Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Where to stay in Portland ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigbohr
My wife and i will be visiting Portland at the end of July.
I was wondering whether someone here can give us some suggestions for places to stay that are well located to visit the city, close to nice restaurants/bars. Something comfortable (going with my wife) that doesn't break the bank ...
Thanks!
Johan
Bruce Allert
The Days Inn right near the Monarch Hotel in Clackamas where the WCC is being held is good and also cheap. $56 a night I pretty sure. Right near the interstate to take you to downtown or out to the boonies to see the sites out I-84 way. Lots of shopping malls & good eartry's too.

If you want right downtown (but they're spendy) Marriot is across from the River.

How about Troutdale? McMinnimens has a bed & breakfast type Hotel Called Edgefield. The old Poor Farm fixed up. I think It's about $90 a night and has an 18 hole executive golf course, A couple restaurants and multiple taverns with wine tasting. It's an experience in itself! Edgefield

.......b
double-a
there are several hotels in the jantzen beach area, a couple miles north of portland's downtown.

~a
cassidy_bolger
I would reccomend anything in the heart of downtown - look for SW or NW prefix to the address. The city is very walkable from many hotels in the center of the city and the streeets should be plenty lively in late July. There are several neighborhoods to visit for eating and shopping right in the center of town (NW 23rd & 21st, the Pearl District, SW Broadway/Pioneer square downtown.)

Try the Lucia, Marriott (there are two downtown) , the De Lux just remodeled and might have some deals. I like to use CitySearch.com. Here is a link to a search for hotels near downtown.

http://portland.citysearch.com/search?sear...tion=&started=1

that's my 2 cents, have a good trip.
grantsfo
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Jun 25 2006, 06:33 PM) *

I would reccomend anything in the heart of downtown - look for SW or NW prefix to the address. The city is very walkable from many hotels in the center of the city and the streeets should be plenty lively in late July. There are several neighborhoods to visit for eating and shopping right in the center of town (NW 23rd & 21st, the Pearl District, SW Broadway/Pioneer square downtown.)

Try the Lucia, Marriott (there are two downtown) , the De Lux just remodeled and might have some deals. I like to use CitySearch.com. Here is a link to a search for hotels near downtown.

http://portland.citysearch.com/search?sear...tion=&started=1

that's my 2 cents, have a good trip.

I agree stay in downtown or NW side of Portland. Its a walking city.
Bigbohr
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Jun 25 2006, 05:33 PM) *

I would reccomend anything in the heart of downtown - look for SW or NW prefix to the address. The city is very walkable from many hotels in the center of the city and the streeets should be plenty lively in late July.

Thanks all. I'll be looking for something in these areas then.
I'm looking forward to this trip. We're also planning to do a tour by car to the south, follow 101 and get back through the Cascades. I'm sure the roads and scenery will be plenty more interesting than around Houston happy11.gif
Porsche Rescue
I also suggest downtown, and I would look at the De Lux first. You can walk or catch light rail and the streetcar from there.

If you are skipping California on your trip south and east, go west from Portland to 101, drive the entire coast to the border, see the redwoods and take 199 back to Grants Pass, then cross the Cascades to see Crater Lake Nat'l Park, then southeast or east back home. You'll find great scenery and driver's roads.

Maybe I misunderstood: If you are not driving cross country, leave Crater Lake and go north on 97/26 to Mt. Hood, see Timberline, then backtrack a bit to 35 through the Hood River Valley, then west on 84 to Multnomah Falls and old highway to Crown Point, then to Portland. You will have seen most of what Oregon has to offer. The far east is special too, but more like Texas than Oregon.
double-a
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 26 2006, 06:33 AM) *

If you are skipping California on your trip south and east, go west from Portland to 101, drive the entire coast to the border, see the redwoods and take 199 back to Grants Pass, then cross the Cascades to see Crater Lake Nat'l Park, then southeast or east back home. You'll find great scenery and driver's roads.

good advice, great roads and scenery!

~a
Bigbohr
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 26 2006, 05:33 AM) *

Maybe I misunderstood:

Not sure whether we'll make it to the border but that's basically what we were planning on doing. In the mean time got my hotel squared away in downtown Portland. Now I just have to wait four weeks before going ...

BTW, can you easily drive back from Crater Lake to Portland in one day following the scenic byways or is that pushing it? Seems a bit far ...
boxstr
Portland to Crater Lake and back in one day is a real push. Take your time, no hurry.
craig
Porsche Rescue
Leave Crater Lake at North end, 138 east to 97 north to 26 west. 200 miles/4 hours to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, another hour to Portland.
Bigbohr
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 26 2006, 07:32 AM) *

Leave Crater Lake at North end, 138 east to 97 north to 26 west. 200 miles/4 hours to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, another hour to Portland.

That sounds like a good way to go. Thank you all for the tips ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.