Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheared exhaust bolt: Is this bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
I noticed that one of my exhaust bolts sheared off. Its the last one back on the passenger's side. It probably explains the rattling that I couldnt trace. Anyway, is this a serious problem? ANy clues to why this happened? Does this have anything to do with the oil leak in the picture?
Many thanks!
Konrad 72/4
Brad Roberts
Is it sheared off or did it just fall out.

Typically they dont shear off unless somebody is trying to break them loose.

B
Allan
It's bad because you'll have an exhaust leak. It can be repaired by either using an easy-out or drilled and heli-coiled.

It isn't what the oil leak is from...
TROJANMAN
gint just fixed one of these. i am sure he will tell us how much fun it was. smile.gif
krazykonrad
I definetly wasnt twisted out by me. It just fell out one day. It may have been sheared before or it may somehow have sheared while it was in and then the end fell out I dont know. ????????
Anyway here's a picture of the bolt.
THanks again!
Konrad
Mueller
there is no relationship between that and the oil...if left as is, you have a good chance of an exhaust leak that'll end up melting/burning the sealing surface and you'll be searching for a new cylinder head...
krazykonrad
Sorry wrong pic!
Mueller
that is broken...you are hosed blink.gif

you might get lucky and have enough of the stud sticking out to grab, but it'll be tough...if attempted to drill out a broken stud twice, 1st time worked well...second time I screwed the pooch and the motor had to be dropped so that I could remove the head...
Hammy
I never got this. wacko.gif
Can a stud just be JB welded back in and end of story?
ptravnic
I second trying an ez-out. Go slow and it will work. I did this a couple years ago. Took a couple hours and a lot of patience but got another bolt up and in there and have no leaks since!

-pt
nebreitling
yikes. how do you have it if it just fell out?

whatever you do, it's a major pita. get the car up high on jack stands, drop the exhaust (you'll probably strip/pull another couple studs in the process...), try an EZ out, reinstall new stud with some JB-Weld on the threads, rehang the exhaust with fresh copper gaskets and nuts. worst case scenario is having to pull that head.

please do wear safety goggles, as little bits of metal rust and oil coming into your eye can be a not-fun trip to the ER. drinking heavily does not make this job go more easily.
Mueller
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 26 2006, 07:17 PM) *

I never got this. wacko.gif
Can a stud just be JB welded back in and end of story?

I seriously doubt it would work in that application....I guess you could try and get back to us smile.gif

So.Cal.914
Same one broke on mine, I think it was stress fracture. EZ out will work just take

your time don't try to back it out to fast. . When you drill out

the stud use spray cutting oil and do, as mentioned before wear safty glasses

there will be rust, metal shavings, oil and various other UFO's (unidentified falling

objects). Any questions PM me.
krazykonrad
THanks for all the help! I think I'm going to let my local shop do the out drilling as I really dont want to f-up the head myself. More importantly I dont want to tell the Mrs. that I f-up up the head my self and I need to buy a new one.
Thanks again,
Konrad beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.