Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TOW DOLLY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I picked up a nice Kar Kaddy tow dolly today. Found it on Craigslist listed for 500 and drove about an hour and a half out of town to pick it up. Its in good shape with a little 914 infection on it in places (RUST) but it has new Cooper tires on it and fresh wheel bearings and led lights. Now I can plan on coming to next years events when my car gets finished. I am still hoping I will get it on the road this Summer but the engine builder and body shop keep finding excuses for not getting the job done. They seem to have time for everyone else but me.
Thack
How long has your car been at the shops?
iamchappy
They have had my engine since October.
McMark
That looks like the one I had for awhile. Watch out for taking corners too sharp because the tow dolly fender will impact the 914 doors and dent them. dry.gif Otherwise, it works great!
iamchappy
Do you think I should install some rubber snubbers to prevent the Dolly from turning to sharply.
GWN7
Be very careful backing up with it.....
Aaron Cox
500 bones? is that going rate? you can pickup dual axle flat trailers here on craigslist for that sad.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 25 2006, 04:44 PM) *

500 bones? is that going rate? you can pickup dual axle flat trailers here on craigslist for that sad.gif

no you can't huh.gif

i've been looking, for a loooong time.
of course, now that i've bought one, you'll probably post a link to a $500 trailer that is currently available. smile.gif

And yes $500 is the going rate, but portland seems to have a bunch of them for some reason confused24.gif
the cheapest NEW dolly i found was $795 and $895 with brakes.
Aaron Cox
heh i have seen a few in IE craigslist.....

but you are right 700+ usually
TROJANMAN
i looked there too. no dice, or at least very few and very far between, and probably homemade by one of slit's neighbors..
but then again, who want to visit the IE? happy11.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 25 2006, 05:53 PM) *

heh i have seen a few in IE craigslist.....

but you are right 700+ usually

Let me know when you see a trailer for $500. I have a tow vehicle in desperate need of a cheap trailer.
Dave-O
Looks nice Chappy!

I just picked up a tandom car trailer in Eagen for $600. It needs a little TLC but it seems solid. I'll post pictures of it when I load my car on it for the weekend beerchug.gif
iamchappy
I dont have room for a full trailer around here or a tow vehicle big enough. It's hard to find Tow Dollys much cheaper, Kar Kaddy dollys cost 2500 new. I was considering D Lee's flat tow bar but liked the idea of being able to tow other cars.
andys
If those ramps are not removable or retractable, be careful when entering driveways not to high-center your car with the ramps. Could make some nasty damage.

Andys
iamchappy
They are removable but are bolted on, I dont see a problem with them. I have used these type dollys quite a few times without problems but will stay away from steep driveways.

All I want to do today is work on fixing up the damn dolly. A little rustoleum and a few stickers, a pair of fuchs and it will look fine.
Aaron Cox
fuchs! nice!!! that would look super cool LOL

cookies or phone dials are cheaper smile.gif
iamchappy
I used to see Fuch style plastic hub caps on wheels years ago they would be cheaper yet . After all its only and old rusted tow dolly which will see about 10 bucks of paint.
1bad914
Great find!

I would shoot an engine builder that had my motor that long, but then again I build my own so I would have to shoot myself! smile.gif I hope you did not pay him up front! The start looks good though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.