Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First impressions of Mike Mueller's Roller bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav

We'll I just got back from a 100 mile drive with Mike Mueller's roller bearings freshly installed and I can't say enough good things about them. My suspension set up before was this: I have fresh Koni yellows all around with coil-overs and 21mm torsion bars and Smart Racing adjustable front sway. Those are nice pieces to have. I also had the factory rubber bushings that were not worn all around.

Before, driving around wasn't bearable for long distances because all bumps in the road, expansion joints, uneven pavement etc would rattle the car and vibrate it and transmit much of that through to my seat and over time this became really uncomfortable. Also, in corners or changing lanes on bumpy surfaces my car felt like the kind of hopped around. And all the bumps and road imperfections would create a lot of noise in the car. My targa top would never stop squeaking either. So, in short it was rather exhausting to drive the car any length of time because of all the noise and vibration etc.

Now, with the roller bearings it's unbelievable. It's quiet for one thing, my targa top doesn't squeak anymore. I don't feel bumps. Railway tracks, expansion joints, various road imperfections, uneven pavement nothing seems to be a problem. They're quite simply gone. The car is solid as a rock where before it was chaos. I can drive forever just listening to the engine. I would drive over stuff that I KNOW would be unbearable with rubber bushings but now, serenity.

This is such a fantastic upgrade to the suspension and It's so hard to imagine unless you actually experience it. It's like night and day. The price of entry is nothing compared to the comfort and confidence inspiring changes in suspension that allows you to attack corners without fear of being bounced or rattled off course. It's empowering.

My hat is off to Mike Mueller and his super fantastic product. They are worth every penny and more.

driving.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif thumb3d.gif
Gint
Damn shame he's not producing any more of them. poke.gif
Jeroen
slightly off topic...
Olaf, you can use the "edit" button
that's easier/faster than rewriting your post 4 times wink.gif

But good to hear your happy with Mike's bearings!
Andyrew
Ohhh.. thats why my post (and another guys) dissapeared.

Olav, I agree entirely with your post.. its night and day! I think, I'll go for a short drive right now!!

Andrew
Gint
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 24 2006, 02:06 PM) *

slightly off topic...

And please tell Andrew why you deleted your thread that had his post in it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw Andrew's post while I was writing him a PM.
olav
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 24 2006, 01:06 PM) *

slightly off topic...

Ok, that's a good idea! smile.gif

I first didn't know how to edit the title of the post then I was on a roll w00t.gif
iamchappy
Good job to all those lucky enough to have purchased them when you could.
Now as with many other 914 highly needed parts they are unobtainable.

The rest of us will have to settle with Poly bronze.

Lets here impressions from the Poly Bronze installs.
anthony
Won't poly bronze provide a similar ride and performance?
olav
QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 24 2006, 02:06 PM) *

Nope.
Andyrew
Close, but it wont be quite as good as roller...

The ply bronze will take the weight load from the car, and that will be the resistance on the ply bronze...

the roller bearings take virtualy no resistance from weight load, because the load is spread over lots of tiny roller shafts, instead of one big one...

At least.. thats how I understand it.

andrew
anthony
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 24 2006, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 24 2006, 02:06 PM) *

Nope.

Have you tried both? I mean the poly bronze have to be much closer to roller bearings in performance than they are to the stock rubber bushings.

Andyrew
Anthony..

I would consider Ply bronze a step down from roller bearings....

but a giant leap above the welt polyurithane bushings, which are a step above stock..

Andrew
drive-ability
Are you saying the rollers are not available anywhere?
olav
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 24 2006, 03:13 PM) *

Are you saying the rollers are not available anywhere?

you can get them but for $650.00 a pair. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Hey Mueller,

will you copy the set I have.. oh wait.. you already did!

He will make more, or I'll get the pieces and contacts from him.

The margins are very slim. It is very close to not being worth the time effort to assemble the kits for sale.

This is the main reason why he isnt planning on selling more kits.

Ira from Tarett engineering has/had one set left.

Another point: hand holding. The kit requires phone time/and or face time for installation.

B
Brad Roberts
Olav,

they sell for $425 for front and $425 for the rear.

B
Andyrew
That was mikes price... other places have higher prices.. no?

Time is another thing that kills the production of these.. I watched mike make my set... Took him nearly all day! It was one of the reasons why he said he's not doing them anymore.. Brad, getting someone else to do them I think would be something mike would allow.... he's just got WAY to much things on his hands.. with the twins and everything.. Im very apreciative that he made me a set..

"hand holding"
Along with being shown exactly what to do by mike, and his detailed instructions, I PMed him 3 times on some specifics... and I generally dont look at instructions when installing things... or fabricating...

Andrew
Bleyseng
Well, I can say with the poly/bronze fronts vs Poly its pretty damn different. Smooth over bumps and bad road conditions so sounds similar to the roller bearings.

Very easy to install with complete instructions that took longer on each side as I was doing a upgrade to 911 struts at the same time. If you are just dropping the a arms and installing a day is plenty of time to do this.
olav
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 25 2006, 10:10 AM) *

Olav,

they sell for $425 for front and $425 for the rear.

B

Just trying to increase the margin. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.