Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Things have happened to me recently that have caused me huge financial distress and I'm forced to move out of my shop space. Things have been very tight for me since the beginning, but I always had faith that if I stuck it out things would work out. I know it was possible. But recent events have taxed my resources and I have to make a change. I don't know what this means for the future right now. I love what I do and I don't want to give it up. I'll be finishing up the projects I have, working out of my garage. And at that point I'll decide how to proceed from there. This will not affect engine builds at all, but I will not be taking on new metalwork or full restoration customers at this time. Hopefully I'll be back once I'm out of my hole. I feel sick. barf.gif
Dr. Roger
your a good guy so i know it will work out into something even better for you.

life is change and change is good. have faith that it is for the best.

if you need a truck or anything just give me a buzz. i just can't do heavy lifting but i can do everything else. =-)

cheers,
roger
davep
Sorry to hear that. It seems to happen to most of us from time to time. Hope you pull out of this quickly.
914werke
blink.gif
Good luck Mark, does that mean that you wont be making the trek to Portland?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have been there ,done that. Just be true to your ideas.ideals,and standards!!!!
Do what is nessary now, things tend to changes. When one door closes another opens! Good luck Dave slap.gif
Leo Imperial
Sorry to hear this Mark. Don't let it keep you down. It is only a location and this means the next one will be better. You have a great reputation and your work speaks for it's self. I still have my truck sitting in Richmond if it would help.
plas76targa
Mark,

Ditto all the above. Keep doing what you enjoy. There are many folks who don't pursue that. If you need anything - ASK!
Jeroen
man that sucks big time!
Mark Henry
Sorry to hear this Mark

This is a real PITA biz for sure, chin up, things will turn around.

DNHunt
Mark

Hang in there man. Other opportunities will come alomg. You are a bright guy and things will work out.

Hope to see you in Portland. I'll buy you a beer.

Dave
echocanyons
That is bad news it is rare to find someone who does this kiind of work and you do an outstanding job. Personally I think you could of easily doubled your rate, I know I would have paid it.

I hope things work out for you.
Dr Evil
The only constant is change. Keep fighting and you will get what you deserve.

At least you wont have to weather another rainy season there....maybe your next shop will be above the flood level.
Allan
It was trying to get that '76 car smogged right?

Hang in there. Ya always have us.... blink.gif
Trekkor
Let me know if you need any help moving parts/tools/cars from either garage.

Thanks for your help in the past.
I enjoyed wrenching with you.

KT
jonwatts

IPB Image

Sorry I don't have more to offer than a sympathetic ear and a smart-assed remark.

Flat VW
Mark,

The thing that impresses me about you, is, how kind and patient your responses are to questions that have been asked a million times before.

I also find your postings here to have a clear, positive tone.

I believe any setback you are encountering will be temporary because kindness, patience and a positive attitude are strong attributes in any endeavor.

Despite leaving your shop space, you will have these things with you wherever you may go.

John wavey.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2006, 12:18 AM) *

But recent events have taxed my resources and I have to make a change.

yeah, i was there for that "recent event". i hope the guy is really, really proud of himself. bs.gif finger.gif sheeplove.gif

what a royal pain in the ass ...

hey mark, let's talk offline, i might have some ideas ...
idea.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Chin up. smilie_pokal.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"....Winston Churchill. Hang in there....."The tough times don't last but the tough people do"....my daughter. Sorry for you're misfortune. Take care.
GWN7
That sucks. things will get better
horizontally-opposed
Dude, VERY sorry to hear this. sad.gif

And I haven't even gotten to visit yet!!!!! bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif

Keep your head up, you'll get back on your feet.

pete
Aaron Cox
mark,

i am reaaally sorry to hear about this.

what you need? you got it from me.
AA
fiid
That totally sucks. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Fiid.
WRX914
Mark,

I don't have the pleasure of meeting you, and from what I have read, you must be one-helluva guy. Similar things have happened to me in the recent past... things WILL turn around for the better. I would bet that your next venture knocks the socks off of the first...

Best of Luck to ya

Keith
morph
aww man im sorry to hear this mark.dont give up on doing what you like to do in life,and what mike said is soo true. the only constant is change.roll with it,and do what you gotta do.i was hoping some day to stop by the shop on one of my road trips into california.hopefully i still can in the future . keep tring mark.
james
Dave_Darling
I know it's not much, but at any of our 914 breakfasts or lunches, your burgers (or breakfast) are on me.

--DD
GTeener
Mark,

Sorry to learn of your misfortune stromberg.gif

You're a good guy and you care about what you do and who you do it for. The order of things will set you right as long as you stay true to your ideals.

