Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what axles to use with a 915?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, i'm going to buy a 915 that is already flipped for a 914 ...

now the question is, what to run for axles? i got's real 5-lug hubs etc. from what i believe is a early 911. they fit the 914 wheel bearing ...

smile.gif Andy
McMark
happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
It depends on what output flanges you have on the tranny (or if it has a fine spline or course spline LSD in it)

If it has a course spline LSD or course spline open diff.. you can use the 930 style early 911 complete axle assemblies with early 911 5 lug drive flanges out in the control arm.

B
echocanyons
The setup Brad mentioned is what I am using.

The only problem with it is the axels have recently become really hard to locate or really expensive when you can find them.

I picked up a set from Jason at paragon for the "old" pricing just a week or so ago.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:08 PM) *

It depends on what output flanges you have on the tranny (or if it has a fine spline or course spline LSD in it)

If it has a course spline LSD or course spline open diff.. you can use the 930 style early 911 complete axle assemblies with early 911 5 lug drive flanges out in the control arm.

wait, wouldn't those fit my 944 CV's and axles? because i had to get a set of late '70 911 output flanges for those to make them work with the 901 ...

is the 915 wider than the 901? meaning, does my distance from the trailingarm to the output flange change?

axles need to be longer/shorter/same ???
idea.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
901/915/930/G50 all have the same side to side distance between the flanges.

The early 911 axles are shorter than the 914 axles by .500 several people sell spacers for this.. but I have never ran them. The CV's have more then .750 in play. This means only .250 split between the two. You have seen them ran for several years now in a 914 with 355hp and 8K RPM (ha ha and person who doesnt really know how to "blip" throttle downshift).

If you are running early 911 drive flanges in the control arm... then the early 911 4 bolt 2 pin stub axles slide in right now. They just barely clear the control arm.

B
wbergtho
I am running early 911 half shafts & CVs. I had a set of custom spacers machined (I believe they are 1" wide). It was my impression that you have to run spacers when running a 915 or 930 gearbox in a 914. If indeed you don't need them, I spent a bunch of money for no reason on spacers. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought you needed them. All the better if you don't. You won't have as many problems with CV bolts loosening and CVs leaking grease w/out them. Incidently, I have since learned that if you want/need spacers...you can take apart a pair of old useless CVs and use the hub as a spacer. Randy Beck taught me that trick.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:55 PM) *

901/915/930/G50 all have the same side to side distance between the flanges.

The early 911 axles are shorter than the 914 axles by .500 several people sell spacers for this.. but I have never ran them. The CV's have more then .750 in play. This means only .250 split between the two. You have seen them ran for several years now in a 914 with 355hp and 8K RPM (ha ha and person who doesnt really know how to "blip" throttle downshift).

If you are running early 911 drive flanges in the control arm... then the early 911 4 bolt 2 pin stub axles slide in right now. They just barely clear the control arm.

ok, let me re-phrase my question ...

i already got, outside to tranny:

911 hub that fits the 914 wheel bearing, 944 stub axle that fits the hub, 944 CV, modified 914 axle to fit the 944 CVs, 944 CV, 911(915) output flange to fit the 901

all of this fit's perfectly using the 901, correct length (because i'm using the 914 axle shaft), bigger CV's (944) etc.

now my question is: if the 914 has the same overall width from output flange to output flange, my whole axle should just bolt right up to the 915, as my setup is supposed to use 915 output flanges anyways ...

correct ????
idea.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I only know of one company who tells everyone they need them (they happen to sell them)

People are scared of CV's. I'm not. Wait until you start seeing more pics of a Boxster engine and tranny. The axles have a HUGE angle on them and the CV's are close to the 911SC sizing.

The Bus axles are really short. They require a good sized spacer.

B
Brad Roberts
Correct a mundo.

IF..IF the 915 has course splined open or LSD.

Some of the 915's have a fine splined output flange. In this case you tranny ouput flanges would not work.

