Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am New to the 914 Family
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkslvr
I just bought a 1975 914, in about 90% restored condition... I am going to do some work on it. I want it to be almost a race car, but still drivable on the street... and still reliable... to an extent. I want to squeeze the most power out of my 2.0 4cyl... I know people will say convert it to a 6cyl... but I do not want to... I don't know why... What would you suggest I do to get max power out of my 914. I attached a pic of my 914 too
dinomium
Good looking car, and welcome. Does the car still have FI or is it Carbed? That will be the first debate.
Next is how deep is your wallet and need for speed? For a 5k you can get a true 125 hp motor from McMark and have a serious machine! Then comes upgraded carbs or aftermarket Fuel Injection
Or, you can keep the powerplant the same a start throwing money at the the suspension...

Browse around... the only limt is your bank account!
Bleyseng
Depends on your defination of power.

A 75 2.0l has 88hp at the most due to weak Heat Exchanger design. Replace with 73-74 SS heat exchangers, adjust the valves and a good tune up and get 7hp. hmmm, that feels better!

More hp, ok ya can dump the Heat Exchangers and get a CFR header and get 15hp. Wow, that rocks!

Now for more you have to do something to the inside of the motor: 2056cc motor
Cam change
96mm P&C's
HD Valve springs
Trick head rebuild
This is for about 115hp so now that really rocks!

More! Ok, a Raby 2270cc engine kit and get around 150-170hp.

Now we are talking!!! WooHoo!! But this is serious money in the 7-10k realm with all the work required.

So its back to how deep are your pockets?

A 2056cc properly built at 115-125hp really launches these cars and with another $5000 in suspension upgrades corners like a $100k Porsche.

drooley.gif

I have got a 2056cc motor that rocks and the suspension upgrades so AX/track days are fun but on the street its a stiff MoFo for a long drive.
rhodyguy
is your 75' smog exempt in co? backdate the heating system (that is if you like warmth on cool mornings and evenings). if the car runs good and your suspension is stockish and old, i'd put the money there first. throwing the money at hp is going to set you back more than the $5k mentioned, for a complete and running engine.

k
jkslvr
ok, the car has been converted to Carbs... And I am a Gear head so I will do all the install myself. I thought about building up the engine and somehow putting a turbo or supercharger on it. Is that even concevable?
jkslvr
And My car is emissions exempt in CO.
WRX914
" I am New to the 914 Family, I Want Power from my 914"

Now there's a first!

w00t.gif

Sorry the smart-ass coments are abundent this morning!

TROJANMAN
QUOTE(jkslvr @ Jun 26 2006, 09:05 AM) *

And My car is emissions exempt in CO.

are you sure about that? i think you still need to get it to pass at least once. idea.gif

welcome.png

click the colorado link in my sig to check out our local group too. smile.gif
Bleyseng
"You can't turbo a 914"

haha, I said it.

Yep you can turbo it but use modern EFI. Head sealing is a problem with high boost on 94mm cylinders but Jake is offering a turbo kit for this complete.

You can be the first to install one.
turboman808
Then throw in a WRX motor. biggrin.gif

If you are dead set on using the original motor then switch to 4 valve heads. I'd be willing to bet a 2.0 built by a awesome builder with 4 valve heads would be just as powerful as a 2.7 6.
majkos
agree.gif welcome.png Colorado ROCKS! aktion035.gif
TINCAN914
Planing on a little get together this Saturday,live in the Springs, hopefully there will be a few guys showing up. Greg (TROJANMAN) wont, he's going away for the weekend, camping my ass.... biggrin.gif If your interested PM or e-mail me...
jhadler
Welcome to the non-club. The colorado folks are pretty good. Lot's of help to be had.

welcome.png

As for the car? Speed is just a matter of money, how fast can you afford to go?....

If you want to stay with the Type IV motor in there, then there will be a point of diminishing returns cast/hp wise... A little more power is fairly straight forward, and not rediculously expensive. A lot more power on the other hand _is_ expensive, especially if you want to do it right and not just build a grenade motor.

