Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Driving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
On a family vacation driving through CA and came up the PCH yesterday coming into SF. There was a report of a "slip out" whatever that is and rocks that fell and the PCH was closed N. of Santa Cruz and we were detoured on a road that eventually hit I-280 - (Route 85 maybe?) this had to be one of the best driving roads I was ever on!! I wished so bad that I had the 911 with the top down instead of the Pacifica family mobile! With the clouds moving in it was a bit treacherous and eerie but how cool! This is one of those trip that either my 911 or 914 would be welcome! I've been thinking how I could get my car out here for a vacation without having to drive it here? I swaer I've seen more Porsche's in a couple days than I see all Summer in Ohio, but a bit surprised I have not seen any 914's? I did see two Carrera GT's in Orange County that sounded like F1 cars! Great trip!
grantsfo
Thats a nice section of the trip. I live about 10 miles north of Santa Cruz. Hwy 84 is fairly nice for 914's however many backroads in that area are even better! Glad you had fun.
bosurf
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Jun 26 2006, 10:44 AM) *

On a family vacation driving through CA and came up the PCH yesterday coming into SF. There was a report of a "slip out" whatever that is and rocks that fell and the PCH was closed N. of Santa Cruz and we were detoured on a road that eventually hit I-280 - (Route 85 maybe?) this had to be one of the best driving roads I was ever on!! I wished so bad that I had the 911 with the top down instead of the Pacifica family mobile! With the clouds moving in it was a bit treacherous and eerie but how cool! This is one of those trip that either my 911 or 914 would be welcome! I've been thinking how I could get my car out here for a vacation without having to drive it here? I swaer I've seen more Porsche's in a couple days than I see all Summer in Ohio, but a bit surprised I have not seen any 914's? I did see two Carrera GT's in Orange County that sounded like F1 cars! Great trip!

Sounds like your talking about Highway 17. Goes over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose. Actually had my first experience in a 914 going over that hill. Fun road but watchout for other drivers, nasty wrecks on that stretch. Dave
lapuwali
He's most likely talking about 84, actually, which runs from halfway up 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, crosses 35 at Alice's, then winds downhill through Woodside, and connects to 280. It's busier now that 92 (HMB to San Mateo) has become a complete parking lot thanks to the Devil's Slide closure, which is just a bit north of 92.

Hwy17 is a divided 4-lane highway that just has some twisty bits. Way too much traffic to really be all that fun.

As Grant states, there are lot good number of nice little roads in this area. Most of them have pretty bad pavement in spots. At the weekends, bicycles clutter many of them, so you have to be on your guard and drive way below your limits. The wider, well-paved roads are often full of motorcycles, and often attract too much police attention due to the alarming number of crashes from young guys who ride way over their heads.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.