Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Success AND Failure in the same day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
ok, some of you remember my tranny follies.....

found the 10 dollar socket, pulled the gear stack, and went to go see joe sharp and thomas (tranny guru)...

we found out what was causing the horrendous gear noise! i got this tranny in a box, with all new synchros/sliders/dogs from Jeff Bonanno for free! (Jeff you rock!) apparently, we assembled everything, and there was a 911 (901) firstgear on their that was different! it had an offset to it, but looked the same to the naked eye!! so thomas fetched me a 1st gear from one of his trannies (this guy rocks) and a new dogteeth for first gear (the 911 ones are different! and this one had a 911 one! ) reassembled the Bitch... and then i watched thomas do an alignment on his car. (i learn something new everytime i hang with joe/thomas)

fast forward 1 hour of traffic.....

i am home. spend 3 minutes, grab my nitrile gloves (which a stole from work tongue.gif) and threw on the nomex coveralls (thanks headrage) and proceded to install gearstack.

Brando came by, and assisted with buttoning up the exhaust....

filled up the tranny with 90w, and started it up.

NO MORE TRANNY NOISES!!!!

hoo freakin ra!!! hell yeeeeaaaahhhhh!
(you can ask brando how excited i was)

thanks to thomas and joe, for figgering out what the deal was....

ok... fast forward 10 minutes.....

car is off ramps, warmed up and ready to rock.
brando is strapped into the 5 points as navigator, and off we go.

first gear... waaaaaaaaaaaa 2nd... waaaaaaaaaaaaa 3rd weeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaa 4 th waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 5th waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3rd is on top of second, 4th rocks! it flies!!!!!!

pull back home and pop yells turn it off!!!!!

huge oil leak.....

guess where it is coming from.... between tranny and engine...

i must have knocked out the input shaft seal when i put the stack back in.

I hate life. i hate this crap. i have literally pulled this tranny 3x already sad.gif

so.... anyone local got a lift? my back is tired of the asphalt....

gratuitous pics of exxon valdez cleanup and tranny guts will be posted after dinner....

AA
Brando
Aye, it puts Dr. Evil's oil leak to shame.

I thought trannies only held 3 quarts.

And you need a few more "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"s before 5th.
JoeSharp
AAron: You better straighten out your Karma now, cause it only gets worse latter.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Trekkor
Sorry about this news.

One of the reasons I haven't fixed my first gear... dry.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
first is easy, you can do it in the car.....

it just costs money.

so, brando said he would order me up a mainshaft seal....
aiming to do it next friday.

just bummed. but the tranny shifted great :permagrin:
BigDBass
Hey Aaron, I'm happy for your progress and sympathetic to the hiccup. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

It's somehow inspiring and comforting to see a member whom I highly respect and admire hit bumps in the road.

I wish I could offer more than moral support!
Aaron Cox
you have misplaced your admiration LOL. !!!!!!
hey man, thanks. i realllly appreciate it. i feel i broke even for the day with the help of thomas.

i am over it. i reaaaaallyhate pulling the tranny... so i can stew onb that for a week. smile.gif

AA
JoeSharp
AAron: What do you mean a week? WTF are you doing tomorrow??? That thing can be running in 2 or 3 hours....
Dr Evil
I feel your pain man. You probably buckled the seal and knocked the spring ring out of it when you installed the shaft into the hole. easy fix, nothing but time......and more time.

You are lucky to have Joe, Thomas and Brando. Everyone out here is at least an hour away....most 3.
JoeSharp
agree.gif biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 24 2006, 09:35 PM) *

AAron: What do you mean a week? WTF are you doing tomorrow??? That thing can be running in 2 or 3 hours....

working and school work for class on monday...

i can only play on firdays and saturdays LOL

dr. i hear ya. huge thanks to thomas. he and joe are saints smile.gif

elwood-914
Need some paper towels to clean up the mess in the street?? poke.gif
TROJANMAN
good news aaron.
we both got our cars running today with a little tranny work, and a little help from our friends smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
a parrallel universe called colorado smile.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 24 2006, 08:24 PM) *

so.... anyone local got a lift? my back is tired of the asphalt....
AA

Call Slits. laugh.gif (sorry, had to do it)

Brando came by, and assisted with buttoning up the exhaust....

