Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 98dB and counting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
At the PCA AX last Sunday the venue had a "95dB" limit. Me and my buddy (who has an early 911 with a 3.2) took the award for loudest cars. We both rung the meter at 98dB. So yeah, I know that's pretty loud. I have earplugs for long drives. biggrin.gif

We didn't have to go home but I need to make a change before I return to that venue. I also see that there's another local venue with a 92dB limit. So I figure that I need to make a change if I'm going to run at these venues even occasionally.
sawzall-smiley.gif

What's the state of the art for quiet mufflers that don't strangle the engine and that aren't super frig'n heavy? I'm running a 3.2 with headers. I'd like to have a two out but it's not that big a deal to me... I would like to be well under 92dB so I don't have to think about it anymore. driving.gif

??
Kevin

DanT
there used to be a guy here in norcal that made "laguna" mufflers for many folks in GGR so they could meet the 92db limit at Laguna. someone else may chime in here with his name and whether or not he is still around making them...
And yes they do work. I know folks that have had them on everything from 2.0L sixes to 3.6L.

Are you running EFI or Carbs. On my 2.7L RS 914-6 my induction noise was as much or more of my problem than the exhaust. biggrin.gif I was running Weber 40IDAs that had been massaged by Jerry Woods. smile.gif With K&N air filters with water shields.
kdfoust
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 26 2006, 07:20 PM) *

there used to be a guy here in norcal that made "laguna" mufflers for many folks in GGR so they could meet the 92db limit at Laguna. someone else may chime in here with his name and whether or not he is still around making them...
And yes they do work. I know folks that have had them on everything from 2.0L sixes to 3.6L.

Are you running EFI or Carbs. On my 2.7L RS 914-6 my induction noise was as much or more of my problem than the exhaust. biggrin.gif I was running Weber 40IDAs that had been massaged by Jerry Woods. smile.gif With K&N air filters with water shields.

Cool, I'd like to have that contact if we can find it.

The engine is Motronic but without an air box.

Regards,
Kevin
Dave_Darling
I think the local guy was Pete Weber. I think he still makes "Phase 9" mufflers, or a variation thereof. I believe you can also get them from Racer Chris (AKA Tangerine Racing). Not sure how much customization will be needed though.

--DD
lapuwali
Refitting or making a new airbox will substantially reduce your intake noise, which is a large percentage of the overall noise. Unless the stock airbox is really restrictive, you're not going to lose much power, and what you lose will all be off the very top.
DanT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 26 2006, 07:38 PM) *

I think the local guy was Pete Weber. I think he still makes "Phase 9" mufflers, or a variation thereof. I believe you can also get them from Racer Chris (AKA Tangerine Racing). Not sure how much customization will be needed though.

--DD

Nope not his Phase 9s. These were stock styled 911 mufflers that had custom baffling and twin sport pipes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.