Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why sandblasting your car is a bad idea ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i've said it many times, DON'T ever think about sandbalsting your car. it sucks. yes, it *really* sucks ...

3 years later and i'm still finding tons of sand, i have to clean out the interior every 2 weeks or so because it's still blowing out of the cracks ...

so today while cutting some access holes to run the lines for the front-mounted oil cooler, guess what we found ...

ar15.gif LOTS OF SAND

ahhhhhhhhh
headbang.gif Andy
McMark
barf.gif
Trekkor
That's a lot of extra weight.

You were in Napa today?

KT

Rand
Today, casual inspection and parts assembly on Rich's creamsicle... hmmm... stick your finger in this hole... what do you feel? Surprising how much gets left behind!

Between the air hose in one hole and the shop vac out the other, I think we could have recovered enough sand to give the kids a nice sandbox! laugh.gif
Katmanken
Uh Oh.....

You went a little over on the sand blasting.......

Prolly sandblasted a hole into the space time continum and your car is forever joined to the sandblasting universe...

That means you will forever receive free sand in your car......

Next time blast your car with money...

You will forever find money under the seats and in the trunk...

Ken happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
scary barf.gif
Toast
pinch.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 25 2006, 09:55 AM) *

Next time blast your car with money...
You will forever find money under the seats and in the trunk...

now there's an idea!

w00t.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
I guess they all don't use silica sand, yours looks like river bank sand.
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 01:14 PM) *

yeah, that would make a *huge* difference!
instead of big lumpy sand i would have fine grain sand all over my interior.

damm those bastards, i could have had "silica sand" instead!
blink.gif Andy
LvSteveH
I have a 76 914 that was actually ruined by sandblasting. At some point the hell hole was sand blasted, then a repair welded in. Ten pounds of moist sand was sealed up in the long for a very long time.

When I got the car the initial inspection was pretty good, no typical signs of trouble. After getting the interior out and probing around, it became clear that the rust had nearly eaten its way out, and all the metal around the long/hell hole/firewall in that area were paper thin. The only thing solid was the repair piece that had been welded in to seal it all up. Once I was done pealing away the thin metal with a pair of pliers and some tin snips, there was a huge pile of sand and rust, and the car was pretty much beyond repair. R.I.P. barf.gif
McMark
Are you sure the sand didn't just blow into the car while driving around the Vegas desert? Maybe it doubled as a rally car. lol2.gif poke.gif
elwood-914
Baghdad cruiser?? poke.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2006, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 01:14 PM) *

yeah, that would make a *huge* difference!
instead of big lumpy sand i would have fine grain sand all over my interior.

damm those bastards, i could have had "silica sand" instead!
blink.gif Andy

When Iam getting ready to spray a car, one of the last things I do is with an air

nosel I blow out all of the primer, filler, and any other dust that might hide in all

sorts of weard places. Sand (from sandpaper and being on the road) is not a

stranger to anyone that has been in this position. But it has to go, and with air

and some patience it does.
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 02:56 PM) *

Sand (from sandpaper and being on the road) is not a
stranger to anyone that has been in this position. But it has to go, and with air
and some patience it does.

explain to me how you get sand out of the doublewalled lower portion of the rear firewall by blowing air? there are only two small access holes on *top* where the double wall turns into the single back firewall. no exit holes below anywhere.
how in the world is a blowing air nose going to help you there?

i'm confuzzled ...
blink.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
If sand can get in those holes it can get out. In a situation like that we seal the

hole to the nosal with rubber gum, crank the PSI and blow it out the other. Like

I said patience. In the same situation and you acid dip it is that not a place for

the acid to sit unmolested so it can continue to eat metal?
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 03:30 PM) *

In the same situation and you acid dip it is that not a place for
the acid to sit unmolested so it can continue to eat metal?

no. the acid is neutrualized (sp?) in a second bath that leaves a zink coating very much like the coating you get when spraying metal ready ...

there is *no* acid left when the car comes out of the second bath ...
smile.gif Andy
914werke
In my case it wasnt sand but plastic.
But it does work the challeng can be sealing an given area
and getting enough PSI to get it airborn.
The plastic is pretty easy because its light and powdery.
smile.gif
Crazyhippy
I've seen similar in cars that lived a few blocks from the beach... now it's salty sand too... DOH
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

My 914 was sand blasted in 1996, ever time I really clean the interior I allways find sand in some places,under the spare tire. just a fine dusting around the edges. Or it did come from Texas maybe that???? Dave slap.gif
william harris
Andy: that is why I had my car media blasted with baking soda. Yes, more than a year latter occassionally some baking soda weeps out of some hidden crevise, but it is very easy to clean up with a little water. I suspect there may be some trapped in the same area was your sand mine. But the baking soda itself really presents no problems. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.