Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
I posted a question last week about a change in my shift pattern with all the gears being a little further to the left.

The reponse (thanks Kevin et al) was that I needed to adjust the shifter.

The stupid question now is how. Is this a matter of shimming the base plate, or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(BenNC @ Oct 7 2003, 02:41 PM)
... I needed to adjust the shifter.
The stupid question now is how.

proces is described in the Haynes, unless it's completely different for the side shifter, which is possible (i donno, never had a side-shifter car) but i'd still expect it to be documented either in the usual books or on the birdy site or somewhere ...

on the tailshift units, there's an access to the splined slipjoint visible through a removable panel on the center tunnel just forward of the firewall. undo the clamps and rotate the rod or lenghten or shorten the rod as needed to make the change you need...

hope this can get you pointed, anyway.

i'd love to hear the sideshift procedure, if it's different (probably...) so i'll be watching this thread too :-) ...
redshift
Same thing.

M
JWest
This is for the RennShift, but the procedure is about the same:

Side-shift install

Red-beard's trans rebuild page also details the adjustment, but I don't have the link for that.
Red-Beard
Home Page

I think I updated the info, but the link may not be updated...

Tailshift Transmission Adjustments

Aligning the shift rod. I spent a great deal of time aligning my shift rod
on my 914/6, which is an original tail shifter. The best way to align the
shifter is to put the car in 2nd gear, then align the shifter so that 2nd
gear is selected when shifter is riding up against the lockout plate with no
pressure. This gives you a "slot" for 2nd and 3rd. 1st and reverse will then
require a significant effort against the lockout springs to select.

1st - replace all shift bushings. Don't forget the firewall bushing.

Disconnect the shifter in the passenger compartment and inspect the lockout
plate. If it does not look like this, replace it. Note, the picture is
inverted, you'll be looking from the other side.

Under the car, select 2nd gear (Shift selector on the transmission in the
middle and rotated toward the front of the car). Now, clamp the shift-rod
into place with a pair of vise-grips.

Loosen the Bolt under the center cushion, in the passenger compartment.
Adjust the forward/backward position of 2nd so that it is in a comfortable
spot, but not too far back. Adjust the selector side to side so that it
touches the lockout plate without pressure, now move it off the lockout
plate just a hair (to the right). Lock the shaft down by tightening the
Bolt.

Remove the vise-grips. Shift it into 3rd. If it's too far forward, loosen
and slide the shift selector back. Repeat the 3rd and 2nd alignment until it
where you want it forward and back.

Once you have it set, disconnect the shift rod for the last time and
reinstall the cover. Grease everything with a high-temperature grease.

Side Shift:

Aligning the shift rod. I spent a great deal of time aligning my shift rod on my 914/6, which is an original tail shifter. The best way to align the shifter is to put the car in 3nd gear, then align the shifter so that 3nd gear is selected when shifter is riding up against the lockout plate with no pressure. This gives you a "slot" for 2nd and 3rd. 1st and reverse will then require a significant effort against the lockout springs to select.

1st - replace all shift bushings. Don't forget the firewall bushing.

Disconnect the shifter in the passenger compartment and inspect the lockout plate. If it does not look like this, replace it. Note, the picture is inverted, you'll be looking from the other side.

Under the car, select 3nd gear (Shift selector on the transmission in the middle and rotated toward the front of the car). Now, clamp the shift-rod into place with a pair of vise-grips.

Loosen the Bolt under the gear selector in the passenger compartment. Adjust the forward/backward position of 3rd so that it is in a comfortable spot, but not too far back. Adjust the selector side to side so that it touches the lockout plate without pressure. Now move it off the lockout plate a hair (to the right). Lock the shaft down by tightening the Bolt.

Remove the vise-grips. Shift it into 2nd. If it’s too far forward, loosen and slide the shift selector back. Repeat the above alignment until its where you want it forward and back.

Once you have it set, disconnect the shift rod for the last time and reinstall the cover. Grease everything with a high-temperature grease.

Happy shifting,

James
redshift
When I adjust them, I place the car in second, disco the fore-aft rods, put the shifter where I want second (did you know humans have knees?) and tighten it down.

I use the lockout, but I do provide 2-3 a little relief off the -absolute edge- of the lock-out.

Otto can make a 901 side shift feel gated.

Post 916.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.