Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 guys, Harmonic Balancer spacer..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cobra94563
As I installed the balancer/pulley, it will passes the point where it needs to align with the alternator and water pump pulley's, so...

Can I just press it on to that point or do I need a spacer (I saw some mention of it)? how thick is it?
Renegade the source?

Thanks.

smash.gif
tyler
I went thru alot with this same issue. They say you're suppose to have the spacer and it's supplied by Renegade, What reall counts is that the hub of balancer is far enough in to seat on the oil seal properly. You have to do this by measurement. I think I have an extra spacer so I can check the width and even send it to you if yo need it.

QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jun 26 2006, 09:37 AM) *

As I installed the balancer/pulley, it will passes the point where it needs to align with the alternator and water pump pulley's, so...

Can I just press it on to that point or do I need a spacer (I saw some mention of it)? how thick is it?
Renegade the source?

Thanks.

smash.gif

Brad Roberts
Um.. the harmonic balancer should be the constant and the accessories should be the variables.

You will be in a world of hurt if you cannot properly torque the balancer bolt down. And if you dont have the spacer behind the balancer.. you wont be able to torque everything down.

You are playing with fire. Use the proper spacer and balancer.

B
cobra94563
Tyler,

Thanks!
The oil seal, I assume, is near the outside edge of the cover?

If I install the HB to 1/8 to 3/16th inch clear to the cover, it seems to make contact with the seal pretty good. But it probably is 1/4 more before it bottoms out against the crank(?).

Seems like I need the spacer but wanted to check if anyone left it out.
I thought with a washer under the bolt, I could get the proper torque.
It doesn't seem like it'll "walk" IN on the shaft.

Brad Roberts
I'm gathering you have never seen a harmonic balancer come off a car or come apart?

You will have NOTHING but issues with belt alignment if you dont run that spacer behind the balancer.

If you pull the washer out.. the bolt will bottom out in the crank and give you a false reading.

Why? Buy the $10 part or have someone make one for you.

It is something like .250 (1/4 inch) worth of spacer needed.

The seal will be the last of your concerns.

cobra94563
Brad,

I appreciate your advice. I'll get the spacer.
Saved me again, from making a mistake... clap56.gif

(Not trying to shortcut whatever is needed, I just don't have any instructions or any parts list/diagram.)

driving.gif ..soon.

Brad Roberts
My posts come off as somewhat shitty.. I dont mean them to sound that way. I'm usually in a hurry and doing 5 things at once.

I'll help any way I can. I have been down so many 914 paths it would make your head spin. Every time I *think* I have seen it all.. someone shows me something different!

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.