I sure miss the days of being able to stop by a friends house unannounced and help work on cars. sad.gif Maybe one day I will be able to live closer to my 914 buddies. Of couse by then, you will all be moved away. :sigh:
:pitypartyovernow:
Elliot_Cannon
Fixing it is easy. Hell, even you can do that!! The hard part is finding what the hell is wrong in the first place and it looks like you got expert help with that. The worse part though is when you finally get it all sorted out then Slits blows your doors off with a stock 2.0!! biggrin.gif

Cheers, Elliot

craig downs

I know how you feel and I feel your pain. It reminds me of that hard fight I had with
Eclispe transmission. But at least it works now and its only a oil leak which is an
easy fix. You have to look at this way and it always works for me and keeps me
going. I was down at a friends shop and he was going to pull the engine out of
a Ford pickup and change the bearings and rering it. I looked at the engine
compartment and said boy you have you work cut out for you. He looked at me and
told me "its only nuts and bolts". I say those words everytime when I have something big to do on a car or truck Then I take a deep breath and dig in into it.
redshift
Yay! At least you have the problem figgered out! ROCK!

M
Bleyseng
Ok, atleast you got to enjoy the fun shifting of the closebox!

Pull it and replace the mainshaft seal and look to replace the pilot bearing in the flywheel too. Make sure its located properly in the flywheel and not pushed into the crank. If this bearing is destroyed you will have more leaks!

ask me how I figured this one out.. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
the box was fun indeed!!!

geoff, i will look at that when i pull it.

hope the seal didnt fall into the tranny... LOL
Aaron Cox
the stack!
Click to view attachment

the cleanup (water and soap)
Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
It was a hoot watching you guys work! av-943.gif Does that gear go there ???? confused24.gif that was really entertaining too happy11.gif slap.gif screwy.gif I won't tell biggrin.gif

Linda @ Joe's house
Aaron Cox
hey linda... shut it LOL

LESSON LEARNED: DO NOT ASSEMBLE INCOMPLETE TRANNIES FROM A BOX OF PARTS smile.gif

chairfall.gif

here was the problem....

first gear had an "offset" , making it stick out too far, and had the wrong NEW dogteeth on it.... (911)....

so we swapped a first gear from a 914 and works great.
Brad Roberts
Ask Andy and Jenny how many times I had their trannies out for the exact same reason (leak)

In both cases:

Neither crankshaft had the sleeve for the inoput shaft of the tranny.

Drove me nucking futs. I know we installed at least 3 input shaft seals between the two of them until I figured it out on Andy's car.

B
Aaron Cox
same flywheel bearing, and same flywheel. just a different tranny smile.gif

thanks for the phone support yesterday smile.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 25 2006, 10:17 AM) *

It was a hoot watching you guys work! av-943.gif Does that gear go there ???? confused24.gif that was really entertaining too happy11.gif slap.gif screwy.gif I won't tell biggrin.gif

Linda @ Joe's house

av-943.gif
JoeSharp
OH YEAH!!!! boldblue.gif clap56.gif happy11.gif smilie_pokal.gif smoke.gif thumb3d.gif

Linda @ Joe's house
Demick
Let me guess, you installed the gearstack with the tranny in the car. I've said this many times - it's almost impossible to install the gearstack back into the tranny without damaging the mainshaft seal - or at least knocking off the spring that keeps tension on the seal.

The ONLY way I would ever do this, is to remove the side cover which provides access to the diff. From there, you have plain sight access to the mainshaft seal. One person installs the gearstack assembly from the rear - a 2nd person guides the mainshaft as it comes through and makes sure it goes right through the main seal without disturbing the spring.

If you do it blind, I'd say there is a 99% chance of distrubing the spring/damaging the seal.

Demick
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 25 2006, 10:54 AM) *

Let me guess, you installed the gearstack with the tranny in the car. I've said this many times - it's almost impossible to install the gearstack back into the tranny without damaging the mainshaft seal - or at least knocking off the spring that keeps tension on the seal.

The ONLY way I would ever do this, is to remove the side cover which provides access to the diff. From there, you have plain sight access to the mainshaft seal. One person installs the gearstack assembly from the rear - a 2nd person guides the mainshaft as it comes through and makes sure it goes right through the main seal without disturbing the spring.

If you do it blind, I'd say there is a 99% chance of distrubing the spring/damaging the seal.

Demick

yep....

you guessed it. followed redbeards article about pulling the stack while the trans is in the car....

next time i will drop the motor...

hope i didnt kill the clutch.
Demick
You don't need to drop the motor. Dropping just the tranny is definitely easier and faster than doing the motor and tranny together.

Aaron Cox
sorry.. that is what i meant. dropping the tranny (cv's /header/ etc all have to come off...
Duffster

gratuitous pics of exxon valdez cleanup ...
AA
[/quote]

Hey! I resemble that!!!! smile.gif
draperjojo
When I slide a seal on a shaft I usually wrap the shaft with electrical tape up to the area the seal rides, slide the seal over the tape and into place, then remove the electrical tape. Sometimes the shafts have burrs or keyseats with sharp edges and you can nick a brand new seal on the install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.