Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Last week someone posted and they had mentioned someone with 4 bolt to 5 lug adapters.
They also mentioned the guy was racing with them.
Can it be true?
Do they exist?
If so where do you get them?
Andyrew
They exist. Are not alowed to be used for racing (spacer/adapters)

They are considered cheap, made cheap, and they add an inch to your hub spacing. Thus LIMITING what you can run. Only late model offset wheels can run.

Not avalible new.

post a wtb.
tracks914
Ok WTB 4 lug to 5 lug adapters. Also check want ads, I will post there too!!
Aaron Cox
they are junk....
Rand
they are junk

I believe that. I can speculate about extra stuff added to the end, more stuff to come loose, more unsprung weight, etc. But what's the bottom line? What goes wrong?
Andyrew
I havent seen any break yet...

But they look really cheasy.. and limit the wheels.. and need to be checked frequently, and dont have hubcentric...

So.Cal.914
There was at one time alot of companys selling them, not any more. I heard that

it boiled down to liability, that they were breaking, wheels falling off, sh!t like that.

I sudjest you save your money and do it right.
Mueller
I blame most of the problems with the 4 to 5 lug adapters on CHEAP ASS 914 owners that would buy the POS cast aluminum units from JC Whitney and CB Performance...I mean, what do you expect for $40 for a complete set???

I had a set on a parts car that I had to remove which had stripped nuts, I drilled out the studs with a cheap drill and cheap bits, the adapter studs cut like butter, thier hardness was nothing like the good quality bolts or studs Porsche uses

In the picture below, the smaller holes are 14mm, the larger holes are for the adapter to be bolted down and those are for the recess of the nuts. The hole at the 3 o'clock position is normally a long stud which goes into the hub, has nut on it to hold it to the hub and then it passes thru the wheel with another nut.

The holes at the 12 and 6 o'clock postion are too close to the new studs, it gets even worse when you add in the diameter of the stud head which is not shown.

People have run them on the street and auto-x, but those that ran auto-x probebly got lucky and didn't get failed at tech.

Click to view attachment
cobra94563
My parts car came with them, and 15x6 oem fuchs with 195/50. Seem to fit. Rear fenders rolled.

Can't comment on strength, I plan to use a different setup.

I've seen them retail for 150-400, so maybe there are some better quality versions.

biggrin.gif

davep
These things are hazardous to your health. I don't think an insurance company would look upon them favourably in the event of an accident.
John
Years ago (22 to be exact), they used to sell steel ones that were about an inch thick. The 5-lug portion had steel threaded studs and used one of the original 4 bolts with a "special" long bolt.

My dad bought a set and we never had a problem with them. We used them on the track for probably the first two seasons 19 years ago without incident. When we required larger brakes, we went 911 front and 914-6 rear.

Sometime in the last 17 years or so, they have dissappeared. Perhaps we sold them at a swap meet? I have no knowledge of aluminum adapters.

Converting with real parts is cheap enough if you take your time and shop around for the best deals. My current car uses early 911 parts front and rear (I use hybrid 914/6 axles and 911 CV joints with 911 stub axles).

BTW, I also have my functional 911 e-brakes working with stock 914/4 e-brake cables.
Eric_Shea
BTW, I also have my functional 911 e-brakes working with stock 914/4 e-brake cables.

hijacked.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
John
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 27 2006, 09:20 AM) *

hijacked.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I thought this might bring some interest, so I hid it in this post. I'll post some pics later tonight when I take them. I just completed my e-brake conversion and got the cables and e-brake handle installed last night. They work MUCH better than the stock ones ever did. I wanted to keep stock 914/4 cables and the stock handle.
Eric_Shea
Get your stupid space saver off the scales and take some pics! biggrin.gif
John
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 27 2006, 09:31 AM) *

Get your stupid space saver off the scales and take some pics! biggrin.gif

Yes dear.

Man, everyone is starting to sound like my wife......... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Can ya pick up some 2% on the way home? lol3.gif
tracks914
I now see CB and the bird still sell them. Pelicans look much better but also cost 6 times as much.
Oh what to do??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.