Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all Engine/Tranny Gurus/Diagnosticians
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Took out the rust bucket for a big toot yesterday.

The furthest and fastest drive I have done since I got it 3 years ago (70 miles at 85mph).

After parking it I notice it was leaking ALOT more oil than ever. After opening the engine bay (and removing the air filter housing), I saw a pool of oil in the drivers side rear, corner of the warm airguide/engine tin.

The only source I could see is the "port hole" where the transmission cover meets the engine. The oil seems like it was spurting out towards the drivers side because there is nothing on the passenger side.

Presently I am at the lowest allowable level of engine oil according to the dipstick.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Could it be transmission fluid?

Ahhhhhhhhhh 914 ownership fun.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!

pray.gif
Bleyseng
Run out and drag your finger thru the oil.....an report back!

If it smells like rotten eggs its tranny fluid, if not its engine oil.

If engine oil its probably from either a leaking head vent tube or a leaking valve cover gasket. idea.gif
aveale
Excellent,

I know it does not smell like rotten eggs.

Will the leaking head vent tube spurt oil when driven really hard?

I don't think it is the valve cover gasket because it aint coming from there, through the engine tin into the engine compartment (I could be way wrong though).

I am trying to understand the mechanics of this leak.

T

PS I love the Brazilian click you have.....
Bleyseng
If its stock you still have the vent tubes off the heads. As the hosees age they get rock hard and crack from the heat. Some fall off or just leak as there is blow by pressure inside the heads/engine. If the PCV valve isn't working alll that well it increases the air pressure with the leaking hoses blasts oil out of the head vent tubes.

The fix is too cut the old hose back an 1" and reattach it and adding a clamp on it

Do this to both sides.

Also, check and clean you PCV valve on the oil breather. You can still get a new one from Porsche for about $10.

Still check the valve cover gaskets as those leak pretty easy.
aveale
Stuff to certainly check out.

I will report back when I get a look.

T

aveale
any other ideas???

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.