Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967

I recently had a fair amount done to my engine including new seals, gasgets, etc and at the same time he painted the engine tin and the block.

I've noticed it running a bit hotter than it had been, and I just want to know what the average is ...

Mine is a 74 1.8 litre, and I know that it makes a difference.

But just for fun I thought I would throw up this little pole.

Doug
Allan
My gauge displays degrees so I can't really say...
spunone
Depends if my Garage door is opened or closed and how high my jackstands are set LOL
Joe Ricard
How hot?
310 Head temp @ 85 MPH outside temps 95
195 oil
too damn hot in the cabin.
SirAndy
between 180 and 200, unless i really push her on a 100 day (AX etc.), then i sometimes see 215 ...

stock 1.7L with stock D-Jet and SSI HEs ...
smile.gif Andy
MBowman325
On my trip back from LA, through AZ and NM, my temp gauge was at an indicated 3/4 more or less dead on the entire time. Didn't notice it much during my night driving though... Clay just told me yesterday that the center console gauges are susposed to light up. biggrin.gif
solex
Nice concidence. I just spoke with Rich B. at HPH to make sure that I bought the correct sender for my guage. I have a 75 2.0 and the needle barely moves above a quarter.

I have a 200 degree C sender
rjames
'75 2.0, and my center console gauge after driving for more then 30 minutes has been reading @ 3/4th the way. Was kind of wondering what that meant. A real temp gauge would be nice, should probably look into doing that.
solex
Robert,
If you look at the very top of your guage you can see indicators for the actual temperature.

This 75 is my first 914 and had no idea what the guage should read, I'm glad Doug ran this poll now I know I'm in the 50 percentile.

Dan
Andyrew
doesnt really go over 205... (in 100deg heat)

But thats water temps tongue.gif

I read about 60psi oil pressure though..... lol
So.Cal.914
Between 190 and 210 depending on how I drive it that day (of course).

Co bal 2.0 crank/ rods, 2.0 KS euro P & C's, cam (411 L 292 D), heads P&P'ed,

Webers.
bernbomb914
oil temp is fine but I have a westach 4 position cht guage and that can be scary. beleve me what you dont know will let you sleep at night.

Bernie
2pointOH
I have a 76 2.0 liter (as all 76 owners do) and it hovers at 3/4. I find when it's up at this temp I go into a pre-stall when stopped in traffic. Is this normal? I would think not. It's one of the reason's I got rid of my 59 AH Sprite.

Any thoughts or help here??
dagdal1967
Ok... According to the poll results thus far, I'm running hotter than 80+% of people

Can anyone give a list of the top 10 reasons that fairly stock engines would be running hot?

SGB
1. Something (rag or paper towel shred or ???) in the impelller. Feel around carefully. I've missed a pretty big chunk of shop rag before and went nuts until I felt around up there again.
2. Timing too high
3. Mixture too lean
4. Missing or loose cooling tin
5. Low octaine gas
dagdal1967
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 28 2006, 11:07 AM) *

1. Something (rag or paper towel shred or ???) in the impelller. Feel around carefully. I've missed a pretty big chunk of shop rag before and went nuts until I felt around up there again.

You're the second person that has mentioned that.. I'll have to check more thoroughly!

I'll get to the others as well, but that is a great first place!

Doug
Rand
If the point gap is tight the oil temp will run high.

If you're not certain about point gap, dwell, and timing, set them in that order. That's a baseline you need anyway.
Rand
BTW, if you don't have a head temp gauge, I would highly recommend that as $62 very well spent.
Look for VDO part # 2338
Joseph Mills
My new engine runs very cool. I have a complete external oil cooler setup I have yet to install.

Yesterday it was 95 degrees and my oil temp was 195, CHT was 275, and EGT was 1200 degrees.

It never overheats in traffic or at the AX and only climbs a bit at speed on the highway.

Only took me two years to get to this point. biggrin.gif

rjames
Robert,
If you look at the very top of your guage you can see indicators for the actual temperature

On the center console? There is? Do I need glasses? Am I missing something?

Toast
Mine usually doesn't rise above 1/4 unless I heading up the hill, or am on a long, steady grade, or have driven over 6 hours steady. Then it sits right at the white/red line. blink.gif
Rand
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 29 2006, 10:31 AM) *

Robert,
If you look at the very top of your guage you can see indicators for the actual temperature

You aren't missing anything Robert. Your stock center console gauge has no marks or numbers to indicate actual temp.
Toast
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 29 2006, 10:31 AM) *

Robert,

No glasses needed, just a telescope with at least 8000 magnification. lol2.gif
SGB
I voted "warm and breezy" but really temp is rock solid straight up unless I'm going downhill in 5th or cruising at 90 or over (actual speed) for over 20 minutes (I was blasting along with a GT-3- local PCA pres- until the needle passed midway, then I backed out because I figured the heads were pretty hot). I think if I dropped the timing a few degrees it would cool substanially, but of course I am living in ambient temps of 90 or more for most 914 driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.