Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with 914 for sale on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Clubbers--

Got a friend who is interested in jumping into the teener market and needed some help on a car he saw on eBay. For sale in York, PA. Auction din't close late last week. Owner says it is a '73 2.0 liter but we're having trouble authenticating an engine code (GA for 73 2.0 liters correct?). Auction ended just over $3K. Owner is looking for $7,500.

Couple of Q's we have:
1) is this a real 2.0 liter?
2) is this a factory or custom interior (we look to change it)?
3) other problems to look for (engine bar, floor boards, undercarriage??)
4) where do we find/confirm the engine code?

Here's the item number to look it up: 4650963224

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Ivory-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Any advice or someone in the area that can check it out would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

John
Porsche Rescue
Interior cloth is all "custom", not factory. Engine should be GA code (hard to see, but stamped on a flat surface just inside of the distributor location. There should be 3 studs holding he intake manifolds to the heads, not 4 as on a 1.7/1.8/bus. The spark plug wires should enter the engine tin on the side, not on the top as with 1.7/1.8.

From the looks of the paint, that is not a $7500 car. Maybe $4500 IF there is no significant rust.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Jun 25 2006, 09:53 AM) *

Clubbers--

Got a friend who is interested in jumping into the teener market and needed some help on a car he saw on eBay. For sale in York, PA. Auction din't close late last week. Owner says it is a '73 2.0 liter but we're having trouble authenticating an engine code (GA for 73 2.0 liters correct?). Auction ended just over $3K. Owner is looking for $7,500.

Couple of Q's we have:
1) is this a real 2.0 liter?
2) is this a factory or custom interior (we look to change it)?
3) other problems to look for (engine bar, floor boards, undercarriage??)
4) where do we find/confirm the engine code?

Here's the item number to look it up: 4650963224

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Ivory-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Any advice or someone in the area that can check it out would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

John

John,
There are a couple of visual indicators that this is a 2.0 liter. It has the two liter Fuchs. It has the appearance group center console and gauges. No pics of the engine so...
I couple of thoughts on this car though. First of all, it looks a little rough. The owner has been quite good about taking pictures of the flaws and that is to be commended but the pictures show rust and where there is rust there is more rust. The interior is partly custom which is ok if it is to your taste.
In my opinion, the auction ended at about what the car is worth. Perhaps I am spoiled by living in California and having a few more 914's around but that is not a "good condition" car and Excellence listed the value of good condition cars in that area last November.
My suggestion would be for your friend to look for a West Coast car listed on this site or PP or Rennlist. Expect to pay $5K to $10K but you will deal with less rust.
Your friend could buy the car here and have one of our many members do a PPI. Lots of car haulers to choose from or if it is reliable make an adventure of it and drive it home. driving.gif
wilchek
get some more pics of the engine. This is near Dr.Evil see if he can do an inspection on it for you. Either way too much $$. Seems like he paid too much for what he says he had done. Clearly he went to a shop who charged him Porsche pricing not VW pricing.
Dr Evil
I would be glad to take a look at it after the 19th of July. Don't worry, at the price he wants I would not suspect it to sell quickly.
2pointOH
Thanks to all for the feedback and help!! I'll relay it to my friend Chris.

Dr. Evil--If it's no big deal to stop by to inspect the car let me know.

Let me know if you guys see any other 2.0 liters that look promising.

Thanks!!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.