Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I adjust my KYB shocks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
I have a set of KYB shocks on the back of my 914 which by the name on them (Gas-A-Just) would suggest that the damping rate is adjustable. However I can not see HOW to adjust them? I can't see any adjustment screw. I've searched on here and KYB's website with no luck....any ideas??

Cheers

Moggy
pfierb
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 26 2006, 06:10 AM) *

I have a set of KYB shocks on the back of my 914 which by the name on them (Gas-A-Just) would suggest that the damping rate is adjustable. However I can not see HOW to adjust them? I can't see any adjustment screw. I've searched on here and KYB's website with no luck....any ideas??

Cheers

Moggy

Not trying to be a wise guy but.... the best adjustment you can make with KYBs is to throw them away....I have a set on my 73 and they are the worst.....stiff as a board....can't wait to get rid of them.
markb
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jun 26 2006, 03:39 AM) *

QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 26 2006, 06:10 AM) *

Cheers

Moggy

Not trying to be a wise guy but.... the best adjustment you can make with KYBs is to throw them away....I have a set on my 73 and they are the worst.....stiff as a board....can't wait to get rid of them.

agree.gif I got rid of the ones on the back of the black 71, and put on Bilsteins. Huge difference.
Bleyseng
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Phoenix-MN
To answer your question -

Gas Adjust is just a name, they are not adjustable. sad.gif
majkos
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 26 2006, 04:53 AM) *

To answer your question -

Gas Adjust is just a name, they are not adjustable. sad.gif

The BEST way to adjust them,is to take 'em off the car,
look at springs,remove if still want to re-use 'em again,
look over it carefully,because that's last time you're going to look at them.

THEY'RE JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! barf.gif
even an old set of Koni's are way more superior then KYG's

I almost wrecked my belove 914 because of them!
I still use the shock/springs to roll the tubs around the shop,
doesn't matter if they get cut,welded,painted on. biggrin.gif
moggy
Thanks for your help guys. Guess I'll save up for some Bilsteins.
Dr Evil
welcome.png I have KYBs....because I am poor.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 26 2006, 01:48 PM) *

welcome.png I have KYBs....because I am poor.

Me too, but just because they came on the car. I'll probably replace them later on in the fall. driving.gif
Dr Evil
Well, they came on A car...not mine, but free biggrin.gif
1bad914
Hi, my name is Randy and I am a KYB user! They were on the car when I got it, I have a full set of Koni's , but they are old and worn!
Joe Bob
They make gud anchors....
majkos
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Jun 26 2006, 03:06 PM) *

Hi, my name is Randy and I am a KYB user! They were on the car when I got it, I have a full set of Koni's , but they are old and worn!

Thoses old and worn Koni's are still better than them KYG's! stromberg.gif
Andyrew
Save your money. Koni's or bilsteins are the best.

While your buying, get new springs. 140 rate.
and a front sway bar, adjustable if possible
and turbo tie rods.

Bada bing! You should be good to go.
Sammy
I bought a 914 that came with Kill-Yer-Backs.
Harsh didn't begin to cover it.
I put in a set of used konis and the ride was smooth as glass in comparison, and the car handled better and more predictably with the konis.
In my opinion, you would be better off with no shocks at all than KYBs (just kidding to make a point, please don't drive with no shocks and kill yerself and sue me for this post).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.