Hang in there man! This too shall pass....

McMark
Thanks for the support everyone. This situation has been brewing to awhile and I've been searching extensively for some smaller shop space to cut my overhead. But Napa and the surrounding areas doesn't seem to have anything but 2500+ sq ft and I only need 1500. I'll still be searching for this elusive prize shop space while at home, but since this recent event I can't afford to hold out hope any longer. It's time to take action before the whole business gets sucked out of existance.
mightyohm
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Seriously, let me know if you need any help.

Jeff
MartyYeoman
Mark,
You are too talented and too great a resource to just evaporate.
You are needed.
What can we do to help?
Mueller
if you need help moving let me know (gone this weekend)...sorry to hear that things went from bad to worse...let me know if I can help out.....
ppickerell
Mark,
I assume that it is not lack of work that is the problem? Because if it was, I can throw some work your way! You should move down closer to your customer base if you are forced to move. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Dr. Roger
forgot to ask....

you need 1500 sq ft.
how much U wanna' pay???
i assume you need 220V but any other requirements?
echocanyons
I assume that it is not lack of work that is the problem? Because if it was, I can throw some work your way!

agree.gif me too.
McMark
Patrick, it's not lack of work, although I might have to kick two deadbeat projects to the curb, which would open things up.

Kelly, I didn't forget about you. wink.gif

Roger, I'm looking for 1500 sq ft at around $1 per square foot (or less of course).

I'm possibly working out something with Brandon to reduce the space I occupy and therefore the price I'm paying. This might make it possible for me to stay in the shop space.
Pat Garvey
Don't be down friend. If you're as good as the rest of these guys say you are, the cream will rise to the top. Wish we weren't 2500 miles apart - the only help I can offer is a slap on the back. Lots of us have been through the down periods, and I know this doesn't help a bit, but...things WILL improve!

Look at the following you have here! Think these people will forget - NO WAY!

Just don't let it blind you from your future. Try to shake it off & go on to the next level. You'll do well!

Good fortune.......it'll come!

nocones
Mark,

I have not had the pleasure of meeting you face-to-face yet, but have always enjoyed your contributions to the community. Also was hoping to enlist your services soon...

I'm just over the hill in Santa Rosa and will offer my assistance in any possible way. I have a truck if needed and an able body. Really.

I hope the situation is resolved quickly and with out major casualties.

Michael

jsharp.gif
nebreitling
ouch, mark. i'm sorry to hear about this setback. given your attitude and talent, i'm sure you'll make it in the long-run, but i'm sad to see such difficulty. i've got some time off this summer. please let me know if i can help move anything. weekdays are often quite free these days.

pm sent.
Grimstead
Sorry to hear about this Mark. sad.gif

I had heard there were problems but I didn’t know this was official (Teach me to leave town for a few days). confused24.gif

I hope this works out for you (and not just because you’re building my new engine).

Bill
beer.gif
McMark
Thank Bill, I've had a ton of support (smiley_notworthy.gif) and I'm working on a few options right now that might let me stay in shop space and not have to work at home. I'll know on Wed or Thurs. I couldn't have even hoped to turn things around without the support of my friends. They literally saved my business. wub.gif Every project I have the privilege to work on will be because of them. I can't express enough gratitude.
Joseph Mills
Sorry to hear about this bad news. It will work out in the future. Your attitude and talent will serve you well on down the line when the space is long forgotten.

Hang in there! beerchug.gif

Jeroen
Mark, good to hear some upbeat tunes
Keep us posted...
drewvw

keep plugging mark....everything will work out in the end.

beer3.gif
dagdal1967
Mark,

Explore every possible option (even the ones that seem impossible) and let people you're talking to know about your situation.

I suffered something similar a few years back and when I finally decided to explore every possibility, one of the ones I never thought would happen actually fell in to my lap.

Chin up man! You got good Karma (at least on this board) and good friends behind you!

Anything I can do... let me know.

Doug
jgara962
Mark,

Just seeing this thread for the first time. Sorry to hear about the change. Hang in there! It is great to have such a resource of 914 knowledge in Napa, and such a craftsman to help us all make our 914's a little better.

Everyone at the non-club is here for you.
neo914-6
Mark,

It's typical for business' to have highs and lows. I'm sure you will get through this "bump in the road".

I like Patrick's suggestion in moving closer to "customer base" unless you are able to get more of those Napa wine makers to restore or custom build their cars. biggrin.gif

blabla914
Aren't you assembling some of Raby's kits? Anybody that he'll let assemble motors must be OK. Hope you find something that works for you.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.