts on the PP. I remember that a storm flipped your stripped body over (referring to the Europa, that is! laugh.gif ) in your driveway.

Mike
Lotus914
Thanks Mike and others for the welcome!

Hey GWN, was that black Europa a JPS twin cam special? If so the owner is probably right that it is worth more than a couple grand, even as a project. It is kind of like the 914/6 of the Europa world. So you know, the Twin cam special had trim covering the funny rockers covers, and a 5-speed transmission among other options. They were black with gold pinstiping and the JPS logo I think in honour of Lotus's formula one championship in that livery. Even if it is a non JPS Twin Cam special, it might be worth something.

Dave
GWN7
Dave,

the body of the car I was looking at was in good shape (needed paint). Altho I didn't get as far as doing a real close inspection. What it needed, was to be put back together. All the interior (dash, wireing, seats, ect.) was torn apart. Don't know shape of the engine/trans. Asked the guy if he was interested in selling, he said "sure, 10K" and that was the end of our conversation. wink.gif

I have a buddy who's looking for another one for me. I'm sure there is more laying around in someones back yard/compound that can be found for the right price.
thesey914
laugh.gif
QUOTE(Lotus914 @ Oct 10 2003, 08:16 PM)
........As you assist the lotus in falling apart, you are amazed at its cheapness  

I think Lotus and Porsche are similar in concept -they only make sports cars (Cayenne not withstanding)
I think the Europa and the 914 are similar -they share the same "redheaded stepchild" perception from the other models in their respective marques.

Didn't Lotus buy two 914's to see how they were made and why they handled so well?
URY914
After studying the 914's, Colin decided to go with fiberglass laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Paul
GWN7
Dave,

it was Black, but couldn't see any gold pinstriping or any cresting. There was a emblem or what was left of one on the sail panel area. I can't remember what it looked like now. Could have been a JPS logo. Kept forgetting to take my camera when I went out that way. If it's still there Monday I'll take some pictures.
shoguneagle
Dave,

I forgot to say, "Welcome to the 914Club site"

Yes, the engine I was thinking of is the twin cam.

Now, for the Series 1: I enjoy the Series 1 (aka called the G-car after the designer and the restoration process does not seem to be out of line with doing a 914-4 or Alfa Romeo cars. The key to these cars is finding everything intact as with any car and not involved in an accident. The frame assembly could lead to unnecessary expenses. It follows along the same profile as to what you are incurring doing your Europa. If you check and search resourced you can find everything. The sources are there. The Lotus 907 engine may not be the greatest but it runs very well subject to oil leaks around the lower cam cover. Change over to a Lotus 910 engine parts (heads etc) probably cures the problem. You just have to be careful putting on the cam cover gasket. Nice cars to drive even being normally asperated at 165hp, Dellordo carbs. I have about $8,000 in mine which includes rebuilding the bottom end of engine, car purchase, Dellordo Carbs (put the Zenith/Strombergs on for smog purposes, replacing missing smog equipment, 1988 Esprit seats, etc. The car will need interior and then we start looking at the steering/steering rack rebuilding.

The 914 car I have came from a junk yard with virtually nothing on it. It took me about ten years having fun in finding parts and putting the thing together as a -4. The whole intent of this car and still is today is a working project car: built the four; converted to
v-8; now converting to -6 flat Porsche (this time will be finished and painted) The costs total about the same as the Lotus Esprit.

Each car is unique in its own right: the essential differences lie in the mass produced vs the hand produced which leads to the availability of sources and resource. Right back to the projects you are doing.

I probably do not put as much into finishing until the proper time. I concentrate on the mechanicals and making sure everything running smoothly. As long as they look decent while I am building them, I am happy getting dirty and making things run right.

The biggest problem on the Lotus was finding and correcting mistakes the previous owners had made including locating missing parts. But, again that is half the fun in learning and understanding the car's quirks.

Please keep me posted on your projects.

Again, welcome. the guys on this board are very resourceful and helpfull

Steve Hurt
shoguneagle@yahoo.com
Charles Deutsch
The 914 is not ugly (except maybe from the rear 3/4 view)!
Randal
Fond thoughts!

I owned a BRG Elan S4 in England (picture attached). It was light, if I remember correctly some 1400 odd pounds and had a big valve 1558cc engine. It would stay up with a 911 (6) until it peak out at about 115 mph.

The Elan’s handling was a dream, but not as good as a Europa. I was thinking about buying a Europa and tested one at a dealer. That drive set the standard for handling for me – it literally felt like it was on rails. Only problem was at 6’1” I couldn’t sit in the driver seat without hitting my head on the roof. So much for the Europa.

And all the posts about Lotus reliability were true, in that my Elan did take a bit of work to keep running perfect, but it didn’t matter how much grief you’d experienced when the top was down and your were tooling around England on a sunny day. It was fast and handled better than any other production car I’ve driven, except for that Europa.

At the last Sears Point historics race I saw this summer, an Elan walked away from the entire field including some very very fast 911’s, Shelby Mustangs and Corvettes. Pretty impressive!

I’m still kicking myself for not putting the Elan in a box and shipping it back. It was in perfect condition when I sold it, for just about nothing, before I came back to California.

There was nothing like an Elan on English country roads on a sunny day.
tod914
How were the new elans of the 90s? Sharp looking little car. Was the dependability any better with them? The rights to that car were sold off to KIA if I remember correctly.
type47fan
Hello all,

Interesting Note:

Lotus Europa: Type 47
VW/Porsche 4 cyl: Type 47

I first became interested in the mid engined configuration back in the early sixties when the GT40 roared on the scene. Settled on the 914 as being the most fun to drive, easiest to self maintain, availability of discarded examples to pull parts from, excellent platform from which to explore upgrades/changes, etc, etc, etc.

Wayne (type47fan)
VegasRacer
A Lotus in action with 914 license plates.
Lotus914
For fun I re-wrote and posted that earlier Europa vs 914 thread on my site, and most of the Lotus guys had a good laugh. A good many have also owned 914s, one guy owned one of the original GTs. Another posted this to the Europa mailing list. We're encouraging him to tell the tale and if he does, I'll post it here.

Dave

johannes_ditz wrote:
> Dave,
>
> don`t be so nasty about 914s. Mine sounds better
> than an early 911,
> and an early Europa, too. I have experienced another
> difference: When
> you crash with a 914 at the Nuerburgring
> Nordschleife, you don`t die,
> with a Lotus Europa you don`t crash.
>
> Joh Ditz
> 914 043 1678
echocanyons
I gotta say I love the elise and the exige and this one but I dunno the name
echocanyons
m250??
rhodyguy
my wife would rather have one of these. panoz roadster.

kevin
thesey914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 17 2003, 06:36 PM)
I gotta say I love the elise and the exige and this one but I dunno the name

echocanyons, I'm pretty sure that IS the Exige.....IIRC it has 180Hp with a 780 kg body. blink.gif
echocanyons
Yeah the first one is an Exige

but the second picture is probably a concept car called m250
echocanyons
here is another of the m250
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.