Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's that red light on the dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike McGrath
I am fairly sure I know, but I don't have the manual and couldn't find an answer online. When I'm at a stop light, the red light in the dash / instrument panel lights up. Goes away when I take off. This is the "low brake fluid" warning, isn't it? My other dumb question is . . . the fluid depository is up front, no?

TIA,

Mike (in Portland)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike McGrath @ Jun 26 2006, 02:50 PM) *

I am fairly sure I know, but I don't have the manual and couldn't find an answer online. When I'm at a stop light, the red light in the dash / instrument panel lights up. Goes away when I take off. This is the "low brake fluid" warning, isn't it? My other dumb question is . . . the fluid depository is up front, no?

BIG red light or small bulb size red light?

BIG red light is brake related, small red light is alternator related ...
smile.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
when the master cylinder senses a pressure loss/drop it turns red.

also when the E brake isn't fully retracted it turns on.

EDIT- or what Andy said.... LOL
TROJANMAN
Eject! Eject!

laugh.gif

j/k
if it's the same one that blinks when your Ebrake is up, it's brake related
If it has a "G" in it, it's your alternator
Yes, your brake fluid reservoir is in the front trunk.
Just be careful not to put brake fluid in the radiator cap. lol2.gif

sorry, i am on a sugar high right now. wacko.gif
T wing
Hey, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if it only happens when you stop and goes away when you take off that it is the little red light under the G and not the red light above the B. John Muir's How to keep your Aircooled vw alive book has some good info on it I think. Basically. when you turn your key on, the red and green (gererator/alternator and oil pressure) idiot lights should turn on. After you start your car, they should go off. If the red one's on, then your voltage is lower than it should be.

All my rambling's done for a bit.

Have fun with the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.