Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of CV joints...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
The V8 car went down last fall, came home on a flat bed. Son was driving it to work at the gentlemens club. It would shift into gear but no go. Noise at rear. I figured clutch, trany or CV joint.

Today I finally had time to get at it. After several problems with tool issues (note * don't give keys to garage to kids) I get it jacked up and then I have to go find the keys. Oh ya kid screwed up the ignition switch plastic part, go find a screw driver to start it. No key needed.

Car starts, warm up, shift into gear, let out the clutch......dam, magic fairys didn't fix it over the winter...........I get out and look underneath and axel on driver side is spinning away, but the wheel isn't turning. Can you say "Muller" pops into my head at this point.

So I go gather up the CV wrench tool and any other thing I might need to work under there.

I start undoing the inner CV bolts and 1/2 of them were loose. I look and the ones that were loose had no crush washers on them. Hmmm

I bend the axle down and out and the whole dam thing comes out in my hand. Outer CV with bolts and all.....

I look and not one of the outer CV bolts had a crush washer on it and they worked themselfs compleatly loose.

I slide over to the passenger side and check the bolts....everyone is snug and tight and they all have crush washers on them.

Car now has 2000 miles on it since the PO had the drivers side axel bearing replaced. I guess where it was done, if they dropped the washers they never bothered to replace them.

1)I always thought these were a one use item and every time you removed them they were to be replaced?

2) How much grease should I pack the CV's with and any preference to type?
McMark
More proof schnorr washers are the key. biggrin.gif Thanks for the hard lesson Bruce. I wouldn't say they're one use, but they do wear out rather quickly. They come new in a slightly conical shape which is part of how they hold on. After awhile that goes away and they would be less effective.
Dr Evil
Oh Bruce idea.gif biggrin.gif
swl
hey Bruce. Sounds like after you get the CV fixed your next project should be a child restraint system!
GWN7
Dr. Evil I almost drove down South when you were close by with a spare trans. I figured you'd rather wrench than fish. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

And I did think of your bolts and wires when the unit dropped down into my hand. biggrin.gif

swl The only problem with getting a child restraint is he's 6'1" 225 lbs...I still win in a fight...I fight dirty and if he wins, he gets to move smile.gif And best of all I have the wallet beerchug.gif

*Edit...how much grease?
swl
chairfall.gif I was thinking along the lines of handcufs but I guess you have to catch him first! I hear you on the wallet thing - the great equalizer.
Dr Evil
Ah man, that would have been awsome...ya friggen tease. I slept a lot while I was there. biggrin.gif

How much grease is kinda a quantitative thing. You want to saturate it but not put so much in that it poops out when it spins obviously. Use moly grease and you will be fine. There is specific CV grease at the FLAPS down here in the states...dont know about the backwards Canadian stored tongue.gif
GWN7
Well my grease choices are wallrus, bear, elk and beaver. First you have to catch one and then render the fat down.......Oh course I can get some of that store bought stuff down a Nanooks Used Auto parts, but I take pride in my grease rendering.

bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
av-943.gif You made me tear up ya punk av-943.gif
Dr Evil
Hey Bruce, your not just good looking your funny too biggrin.gif
GWN7
Dr. Evil....all I can say is if you think I'm good looking, you need to get out more. smile.gif
Dr Evil
What? Based on your avatar I would pet you. You look like a drooler, though.

Whose a good puppy? Whoose a good puppy?
GWN7
chairfall.gif

Well I do have that "hair" thing going for me that all the ladys find irresistible (also a 10" tounge helps) never had a complaint about drooling so far biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE(swl @ Jun 26 2006, 08:48 PM) *

hey Bruce. Sounds like after you get the CV fixed your next project should be a child restraint system!

LMAO!

smile.gif

M
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have my serrated washers on order from Pelican Parts (due this Thursday). But before they came I needed to get my car off jackstands and drive her to test the new tranny so I used toothed washers, the internal tooth style, as they best represent what the serrated ones look like and were the only option available at the store aside from the external toothed ones. I would say an overlapped tooth would be the best alternative. Go to the McMaster-Carr website and search on "star washer"...you'll see examples of what I'm talking about.

For grease I use pure synthetic for CV joints. Got it at NAPA. For cars in cold climates I recommend using pure synthetic greases and oils for everything! I recommend them for any car but cold-climate owners will notice the benefits more.
rhodyguy
loose bolts and a v-8? you got off cheap bruce. does this mean you're driving down? your son owes you a ignition switch. have him post a wtb. we would all love to sell your son a replacement. remind him that in all likelyhood, payment will be remitted in USD.

k
GWN7
Not too worried about winter driving with it. It would get hung up on the ruts. Car gets parked end of Oct, see it in the spring, but thanks for the synthetic tip.

I've booked my flight and car rental. Had a time cutoff date to decide. I could have driven the truck, but being at a club function without a 914, it dosen't matter what your driving. As to the switch, Craig drove that one up to me when I was visting Hood River last year (Thanks again Craig) I bought a new switch part when I was in Cali last month, along with a bunch of shifter bushings and other "wait two weeks" parts, now all I have to do is find the bag. The parts car has one too...

As to the kid...I told him this morning, you drive it you fix it, you don't fix it, don't even ask.....he has a long face ....sucks to be him I guess
GWN7
Update: their are no Schnorr washers in this city...at least at the 7 different places I tryed today. (Even the VW dealer is out) I took the ones off the parts car....

Had to pull the sub axel as two of the bolts broke off in it. At least they came out easy.

Kid comes home from work and says "where is the replacement handle?"

My answer "on the kitchen counter, you had to walk by it at least 4 times today, if it was any closer it would have bit you"

He fixed the door..... thumb3d.gif happy11.gif, but left the new handle gasket in the bag...... sad.gif

Tomorrow he get's to take a door apart again.... chair.gif
Dr Evil
I sell schnorr washers and have some in stock if you need happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.