Browse around the forum for a little while, there are a HOST of ways to achieve greater acceleration in a 914. Some are mild, some are wild. Most are expensive, or time consuming, or both.

-Josh2
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 26 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Welcome to the non-club. The colorado folks are pretty good. Lot's of help to be had.

-Josh2

Yeah, but watch out for that scuzzy brake rebuilder in nearby Utah... w00t.gif

pete

Oh, and welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
jkslvr
One more question for now... Can anyone tell me what kind of wheels I have... I have not seen these gold wheels anywhere else.
TROJANMAN
painted mahles
jkslvr
I have another question. Has anyone had a problem with the clutch pully (I guess the one that goes into the uni-body) not well secured? I was told that my car was ok in all aspects except that the pully is loose or there is rust where it is attached. Is this a big problem? once this is fixed and the oil is changed I sould be ready to roll, except of some modifications down the road.
GeorgeRud
The clutch tube can come loose in the center tunnel or pull away (rust) by the firewall. You should be able to find threads in the forum by searching for clutch tube failure.

Ditto on the engine, unless you want to spend much money and are actually racing the car, leave it alone or convert to another engine. The six conversion is fun but expensive, the Subaru one seems to be the best low cost solution now.
Mueller
Welcome....now that I got that out of the way.....

It's not a HONDA smile.gif

Sorry to say, no easy or cheap mods to increase power...everything will cost one way or another...currently no professional turbo kits, the one that is supposed to come out will be $5,000 and that is not including the engine...no supercharger kits, so you got to build it yourself....

the four banger motor has potential, but it'll cost money....a few grand at a minimum if you got connections and can do a lot of work yourself. The limitations of the Type IV is the cam, they really wake up with a new stroke as well.

for your clutch cable, there is a tube that is inside the centertunnel, they get loose near the shifter and must be re-welded (do a search for clutch tube repair), they also fail at the bulkhead.

The pulley could be loose, that is easy to check, crawl under the car and look at it. It's an easy fix...new pulley or new bushing.

I'd recommend fine tuning the suspension 1st, find out what kind of shocks you have, the spring rates you have, the condition of the suspension bushings, swaybars or not...

Root_Werks
boldblue.gif Nice car! I like the color accents.
jdzb914
smile.gif [font=Arial Black][size=2][size=1] smile.gif
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 26 2006, 09:27 AM) *

"You can't turbo a 914"

haha, I said it.

Yep you can turbo it but use modern EFI. Head sealing is a problem with high boost on 94mm cylinders but Jake is offering a turbo kit for this complete.

Hi there, just wanted to share info about the turbo...answer is
Yes, you can..it's been done..check out Excellence magazine long past issue June 2002. Quite a set and good looking car
brant
Welcome from another colorado guy.
hook up with our colorado local group!

also, as mentioned above. there is a gathering this morning with our gracious host providing coffe and donuts! you should come!

Gustl
welcome.png - from far far away biggrin.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
shelby/914
welcome.png You missed a great session & breakfast burritos at Eurosport this morning with Greg's 914 race car on the lift to see everything he has done to the suspension and then the top side. We also have a local group on Yahoo groups with a little over 100 members. FYI your car is not emissions exempt if its registered in the front range. It has to pass one time as long as you own it. If the seller gave you an emission cert, which he is required to do, then your good to go. Again welcome to the madness.
anthony
Can you build your own engine? That is the only inexpensive way to get power out of a type IV. And inexpensive is relative because it still costs $$$.

Your engine could be made into a fresh 2056cc engine for around $2000-2500. That would give you a 40-50hp boost. The next level is a 2270 or 2316ccs. Figure on $5000-7000 depending on how resourceful you are and how many options you tack on. Add another $2000-5000 if someone else does all the work and sorts it all out for you.

G e o r g e
welcome.png

hijacked.gif
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 26 2006, 09:27 AM) *

Jake is offering a turbo kit for this complete.

Mueller Posted Jun 26 2006, 11:44 AM
the one that is supposed to come out will be $5,000 and that is not including the engine...

I thought Jake said this was dead.......when did he change his mind?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.