I wish I had a picture to show you.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jun 26 2006, 04:06 PM) *

indeed you don't need them, I spent a bunch of money for no reason on spacers.

no, you didn't waste any money. the 911 axles are shorter than the 914 axles. the car brad is talking about has about 1" of suspension travel and something like 500lbs springs ...

on a more stockish 914, the stock 911 axles will be too short if you load/unload the suspension ...
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 04:14 PM) *

Some of the 915's have a fine splined output flange. In this case you tranny ouput flanges would not work.

so, the difference between coarse and fine is not only on the inside of the tranny but also the boltpattern/size on the outside where the CV mounts?

meaning, the two setups use different CV sizes?
idea.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
True, it doesnt have the same suspension travel...but...

still a non-issue with the amount of angle still left in them

remember: these are the same size as a 930Turbo CV joint. The ones used in Baja 1000 Off road racing for 20+ years in cars with 30inches of suspension travel.

Stretching one versus angle is a little different
Brad Roberts
Correct.

The ideal situation for you: course splined diff so your 914 output flanges would slide right in.

If the diff is fine splined... your options are VERY limited. You would be limited to the 911SC output flange.

I honestly beleive there are more course splined diffs out there than fine splined.

When you order a Guard ZF style clutch plate LSD: he asks you: course or fine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 04:21 PM) *

The ideal situation for you: course splined diff so your 914 output flanges would slide right in.

ok, just to be clear on this, my 944 setup uses 911 output flanges, *not* 914 output flanges ...
i have a set of coarse spline 911 output flanges that i was going to drop into the 901 ...

just to be clear biggrin.gif the only 914 part in my axle assembly is the actual axle shaft, everything else is either 911 or 944. including the output flanges. which are from a 911, not a 914.

no LSD in the box, that would have been too good of a deal ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
That is ok on the 911 tranny flanges.

If they slide into the 901.. they will slide into the 915 with course spline.

FYI: a 901 LSD can be used in a 915. A 915 LSD can be used in a 930 box.

A G50 LSD can be used in a 996/997 tranny or a BoxsterS box.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 04:42 PM) *

good, now that we got that out of the way, one last question ...

don't most 915s use the 100mm size CVs ???

if so, it doesn't matter if it's coarse or fine spline as long as the output flange fit's my 100mm 944 CVs ...

correct?
idea.gif Andy

PS: to refresh your memory ...

Rear 5-Lug with 944 Parts, PART II
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...170&hl=944+axle

Rear 5-Lug with 944 Parts, PART III
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...218&hl=944+axle
JFJ914
[good, now that we got that out of the way, one last question ...

don't most 915s use the 100mm size CVs ??? Yes

if so, it doesn't matter if it's coarse or fine spline as long as the output flange fit's my 100mm 944 CVs ... Yes

correct?
idea.gif Andy
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 04:42 PM) *

FYI: a 901 LSD can be used in a 915. A 915 LSD can be used in a 930 box.

A G50 LSD can be used in a 996/997 tranny or a BoxsterS box.

B

One thing that should be noted.......The 915 non LSD carrier has a different bore size than than a 901 where it slides in the carrier but the splines look identical. The flanges slide right in a 915 and first impression is OK and they feel OK until you measure them. They look and feel like they will work but it won't. The bore size is significantly different. I do not know about the 944's. If you need the measurement, I can provide them

I am using 108mm output flanges from a 69 911S (901) that fit perfect on both ends of the rear drive. Also using Sway-A-Way axles. The weak point will be the tranny
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 27 2006, 07:47 PM) *

I am using 108mm output flanges from a 69 911S (901) that fit perfect on both ends of the rear drive. Also using Sway-A-Way axles. The weak point will be the tranny

hey paul, how is your car coming? bye1.gif

i'm hoping i can use whatever is on the 915 right now. as long as the current output flanges are for 100mm CV's, i'm all set ...

we shall see when i take posession of the tranny ...
smile.gif Andy
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 27 2006, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 27 2006, 07:47 PM) *

hey paul, how is your car coming? bye1.gif

i'm hoping i can use whatever is on the 915 right now. as long as the current output flanges are for 100mm CV's, i'm all set ...

we shall see when i take posession of the tranny ...
smile.gif Andy

Ok, here is a picture with some data. The 914\901 and the 911\915 have the same diameters. The early(69) 911\901 with 108mm flanges have a different diameter. The diameter change happened in mid 69 from what I understand so the 70's up should work. Note the measurements on the pic

Andy, the car is screaming along. I need to post a thread when I have time but now I have on site:

flares, rebuilt gages, headers, oil tank, oil fittings and some lines, axles, Konis and Ground Control goodies, Polybronze, Tarret bar, and the list goes on and on.....

I have the brakes and front end done and the car is due back from the media stripper next week
mueba.gif Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.