Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longitudinal Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
My 914 is finished. Pictures will be posted when I get both the camera and the computer close enough together to be sync'd, which isnt now.

Anyway, I met another 914 locally and he had this car he wanted me to look at and get working again.

Problem with this car is the long is missing the lower part of it, so instead of a box its a C with the bottom missing. The sides look okay from what I could see, but the rocker panels weren't coming off at the moment was looking.

Paid WAY TOO much for the car he recieved, but he hired me to fix everything on the car, from rust repair to final touches.

Good part here is that I'm splitting the $$ with a buddy of mine that is also a VW fanatic, so we'll get this done much quicker.

Anyway, I was wondering if the clamshells Brad Mayeur sells will cover the lower part of the long once all the rust is found, cut and patched.

b
mikelsr
Britt,
Congrats on getting your car done. My condolences on starting another one! biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 27 2006, 04:58 AM) *

My 914 is finished. Pictures will be posted when I get both the camera and the computer close enough together to be sync'd, which isnt now.

Anyway, I met another 914 locally and he had this car he wanted me to look at and get working again.

Problem with this car is the long is missing the lower part of it, so instead of a box its a C with the bottom missing. The sides look okay from what I could see, but the rocker panels weren't coming off at the moment was looking.

Paid WAY TOO much for the car he recieved, but he hired me to fix everything on the car, from rust repair to final touches.

Good part here is that I'm splitting the $$ with a buddy of mine that is also a VW fanatic, so we'll get this done much quicker.

Anyway, I was wondering if the clamshells Brad Mayeur sells will cover the lower part of the long once all the rust is found, cut and patched.

b

Call Brad he can tell you everything you need to know about his kit. 309-694-1797
Bleyseng
Why not weld in a new long piece first then install the BM clamshell?
grasshopper
agree.gif that would just be covering up rust behind it.. Fix the rust behind, and then weld the BM kit on. Sounds like it will be fun!
dwillouby
Britt,
My car has the BM kit on it. Stop by and check it out. I can raise it up for you once I get my jack home. smile.gif

David
Cano
Britt:

Once I cut all the cancer out of mine there was basically no passenger bottom long just forward of the battery tray. Since I was putting on Brad's kit anyway, I was able to weld some metal to brad's kit before welding it on the car.

BTW, Brad's kit only covers the outside of the long and half of the bottom, as it welds to the long along the bottom seam. Crawl under yours and you will see the seam that it welds to (where the drain holes are, which have to be relocated to the inner part of the seam if you install the kit). Feel free to look at mine if you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.